• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens diameter relating to better images (1 Viewer)

poledark

Bearing in mind that usually a larger front lens on a scope gives a brighter clearer image, would it be reasonable to expect the same from a camera lens?

Generally the longer the lens then the larger the front diameter.

I ask this as the forthcoming P1000 has a considerably larger front lens than the P900 and is it then likely that this might give a brighter sharper image at 2/3rds zoom (2000mm) than the p900 does at full zoom (2000mm)

Just curious, as considering buying P1000.

Den

The end diameter is more associated with the max aperture and focal length, in some ways you are right a wider aperture lens is normally associated with a pro lens so better IQ.

I think in this case though it was just what it had to be.

I don't think it's a clear answer. A larger diameter for the same focal length will give you a larger (faster) aperture which helps auto focus a lot. But, its usually heavier and more awkward to hold so you might shake more. Lenses are often not linear in their minimum aperture vs. zoom range. So it might or might not be better at 2000mm. You'd need to look at the specs to figure out what the actual aperture is at that focal length.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back