• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Eyepiece Thred (1 Viewer)

I tried some Astro eyepieces in my Nikon 50ED and after unscrewing the bottom barrel to make the eyepiece shorter I could use it long and short distance.

Mayoayo I contacted the fellow Mark on Astromart about making an adapter, but he never replied back yet.

Hi Steve....Which eyepieces are You using?..The Extra Flat 16mm is very nice,I think you would like it.I think Vortex and ZEN RAY made a good choice,be cause it does a good job in spotters..And so does the BST explorer(i think they sell like the Criterion Dual in the USA,and others),but is more complicated to adapt with the two elements..I would be interested in knowing about your experieces with astro eyepieces in Nikon...The main thing with Nikon would be to find a decent Zoom..I tried an ED82 in a hide yesterday,that belonged to a fellow birder,and the Zoom was REALLY uncomfortable .Noticeably narrower that other zoom eyepieces, ,and definitely not enough eye relief for me. But the Nikon mount would not allow any other Zoom to sit deep enough,i dont think,due to the narrow mount socket.

To be truthful about this, you got me interested and all I did was hold the eyepiece up to the ED50 just to try and see if it would work. I didn't even have the scope mounted or anything. This was an Orion Or. 12.5mm eyepiece. The adapter would have to be female threaded like a Astro filter[but female] on the one end and then the other end the male M32-0.8 pitch and short enough.
I never heard from Mark P from Astromart, I kind of doubt I will.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back