• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

update to question about d7200 lens on d850 (1 Viewer)

bob2455

I want to use the sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG contemporary lens from d7200 on the d850 for wildlife thanks for all replies

I want to use the sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG contemporary lens from d7200 on the d850 for wildlife thanks for all replies

Will work. Of course you will have less reach as it will be a true 150-600, not a 225-900 like on the 7200 (due to the 1.5x cropfactor of the DX body).

Haven't got the facts to hand but i think the 7200 is 24mp and a DX crop from the 850 will be 20mp so not a lot in it although a few more pixels on subject from the 7200.
Your lens will be 150-600 on both cameras its only the FOV that changes due to the crop factor.

Haven't got the facts to hand but i think the 7200 is 24mp and a DX crop from the 850 will be 20mp so not a lot in it although a few more pixels on subject from the 7200.
Your lens will be 150-600 on both cameras its only the FOV that changes due to the crop factor.

Hey Mike,

I remember you recommending the Nikon D7200 to me several years ago, and its turned out to be a great camera, so many thanks for that.

Ive recently purchased the Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG contemporary lens, as i will be travelling to Africa next year, and looking to go on several Safari's, so i will let you know how i go on with the lens when i get back to the U.K.

Last edited:
I use the Tamron 150-500 G2 on the nikon d500 and d850. I've now sold my d500 and use only the d850. You can see various photos from it on my website (https://tear.com/photo-albums). You should have very good experience with the Sigma on the d850. I lost a few FPS, but I like shooting the d850 more (the d850 does have a 30 FPS live-view mode for shooting DX-sized that is 100% silent electronic shutter).

A note on "reach." It will be the same or better than your d7200 on the d850. The d850 cropped down to DX format is still about 19MP, and I think they are a much better 19MP than the d500's 21MP. I've cropped the d850 with Tamron 150-600 way down at some pretty high ISO and it keeps pretty well.

Yes, technically by the specs the d7200 at 24MP is better than the d850 cropped at 19MP, but the IQ of the d850 will be better and its focusing will be better and its dynamic range will be better.

I do not both to shoot the d850 in DX crop mode (which is an option even with FX lenses). I prefer to keep the field of view wider to account for subjects coming closer. Cropping in post will be the same as cropping up front (except for file size).

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back