• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus on D7200 (1 Viewer)

gerald762

England
I have been recently trying back button focus on this camera. However the images don't come out quite as sharp as when I use the shutter button to focus and shoot. Any suggestions as to why this might be?

Not a Nikon user, but do you introduce more shake this way than previously? A way to test would be to set shutter speeds very high for some test shots. If the problem disappears then you might need to think about how to change your handling

Niels

Are you using AF-S or AF-C? I don't think AF-S would be a great mode as there is a delay between focus and shutter release.

Personally, handheld, it is too many buttons to press at one time for me, especially with a big lens. On a tripod, no problem. I mostly use BBF to focus trap on a spot to catch bird (i.e. hummingbirds) when they fly into land or take off.

Marc
Marc

Thanks for the replies I am definitely on AF-C, with a shutter speed of 1/1600 th. I was also using a tripod. I will check out the video links soon.

Unless it's changed from me having the D7200 BBF overrides focus priority so you can take pictures that are not in focus.

I'm not sure on the d7200. On the d500, d850 you can select focus priorty independently of BBF. If you set focus priority + BBF, you can focus trap. That means you can focus on a spot, fully press the shutter release and if there's nothing in focus it will not release. Then when a critter (i.e. hummingbird) flies into the focus spot it will release (or multiple release if you have CL or CH selected). I usually use 9-point or 15-point AF areas, as those allow me to pic a spot that is out of focus compared to the perch and still get a bit of area AF going.

Marc

I’ve messed around with BBF on the D7200 and decided I didn’t much like it. However I watched a tutorial on how to set it up and I made sure I disabled AF on the shutter release, if that has any relevance?

I’ve messed around with BBF on the D7200 and decided I didn’t much like it. However I watched a tutorial on how to set it up and I made sure I disabled AF on the shutter release, if that has any relevance?

Sounds like the most likely explanation. The setting should be AF-On only, otherwise the camera focuses (again) when you press the shutter button.

Hermann
who uses BBF on all
his cameras ... :t:

On some Nikons the default for AF-C is release priority, so it will start shooting as soon as you press the shutter even if not focused. It should converge to focus as you press the BBF button.

Personally, I use focus priority, not release priority, for AF-C.

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back