• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

A dark juvenile marsh harrier (probably one of the locals) drifted over Cresswell this morning. It was shown the door by a flock of lapwings that got up and pestered it until it left.

They aren't so pushy when a peregrine turns up. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1230-copy.jpg
    IMG_1230-copy.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 76
Osprey at Derwent Reservoir around 11am today. Flew off East from where the River Derwent enters the reservoir, towards opposite end (dam/sailing club) and out of sight. No idea which county it ended up in by the end of this brief flight!

Also 1 greenshank, 15 curlew and a peregrine all flew over during the morning.

Last edited:
Flycatcher

I went down to Druridge this evening for a hirundine roosting spectacular that failed to materialise. The light was atrocious and the dull overcast might have had something to do with the no-show.

This little chap put on a display that took some of the pain away. He was hunting gnats in front of the hide, running, jumping and catching them in mid-air. Pity the light was so dull. I had to set the camera on ISO1000 just to get a sensible shutter speed.

Attachments

• IMG_1325-copy.jpg
    IMG_1325-copy.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 114
Mistle Thrushes

Thanks for that Brian.

About 10-12 mistle thrushes in a single berry tree in Jesmond this morning, surely more than one family party will be making up that number!

I also see such "family parties" passing through Jesmond/Sandyford, though ten is good number. Helpfully they make a fair bit of noise. I saw around fifty in late summer in the Black Wood of Rannoch in the '80s.

Holywell Dene

Visited Holywell Dene and St Mary's Lighthouse today for the first time since 1974 it certainly brought back happy memories. Nothing exciting but 49 species seen the highlight was two Roseates at the Lighthouse. Also excellent view in front of the public hide at the pond of a Greenshank, Dunlin Ruff and Common Sandpiper. It won't be as long till I'm back again.

Thanks to Gill and Middy and most recently Brian for their helpful advice.:t:

Paul.

Visited Holywell Dene and St Mary's Lighthouse today for the first time since 1974 it certainly brought back happy memories. Nothing exciting but 49 species seen the highlight was two Roseates at the Lighthouse. Also excellent view in front of the public hide at the pond of a Greenshank, Dunlin Ruff and Common Sandpiper. It won't be as long till I'm back again.

Thanks to Gill and Middy and most recently Brian for their helpful advice.:t:

Paul.

Pleased to hear that you had a good day Paul, and that a few waders put in an appearance at the pond and that the Roseates obliged. We may be bumping into you if you keep returning.

Cheers.

Holywell Pond , this PM , Adult Med Gull , Colour ringed ZNV last recorded Beadnell 28/10/10 details here http://www.ntbc.org.uk/Bird%20Notes%20%203%20-%20Origins%20of%20Mediterranean%20Gulls%20vers%202%20March%202011.pdf
It's worth keeping an eye out for any colour ringed birds , note colour, Position on the leg (tibia /tarsus) and relationalship with other rings (red over white ) there is a dedicated website with a list of projects,
so although Med Gulls are my favourites there are many other schemes to look out for.
Also noted 2 Ruff, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Dunlin, Female Pheasant with 7 very large young which is no small feat !!
Brian

I will be soon spending a week in Northumberland and often adopt a local patch - just a quick visit before breakfast type thing. We are near to Holy Island and I thought this would be a good choice. Any tips on where to actually head for once on the island having never birded on their yet.

Hauxley Sunday

A few waders at Hauxley on Sunday...
Knot, Common Sandpiper, Turnstone, Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit, + Yellow Wagtail x 2 on seaweed on beach,.

9 species of butterfly inc. one faded Painted Lady. Last year there were 1000's of these in the NE. I've only had 2 this year.

LAST SUNDAY
Had a COMMON LIZARD basking in the sun at Druridge Pools just off the track to the main hide. You don't see these every day!! Only my second ever in the Bay and found by my 5 year old lad too!

Hi Andy, didn't realise it was you......I spoke to you, your wife and son last Sunday as I was walking down to the hides at Druridge Pools.

Keep that kid interested....he could be the next Attenborough :t:

few whimbrel flying around beacon point this evening. Around 500 waders onthe rocks mix of golden plover knot curlew Rp, dunlin oystercatcher.
FLock of kittiwake feeding on sea off shore.

I was chking out the waders at castle island about 1pm when all the gulls went up and started making alarm calls. Then everything went up and started circling around, after a few mins an osprey came flying down the river circled twice and then went back up river. A nice suprise)

Otherwise 3 ruff and 2 juv dunlin were highlights.

canny days birding...osprey+greenish warbler )

Last edited:
Nice one Gordon. I heard this afternoon that it had flown in off the sea and assumed it had carried on. I didn't find out until too late that it had settled.

Lets hope it's there in the morning.

Was up at Seahouses yesterday morning.

Excellent view of a female sparrowhawk going between the Tumblers (rocks north of the harbour) and the seafront houses' gardens. Also on the Tumblers were Lapwing x 3, Turnstone, Ringed Plover x 5, Oik and Redshank. St Aiden's Beach had Bar tailed godwit x 4, Ringed Plover x 50, plus usual Oiks, Curlew and Redshank.

Annstead Point had Grey Plover, Curlew, Ringed Plover, Redshank and the star bird, a female Merlin sat on one of the ridges of sharp rock at low tide. Annstead Beach had 5 Bar tailed Godwit, 2 Redshank, piles of blackheaded gull, and the golf course behind the beach had 6 Curlew feeding on it too.

diy seaweed hanging

Am told JGS is sick of the bbc and its dodgy weather forecasts, so hes invested money in a weatehr forecast system, just in time for the autumn season....

worth the monies )

Attachments

• chart.jpg
    chart.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 99
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back