• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (4 Viewers)

Sure you wouldn't rather have a computer in charge and the sooner it becomes practicable the better?
John

Nope, I'll take my chances as is currently stands. Given the occasional fatalities due to human error, quite a few incidents have been down to a malfunction of "fly by wire" or integrated systems controlled by the on board computers. Look at the ongoing problems with the Boeing 737MAX for what is purported to be a new safety feature on an aircraft. I accept that it may have been inadequate pilot training that contributed to the two accidents but for me the captain should be able to take over and fly the plane at a flick of a switch, not the other way around.

It will happen eventually I guess. Makes me smile wryly when I recall the RAF F35 pilots training and one couldn't start it as, " Computer says no." Wrong password or incorrect biometrics recognition so it had to be rebooted or switched off for a couple of minutes. Never happened to Clint in " Firefox".

Obviously I agree with the concept in regard to a rogue pilot but how often has that happened in the era of the jetliner.

All the best.

Nope, I'll take my chances as is currently stands. Given the occasional fatalities due to human error, quite a few incidents have been down to a malfunction of "fly by wire" or integrated systems controlled by the on board computers. Look at the ongoing problems with the Boeing 737MAX for what is purported to be a new safety feature on an aircraft. I accept that it may have been inadequate pilot training that contributed to the two accidents but for me the captain should be able to take over and fly the plane at a flick of a switch, not the other way around.

It will happen eventually I guess. Makes me smile wryly when I recall the RAF F35 pilots training and one couldn't start it as, " Computer says no." Wrong password or incorrect biometrics recognition so it had to be rebooted or switched off for a couple of minutes. Never happened to Clint in " Firefox".

Obviously I agree with the concept in regard to a rogue pilot but how often has that happened in the era of the jetliner.

All the best.

Imagine 'The few', asking the Luftwaffe, 'I say old chap, would you mind awfully just hanging on a mo, can't seem to get the old thing going'..............

Sadly, reports of a USAF F15C Eagle that has gone down in the North Sea off Flamborough head. Much activity from SAR and support tankers all morning.

Boris's RAF Voyager paintjob, yes or no?

Yes, in regards to planespotters / enthusiasts who seek something different from the plain grey livery now found throughout the fleet.

Last edited:
Boris's RAF Voyager paintjob, yes or no?

Yes, in regards to planespotters / enthusiasts who seek something different from the plain grey livery now found throughout the fleet.

NOOOOOOOOO!

Even without the rather "budget airline" general appearance (just who did design the livery?) the legend above the windows should still read Royal Air Force and be in dark blue rather than the Kardashian-like gilt "United Kingdom". The oversize serial looks naff too.

On the normal Voyagers the grey camouflage (this is an airborne petrol station obliged to lurk not too far from the action) is relieved in excellent nostalgic fashion with a blue cheatline that zigzags near the front, as per older Transport/Air Support Command aircraft.

John

Yeah but no but. This unit wont be used in front line A2A refueling surely wherever or whenever a hostile situation arises. Rather the publicity kudos as it ferries VIP staff, politicians and service folks around the world. How big is the RAF tanker / personnel fleet? There are grey jobbies a plenty out there, plus USA units if need be. Why not have something out of the ordinary, like Russia, China, Japan and other states in funky colours and patterns..... all frontline units. Anything with hostile or threatening intentions will take action way before it comes into visual, be it marine, land or air based.

Come on, fly our flag.

Look at how we felt when we used to drive long distances in our cars during darkness, on Sundays, with the crew all asleep and the needle on E but on a mission of some kind. Suddenly out of the gloom was a brightly coloured sign encouraging us with fuel, saving our souls and replenishing our drained worried fear of slowly spluttering to an untimely end.

Sorry, been out in the sun too long.

Yeah but no but. This unit wont be used in front line A2A refueling surely wherever or whenever a hostile situation arises. Rather the publicity kudos as it ferries VIP staff, politicians and service folks around the world. How big is the RAF tanker / personnel fleet? There are grey jobbies a plenty out there, plus USA units if need be. Why not have something out of the ordinary, like Russia, China, Japan and other states in funky colours and patterns..... all frontline units. Anything with hostile or threatening intentions will take action way before it comes into visual, be it marine, land or air based.

Come on, fly our flag.

We have 14 Voyagers, which thanks to the absurd leasing policy are not all available, a number being in use as airliners and unavailable to the RAF (who can get them repainted and redelivered to service if necessary: define necessary....) The whole of the RAF transport and tanker force that is available is worked as hard as any airliner. Try watching ADSB Exchange for a few days and see how active Brize Norton is as a hub.

Working military staff do not get the benefit of huge aircraft to do long haul these days. Only Boris will.

The states you name have strict airliners as VIP transports, not more expensive tanker/transports running down operational fatigue life. One reason we don't is being strapped for cash: which is as good a reason as any to only use standard airliners even if they have to be chartered in entirety for the odd Prime Ministerial tour of the further reaches of the globe.

But my real objection is simply that the scheme is reminiscent of chavs en route from Essex to the Costa del Lager rather than a hundred years of one of the most respected and effective military forces on the planet or even "the world's favourite airline" any of whose retro schemes are better than this one.

I hope to goodness nobody in Whitehall decides the tail is so cool that it should replace the Red Arrows' current empennage scheme! :eek!:

John

But my real objection is simply that the scheme is reminiscent of chavs en route from Essex to the Costa del Lager , :eek!:
John

That's funny but true, there are elements of garishness if its scrutinised.

Ah well, I was spoilt with Victor's, VC1Os, Vulcans in a myriad of shades and colour schemes. I can but dream on nostalgia.

We have 14 Voyagers, which thanks to the absurd leasing policy are not all available, a number being in use as airliners and unavailable to the RAF (who can get them repainted and redelivered to service if necessary: define necessary....) The whole of the RAF transport and tanker force that is available is worked as hard as any airliner. Try watching ADSB Exchange for a few days and see how active Brize Norton is as a hub.

Working military staff do not get the benefit of huge aircraft to do long haul these days. Only Boris will.

The states you name have strict airliners as VIP transports, not more expensive tanker/transports running down operational fatigue life. One reason we don't is being strapped for cash: which is as good a reason as any to only use standard airliners even if they have to be chartered in entirety for the odd Prime Ministerial tour of the further reaches of the globe.

But my real objection is simply that the scheme is reminiscent of chavs en route from Essex to the Costa del Lager rather than a hundred years of one of the most respected and effective military forces on the planet or even "the world's favourite airline" any of whose retro schemes are better than this one.

I hope to goodness nobody in Whitehall decides the tail is so cool that it should replace the Red Arrows' current empennage scheme! :eek!:John

I've seen claims on non-aviation sites that the Union flag motif is upside down....?
MJB

I've seen claims on non-aviation sites that the Union flag motif is upside down....?
MJB

There's an explanation on Aviation news from an RAF spokesperson saying it's based on the leading edge of the rudder tailfin, being seen as the flagstaff.

Last edited:
There's an explanation on Aviation news from an RAF spokesperson saying it's based on the leading edge of the rudder tailfin, being seen as the flagstaff.

That may go down well with those with good spatial perception...!:king:8-PB :)
MJB

Did anyone see The RAF C-17 Milatary Plane Flyover today? It was aparantly doing training with essentials I wasn't aware of it until I was emptying the dishwasher and saw it fly past heading to the airport, about 5-10 minutes later I saw it fly past my bedroom door. The locations were Edinburgh, Birmingham & Newcastle.

Attachments

• IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back