• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which compact/travel scope please? (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

I would like advice on which compact/travel scope to buy please. I am looking at the Opticron MM2 ED and the Nikon ED50 but am open to other suggestions. I have mobility/ neck problems (and a female of light build too) and feel something compact would be best, so this will be my only scope. I would like to try my hand at digiscoping having been quite excited at the results I got from using my CanonA95 with my bins! I already have a tripod from my SLR photography days. I understand from entries in the forums that the MM2 is better with one of the HDF eyepieces but can someone tell me which would be best for me - fixed or zoom? Which eyepiece is best for the Nikon? I have not tried any scopes at all yet, but will be doing so soon. Any help would be most welcome.

amelia1730 said:
I would like advice on which compact/travel scope to buy please. I am looking at the Opticron MM2 ED and the Nikon ED50 but am open to other suggestions. I have mobility/ neck problems (and a female of light build too) and feel something compact would be best, so this will be my only scope. I would like to try my hand at digiscoping having been quite excited at the results I got from using my CanonA95 with my bins! I already have a tripod from my SLR photography days. I understand from entries in the forums that the MM2 is better with one of the HDF eyepieces but can someone tell me which would be best for me - fixed or zoom? Which eyepiece is best for the Nikon? I have not tried any scopes at all yet, but will be doing so soon. Any help would be most welcome.

uhm I've never compared the two so someone else will have to help you as to optics.

The Nikon is better built. Its waterproof for a start.
The Opticron is cheaper when you add in the lens probably £100 or so.

As to lenses? for the Opticron the HDF lenses that give 18 or 24 or the zoom.
For the Nikon the fixed lenses giving 16,20 and 27 will be fine as will the zoom. For digiscoping the 27x may be too powerful.....

As to fixed or zoom? A fixed will have better fov and probably give a better image. A zoom is more flexible. It comes down to preference.

amelia1730 said:

You probably ought to check whether that tripod gives you sufficient height and still sufficient stability. If you need to replace it, go for a carbon fibre type. These are more expensive, but you want stability and good optics. My combination of tripod, head and 60mm scope weighs in at 3.2 kilograms. If you think that would still be OK, go for a larger scope, otherwise go for the ED50. The larger (60 mm ED III) scope would be considerably better suited if you really want to do some serious digiscoping. And you definitely want an ED version scope for that.

Swissboy said:
You probably ought to check whether that tripod gives you sufficient height and still sufficient stability. If you need to replace it, go for a carbon fibre type. These are more expensive, but you want stability and good optics. My combination of tripod, head and 60mm scope weighs in at 3.2 kilograms. If you think that would still be OK, go for a larger scope, otherwise go for the ED50. The larger (60 mm ED III) scope would be considerably better suited if you really want to do some serious digiscoping. And you definitely want an ED version scope for that.

Good point - something I hadn't really thought of. It is a lightweight tripod (Slik Gazelle if I remember correctly) used with a zoom lens on my SLR but often without the legs fully extended (I am only 5ft 4in). The SLR kit weighs 1.2kg. The Nikon and the MM2 kit would weigh less so I guess it would be OK.
Thanks for your help.

I too have neck / mobility issues, the ED50 wasn't my first choice; as I initially thought that 50mm optics were too small to be useful. However a weekend lugging around an ES80 + tripod has forced me to think again :)

I looked through the standard MM2 and wasn't all that impressed by the quality and lack of waterproofing, anyway I ended up purchasing the ED50 this afternoon. After trying several scope options side by side over the last couple of days at In-Focus.

Personally I found the MCII Fieldscope Zoom to be the most versatile eyepiece, 13-40x on the ED50, nice and bright at the lower to mid magnifications, a little dark at 40x but still useable general viewing - So far I’m more than happy with my choice.

All I need now is a nice and light carbon tripod to suit.

Regards

Mark

I'd go for the Nikon - it's a very well made, waterproof design and offers such a very bright view that really does belie its amazingly light weight and compact size. I use mine with a Cullman chest/shoulder pod or a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF tripod. It's a dream scope if you have neck/shoulder problems (as I have, too). My favourite eyepiece is the 17xW eyepiece but I tend to use it mainly with the 27x as standard (as the other is borrowed from my son's ED82!). The zoom is also very good - it's a matter of personal choice.

Last edited:
scampo said:
I use mine with a Cullman chest/shoulder pod or a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF tripod.

Hi Steve,

Just out of interest, which model CF are you using with the ED50, Warehouse Express offer five differing sizes - Which are you using and how do you rate it?

Cheers

Mark

Hi - it's the Velbon Sherpa Pro 531EL. It's a very good tripod but if I was buying again, I'd go for one with longer legs. I'd say mine would ideally suit someone up to perhaps 6'0" although, to be fair, it's fine for me with about 6"-9" of centre column extension and is still a very firm and rigid support. I have the Manfrotto 700RC2 head on it which is very smoothly damped, firm and light in weight - ideal for either my Zeiss 85 or Nikon ED50 (which is so tiny it looks a bit lost on a tripod).

Looking at the Warehouse Express site, I am not too sure whether they don't have the wrong sizes showing for the CF models - the heavier more expensive model shows as being less high at maximum extension.

Last edited:
amelia1730 said:

I have HDF and SDL zooms for my Midget, the HDF is quite adequate - I much prefer the versatilty of zooms.
When I go out with the scope it could be to woods, large estuary, city park - a zoom is a compromise but one I prefer - I'm the same with camera lenses.
As you have neck problems be sure to buy the angled scope - I bought a straight one and my neck doesn't like it.
I've been using the Midget for over a year in all weathers and not had any problems , it slips into a pocket, the HDF zoom range of 12-36x absolutely ideal, it's brighter than I thought it would be and has no chromatic abberation.
I now also use an ES80 ED which is 20-60x and find the minimum of 20x a bit restrictive - it's very difficult to find birds quickly - the 12x of the Midget is much easier to manage.
The Midget can easily be used hand held too especially if you get the 'grippa' case for it.
When I bought the ES80 I kept the Midget because I can't carry the DSLR gear and a big scope - the Midget however is only as big as my 70-300 lens and about the same weight.

If you buy the Midget check Opticrons website here as they often have promotional offers on freebies for scope purchases - you don't have to purchase the scope from them - just supply a proof of purchase from wherever you got it.

scampo said:
I'd go for the Nikon - it's a very well made, waterproof design and offers such a very bright view that really does belie its amazingly light weight and compact size. I use mine with a Cullman chest/shoulder pod or a Velbon Sherpa Pro CF tripod. It's a dream scope if you have neck/shoulder problems (as I have, too). My favourite eyepiece is the 17xW eyepiece but I tend to use it mainly with the 27x as standard (as the other is borrowed from my son's ED82!). The zoom is also very good - it's a matter of personal choice.

Hi
What would I be missing out on if I went for the zoom rather than a fixed eyepiece?

I tried out the MM2, the Nikon and the RSPB AG60 kit yesterday at Titchwell. Ruled out the MM2 even with an HDF eyepiece. Was very impressed with the RSPB kit - for £410 you could have the angled body, a 19x fixed eyepiece, plus a zoom, case and tripod! However, I have decided on the Nikon. I just need to stop dithering and sort out the eyepiece. I'm really not sure what to go for. If I explain what I want my scope for perhaps someone can shove me in the right direction. I really appreciate all the comments and help given so far.

I would use my scope mainly for scanning fields behind my house (distance 200yds approx), occasionally in a woodland setting, viewing farmland (from a vehicle parked on the land) and garden use, to get close-ups of birds. I am keen to try my hand at digiscoping, as I mentioned before. The close up views of birds is important to me. I was thrilled when we went on a guided walk at Titchwell a while back and watched, through a scope, a sedge warbler feeding it's babies. It was the first time I had seen a small bird so close, in such detail. Made quite an impression on me.

Once again, thanks to all who have commented so far.

All zooms give a somewhat reduced field of view when compared to a fixed wide angle eyepiece, but the Nikon zoom on that scope works very well.

So - go for the zoom and maybe later you might think about adding a lower power fixed wide angle eyepiece which would be useful for digiscoping as the fixed eyepieces are easier to use with digital cameras. When you do decide on digiscoping, think about the SRB~Griturn swing adapter - I use one with a Fuji F30 and it really does make the process of taking pictures as easy as it can be.

Last edited:
amelia1730 said:
I would use my scope mainly for scanning fields behind my house (distance 200yds approx), occasionally in a woodland setting, viewing farmland (from a vehicle parked on the land) and garden use, to get close-ups of birds. I am keen to try my hand at digiscoping, as I mentioned before. The close up views of birds is important to me.

Personally I'd go for the zoom on the ED50 - the low end is very bright and wide and ideal for scanning. If birds are a long way off (or if you just want to get an extremely close up view) you can zoom up to 40x, and still get a very good image.

scampo said:
All zooms give a somewhat reduced field of view when compared to a fixed wide angle eyepiece, but the Nikon zoom on that scope works very well.

So - go for the zoom and maybe later you might think about adding a lower power fixed wide angle eyepiece which would be useful for digiscoping as the fixed eyepieces are easier to use with digital cameras. When you do decide on digiscoping, think about the SRB~Griturn swing adapter - I use one with a Fuji F30 and it really does make the process of taking pictures as easy as it can be.

Thanks for that Steve. Don't want to make any mistakes. I'm not earning due to my health probs so have to make this a one off purchase. I feel it's a lot of cash to spend. Have just had a look at the info on the SRB-Griturn adapter. May well have to add that to the list after a tripod upgrade!
Marion

postcardcv said:
Personally I'd go for the zoom on the ED50 - the low end is very bright and wide and ideal for scanning. If birds are a long way off (or if you just want to get an extremely close up view) you can zoom up to 40x, and still get a very good image.

I agree at 13x the view is very wide. its the one thing I miss on switching back to the Leica or any other scope with a zoom eyepiece.

The way these expensive scopes are talked about here must make it seem as if everyone here is wealthy. That's definitely not so - but I do sympathise with you when every penny counts. Birding is a wonderful hobby, though, and I think you will find your investment will repay itself. It's the kind of hobby that can truly lift your spirits and good optics give the ability to see the finedetail of birds that would otherwise elude the eye. The ED50 is very well made and will last well if cared for; it's also a tough scope that is waterproof. You won't regret its purchase, I feel sure.

scampo said:
The way these expensive scopes are talked about here must make it seem as if everyone here is wealthy. That's definitely not so - but I do sympathise with you when every penny counts. Birding is a wonderful hobby, though, and I think you will find your investment will repay itself. It's the kind of hobby that can truly lift your spirits and good optics give the ability to see the finedetail of birds that would otherwise elude the eye. The ED50 is very well made and will last well if cared for; it's also a tough scope that is waterproof. You won't regret its purchase, I feel sure.

I agree - it is a wonderful hobby. I am still fairly new to it all and have loads to learn but have already found that it does indeed lift the spirits and give you something to get out of bed for. Having been 'confined to barracks' for 7 years or more, with neck and balance problems, it has kept me sane. A hobby you can partake in from your own kitchen window initially, using just a pair of eyes, is a joy. Now my binoculars are never far from hand even when cooking! It is sad that so many people go about their daily life without seeing what's around them and miss out on so much. I feel lucky. By the way, I have taken the plunge and ordered the ED50 plus zoom this afternoon.............can't wait!
Thanks for your help.
Marion

amelia1730 said:
Now my binoculars are never far from hand even when cooking!
Marion

LOL, know the feeling!!! I even keep a small pair in my handbag now for those times when interesting birds just turn up. ;)

joannechattaway said:
LOL, know the feeling!!! I even keep a small pair in my handbag now for those times when interesting birds just turn up. ;)

thinks, should have pair in brief case.........

Amelia the Nikon is a great little scope you won't be disappointed. to get something better you'd get something weighing alot lot more!!

amelia1730 said:
...I have taken the plunge and ordered the ED50 plus zoom this afternoon.............can't wait!
Thanks for your help.
Marion
Let us all know how you find it. You're in for a treat!

scampo said:
Let us all know how you find it. You're in for a treat!

WOW!

All my Christmases have come at once!

It arrived this morning just as I was going to an appointment with my husband. How frustrating was that?! Now I'm like a kid with a new toy...........

Goodbye cooking and household chores - I will be too busy at the bedroom window!

I am thrilled with the ED50 and can't wait to use it properly on Sunday. Will let you all know how I find it when I've calmed down!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back