• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ingram Valley & Linhope Spout. (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

Had a hard choice to make this morning, especially as thunderstorms were forecast....do I do the big pile of ironing or do I go birding?
Decided to take the risk of being labelled a bad wife and chose the latter! ;)

So set off for a couple of hours in the Ingram Valley.

Had a good start with plenty of Swallows and Sand Martin and a close up view of a Brown Hare grooming itself in the centre of a field, totally oblivious to the inquisitive group of lambs surrounding it!
A female Goosander was fishing in the River Breamish and two Common Sandpipers stood on the riverbank...first of the year for me.
Further on past Ingram Village I parked up next to a large clump of gorse which was covering the bank of the river and virtually the whole hillside...lovely bright flowers and that sublime coconut smell..delicious!
I was thrilled when a male Stonechat popped up just yards from me and obligingly perched on top of a gorse bush so I could admire his vivid colours.
At this point, as I got out of the car to set up my scope, I was 'mugged' by a chaffinch! He kept flying close to my feet and woefully cheeping at me to feed him! This last happened to me as I was sitting on the banks of Ullswater having my lunch...these chaffinch certainly know HOW to make you feel guilty! I ended up rifling through the boot and the glove compartment desperately hoping I could find a few crumbs to give him. No such luck..all I had was half a packet of polo mints! I felt AWFUL trying to explain to him that I didn't have anything on me!!! MUST start keeping some seed in the car...if only to stop me feeling heartless!!! ;)
The only frustrating part of the morning came when I was scanning the skies for birds of prey. One did come into view but as I tried to focus my scope on it a couple of carrion crows decided to mob it and it soon disappeared over the top of the nearest hill! Luckily I was able to do a quick sketch so will hopefully be able to suss out what species it is once I get my Collins guide back from my father-in-law!

Then, as it was such a lovely morning with absolutely no sign of thunderclouds developing, I decided to go along to LInhope Spout to see if I could finally catch up with those annoying Red Grouse! I think I am the ONLY person in Northumberland who has NOT seen them!!! :C
As I drove along to the parking spot at Hartside Farm I saw the unmistakable outline of a gamebird outlined on a rock! Slammed the brakes on, quickly reversed to get a better view.....and it was a Red-legged Partridge!!! Lovely bird in itself but NOT a grouse. Drat!!!
So, I got myself parked up and set off on the one & a half miles to the waterfall.
Walking past a stand of trees I heard a Blackcap singing and soon picked him out as he perched in full view on top of an Elder shrub. Brilliant - first one of the year! o:)
Walking over the hilltops to Linhope Spout was very pleasant at this point as the sun was very hot and I was soon stripping off...jumper around my waist and coat carried over an arm. Yet if I had NOT brought the coat you can guarantee it would have rained! ;)
Nothing spectacular seen as I walked over the hills - just the usual suspects...Song & Mistle Thrush, Great Tit, Swallow, Skylarks singing away, Lapwings displaying over the fields and a sweet little lamb that was adamant I was his mum!!! Had to shoo him away in case he got separated from the ewe.
Arrived at Linhope at 11.15am and I had the place to myself so I sat on a rock and just waited to see what would turn up. First of all was a female Grey Wagtail perched on a boulder midstream and she was closely followed by a Willow Warbler singing in a nearby tree.
And then, at 11.30, a Dipper whizzed by! Fantastic!!! I'd been hoping to get one of these at some point this week. It stood on a rock bobbing away before flying up to a mossy overhang just feet from the waterfall! Minutes later TWO dipper emerged and flew off downstream. And for the next twenty minutes or so I was able to watch them flying back and forth and see them swimming underwater o:)
Then a party of five walkers arrived so, as I'd told Neil I'd be back about 11am ;) , I decided to head back. Stopped to talk to two farm workers building a fence after they asked me if I'd been twitching and had I seen anything good..and the older one told me he'd seen a cuckoo calling and being mobbed by other birds on Saturday. No sight or sound of it today though!
Further on I was again asked if I was a twitcher, had I seen anything blah de blah ;) , by a lovely couple who were up here on holiday from Norfolk. They told me about Ring Ouzel and Red/Black Grouse which they'd seen earlier that week in the College Valley and showed me where to go on their map.....Mmmm,methinks a trip very soon is called for!
Driving back home *two hours late - whoops!* I saw another dipper on the river just as you approach Ingram Village.

In total I saw 38 bird species - not bad for ''just a quick look before it rains!''
And rather ironic that, for a change, we seem to have missed all the rain and hail and thunderstorms which the rest of the North-east seems to have had today...it has just started to rain in the past half hour up here this evening! Looks like I was in the right place for once....and I've even got a bit of colour in my cheeks from the hot sun! *but thankfully NOT my usual sunburnt nose! ;) *
Complete list of birds is as follows...* denotes new year tick. :bounce:

• 1.Blackbird
    2.Greenfinch
    3.Chaffinch
    4.Pied Wagtail
    5.Swallow
    6.Goldfinch
    7.Linnet
    8.Pheasant
    9.House Martin
    10.Goosander
    11.Willow Warbler
    12.Wood Pigeon
    13.Rook
    14.Common Sandpiper *
    15.Carrion Crow
    16.Sand Martin
    17.Jackdaw
    18.Yellowhammer
    19.Chiffchaff
    20.Song Thrush
    21.Black-headed Gull
    22.Collared Dove
    23.Wren
    24.Stonechat
    25.Meadow Pipit
    26.Red-legged Partridge
    27.Curlew
    28.Blackcap *
    29.Robin
    30.Great Tit
    31.Skylark
    32.Lapwing
    33.Grey Wagtail
    34.Dipper *
    35.Wheatear
    36.Mistle Thrush
    37.Kestrel
    38.Starling

GILL

cuddy said:
have you sorted your raptor yet?

Nope!!! Not very good at raptors *blush* BUT if I work out what it was NOT, I should somehow narrow it down! ;)

It was not a kestrel. Nor a hobby or merlin as it was too big *i think*

It was definitely slightly smaller than the carrion crows mobbing it and was dark (although that may have just been because it was only seen against the sky). It had 'fingered' wings like a buzzard as opposed to 'pointy' wings like a kestrel but it DID look very tatty, espcially on the right wing. What else...dig out notes....didn't seem to have a very prominent head and the head didn't protrude forward of the wings *does that make sense?* and it seemed to have a longish narrow tail.

It probably WAS a tatty Buzzard.....just didn't seem 'right' somehow? :h?:
Perhaps I can turn it into a RL buzzard or a Goshawk when I get my Collins guide back off father-in-law *if I don't look too hard at the pictures!* ;)

Think it'll probably be consigned to the ''What on earth was that List''...rather a lot of birds on there!!!! ;) LOL

GILL

nice report and list there Gill.

i bet you were still hoping for another otter too, eh?........ keep up those solo birding trips, you seem to be doing mighty fine.

Hopefully exploring Harthope tomorrow with Neil and probably pop along to East Chev, Hauxley, Druridge, Cresswell Pond etc *the Druridge Run* on Friday or Saturday...and I must visit the College Valley now that I've been told what's around.
I've had a slow start to the year but I'm determined to make up for it now! Was SURE i had a whitethroat yesterday afternoon but couldn't stop as I had a landrover driving right up close behind me!!! And when I drove back five minutes later (was just outside Branton) there was no sign of it anywhere! Very frustrating!!!

GILL

Great reporting from Gill

Gill Osborne said:
Hopefully exploring Harthope tomorrow with Neil and probably pop along to East Chev, Hauxley, Druridge, Cresswell Pond etc *the Druridge Run* on Friday or Saturday...and I must visit the College Valley now that I've been told what's around.
I've had a slow start to the year but I'm determined to make up for it now! Was SURE i had a whitethroat yesterday afternoon but couldn't stop as I had a landrover driving right up close behind me!!! And when I drove back five minutes later (was just outside Branton) there was no sign of it anywhere! Very frustrating!!!

GILL

So glad I have picked up this thread, Gill. It sounds as tho' you had a super morning. A list like yours just shows how many birds are out there, if only we can take the time and make the effort to find them. :clap:
Another place where you're nearly bound to see a dipper (one of my favourite birds ) is at Weldon Bridge. Each time we go to the pub on the corner, we then go onto the bridge, and last time we saw a dipper rise from the bank and fly under the bridge, downriver, before settling on a branch overhanging the water. And of course, we do see them at Allen Banks, too.

Don't forget to let us know if you do suss out your mysterious "bird"........
BFN

digi-birder said:
Great report, Gill.

Now, what about this ironing............? ;)

These Willow Grouse Gill, you really should pop into CO. Durham. It's a challenge to drive From Castleside (through Consett) across the N Pennines without hitting one on the narrow roads. Lots of Reservoirs up there too.

It's very pleasant there and you can finish at Blanchland with lunch at The lord Crew Arms or high tea at the old schoolhouse (very civilised). If you're really up for a moor run, continue to Langdon Beck & Cow Green Reservoir for them Black Grouse critters - a double grouse, and no danger of being breathylised lol!

Nice report and solid list though. If I were you I'd tick Goshawk;-)

Steve

Sounds like you had a good day out, an excellent report! Sorry to hear you missed out on Red grouse, they are really quiet at the moment as the hens are incubating (sitting foil everywhere) and the cocks keeping their heads down, they are songflighting a bit at dawn and dusk but not like 2 months ago! We were up near Wooler today on fowberry moor, there are a few grouse there, but not much else!

I'd look at female sparrowhawk, gos or harrier for the mystery raptor, I watched a crow mobbing a buzzard today and the buzzard was quite a bit bigger than the crow.

Rob

Quacker said:
More burnt clothing then ;)

No...I've got ironing whilst watching tv down to a tee now ;). But STILL haven't mastered this cooking malarkey without burning the pots! ;) But luckily i DO know the best ways to clean the burnt bits off the pans *and disguise the burnt food so Neil desn't notice!!!* o:)

GILL

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back