• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stealth SW 80ED (1 Viewer)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
I've decided to go a bit ' fernando ' and upgrade / recover the Skywatcher ED80.

The focuser is from Rother Valley Optics - thanks to Paul who posted the link, and they price matched another website.
RVO were selling the Focuser for £125 + £5 delivery, and f1Telescopes were selling them at £121.59 Including delivery

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk...-2-quot-1-25-quot-crayford-focuser_d2988.html

http://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/shop.php?id=1630&level=

The Tube assembly was stripped down and Stone Finish coated with some stuff from Rust-Oleum, and then I top coated in VHT matt black, and cooked the tube ( and hood ) at 50 degrees for 30mins, and then 100 degrees for 20 mins.

Instant stealth SW80 ED :t:

Attachments

• Focuser.jpg
    Focuser.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Focuser 2.jpg
    Focuser 2.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Focuser 3.jpg
    Focuser 3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 254
Looks really neat, what benefits would you say you get over the original focuser you are getting, also whats that handle thing protruding from the bottom of your 393 head ?

The focuser itself is velvet smooth - like its running through treacle compared to the notchy feel of the old rack and pinion focuser. Also, i noticed that when i had whole kit at full extension ( focuser and extension tube at max length ) , there was a very slight bend in the old rack and pinion focuser, due to the weight.. not noticable when racked back right in though, as obviously the focuser wasnt feeling the weight as much.

Doesnt seem to be an issue with this new one

The handle thing is actually a handle that tilts and locks. Its not on my 393 Gimbal though. Its part of my Kennet Engineering tripod

By the way, the new focsuser is heavier than the old one. But the engineering and quality is way ahead - its a huge difference

Last edited:
Musoman, your 80 ED came with Rack and Pinion focuser? I belief the newer black ones comes with Crayford. Would that be similar to your new focuser? Is the dual speed focusing critical or just a bigger wheel would do the same thing. Optional 1:10 transmission cost another 59 Euro.

Your new coating are beautifully done and certainly fierce looking.

Yes, it seems the new 80ED's come with a dual focuser, but of the photos i've seen, seems that its not the exact same as the replacement model i bought for mine.

I dont know yet how useful the dual focusing will be in the field. I now Paul C gets very on well without the need for dual focusing. Others love it.

Thanks for the compliment

Yeah, Paul C said he doesn't need the fine focuser because he is already firing so well without it and wouldn't be bothered. But for us beginners, it might be critical especially when our eyes aren't trained yet.

Do continue to keep everybody here posted of your progress.

Looks nice musoman. The new baked on paint job looks cool too.

I've not got any bend in my Skywatcher focuser and it runs smoothly which is why I've never changed it, plus my scope gets so beat up I'd be scared of getting it all scratched up. There's 3 grub screws underneath it which can be tightened to get rid of any slack. The two tiny ones should remove any bend in the focuser when it's fully out. The third bigger grub screw will set the tension for the winding the focuser in and out. I've stripped mine down a couple of times just to clean out any muck too which keeps it running well.

Paul.

Nice to see you back ;)

I think the bending ( only slight ) of the old SW rack and pinion focuser had something to do with the weight of the 40D, which is more than the 450d ( i think ) and I also hung a Canon grip with 2 batteries on as well, plus at full extension, this was a bit much , weight wise. But this new focuser is the business

Didn't do any birding at all while there as it was purely a family holiday. Got to see plenty of birds while out and about but didn't take the scope, just had a cheap point and shoot camera. Passed one field most days though that had a couple of Buzzards sat on hay bails each time we drove by and would have liked some shots of them as they were in a great setting.

Going away for Christmas and shall have the scope with me then.

Paul.

Didn't do any birding at all while there as it was purely a family holiday. Got to see plenty of birds while out and about but didn't take the scope, just had a cheap point and shoot camera. Passed one field most days though that had a couple of Buzzards sat on hay bails each time we drove by and would have liked some shots of them as they were in a great setting.

Going away for Christmas and shall have the scope with me then.

Paul.

Oh what a shame.....without your scope. Your mouth must be watering at some of the birds..LOL. Well, family always comes first. Good on you.o:)o:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back