• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

It seems that the winter will come again this year. At least if I conclude something about birds movements.

#61. Common Crane - And not just one, but something between 160 - 190 birds flew to the West.

Yesterday was the first day for two weeks when I didn't see any Phylloscopus at my garden. Also Redstarts seems to have gone. But there was still one Lesser Whitethroat, couple Robins and:

#62. Garden Warbler - I think this was first one that I have ever seen in my Garden. B :)

It seems that the winter will come again this year. At least if I conclude something about birds movements.

#61. Common Crane - And not just one, but something between 160 - 190 birds flew to the West.

Yesterday was the first day for two weeks when I didn't see any Phylloscopus at my garden. Also Redstarts seems to have gone. But there was still one Lesser Whitethroat, couple Robins and:

#62. Garden Warbler - I think this was first one that I have ever seen in my Garden. B :)

What an amazing sight those Cranes must have been! As for Garden Warbler, it certainly seems a misnomer to me, I have only ever seen one in a garden!

Summer is starting to arrive here, with a number of summer birds returning. But sadly my tiny inner-city garden is very unlikely to attract any of them! Still, I can hopefully look forward to our Channel-billed Cuckoos and Pacific Koels being back soon.

Along with Chiffy and a Goldcrest this am....out of a bright blue at 8.01 am.......a flypast Yellow Wagtail no.68. Very much less than annual for me, now hoping to make it to 70!

This evening....the gods were smiling!...talking on phone, when I suddenly espied this at end of neighbour's garden.....no 69. Thought I'd indulge in Richard's ''extra limital'' photo contest. ;)

Attachments

• P1370155.jpeg  Mig sp 2..jpeg
    P1370155.jpeg Mig sp 2..jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Flyover 85 Double-crested Cormorant this morning. My first for my county too. 30 km south in Ottawa they are almost a guaranteed daily spot (I saw a raft of 103 yesterday!), however they don't seem to venture over the border into our area very often. Just seen two whilst kayaking too. You never know what is going to turn up!
Now if a Cardinal can venture up here too?!

I suppose that's it, but with that forehead slope and bill it looks almost like one of those Alder Flycatcher types, I reckon Ken's mixed up his US holiday snaps with his garden list folder ;)

Spot fly it is!...albeit my views through bins were completely silhouetted, thus I had to take a shot with the camera and lighten to almost 100% to get the detail on the 2nd image. However upon seeing the bird through the bins in that first inst. kinda conveyed the signature posture and shape of Spot fly of old.

Strangely enough....I only had two sightings of distant empids whilst across the pond....must have been a touch early, as I've tended to see more on previous visits.

The flying ants were swarming Yesterday and a male Blackcap was indulging in an 'on the wing all you can eat buffet' for no. 37!

Chris

Circa a dozen+ Swallows heading SSE over the House early am, preceding a small group of House Martins lingering over the house which included no.70...Sand Martin!

70) Sand Martin, a week or so ago. And today one of the best, Honey Buzzard, no 71. Lots of movement now and finally some big hirundine movement with 500+ Swallows today and flocks of up to 50 Meadow Pipits daily passing through along with an assortment of the usual warblers. I think I am a little ahead of last years tally at this point.

70) Sand Martin, a week or so ago. And today one of the best, Honey Buzzard, no 71. Lots of movement now and finally some big hirundine movement with 500+ Swallows today and flocks of up to 50 Meadow Pipits daily passing through along with an assortment of the usual warblers. I think I am a little ahead of last years tally at this point.

Gr-r-r-r-r-r :-C.......:t:

I've been seeing them everywhere recently and finally had one in the garden:
38) Red-breasted Flycatcher.

Chris

Wow..what a garden bird!.....I've only ever seen 3, and one of those was distant under a heavily shaded canopy.

As for getting one in the garden....Cows might fly! :eek!:

Here's another one for Ken to dream about, zooming south west this evening(the bird, not Ken) while we were waiting for the buyers of the house to visit:
82 Merlin
Only my fourth here in 10 years, one in spring , an April 1st bird (honest!) and 2 October ones.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back