• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steller's Eider in Reykjavik (1 Viewer)

Big Den

Not sure how rare Steller's Eiders are in Iceland or what there state of play is but a friend of mine was in Reykjavik on March 23rd and had a female close in near to the main harbour by a bright yellow lighthouse if that makes any sense to any locals. Although I don't have any images to hand, he has shown me some record shots that he took and they are definitely of a female Stellar's and thought it may be of some interest to some observers on here.

All the best

Dennis

Hi Dennis

Steller's Eider is very rare in Iceland and since the two very long-staying birds we had have now disappeared, it's become quite sought after again, even a female! I cycle past that lighthouse twice a day.

Hi Dennis

Steller's Eider is very rare in Iceland and since the two very long-staying birds we had have now disappeared, it's become quite sought after again, even a female! I cycle past that lighthouse twice a day.

Hopefully its still around Edward and if you do hear of it being seen again could you let me know as my mate would be quite chuffed to hear it :t:

They aren't great but you can clearly see what it is. Will try to get them off him and I will upload them on here for you.

Couple of Steller's Eiders reported from the other side of the country recently but nothing in Reykjavík. Any sign of those photos from Reykjavík, Dennis? Would be good to be able to document this record properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back