• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (2 Viewers)

OMG just went out in the garden 22.59 and heard the most amazing bird singing didnt reconise the song so listened to birdguides cd and its identical to a Nightingale do we get them up here checked through all the birds and the only thing it sounded like was the Nightingale surley not ?

Just seen Alans entry above spooky or what

If it's still singing get it taped, quickly.

hi alan went back out 23.05 gone it must of been a Nightingale nowt else matches it on my cd guide sounds identical

Davy, if it is Nightingale they sing continuously throughout the night unlike many other species which end their territorial song at dusk. If it was singing it would be unlikely to move far and they can be heard from some distance. keep trying.

At last

I must have been the only person in Northumberland not to have caught up with a spoonbill in the county this year.

There seems to have been loads of records, but they have been either fleeting visits (I missed one the other week by ten minutes because I stopped to photograph a grasshopper warbler from the car - but the photos were worth it), or in the case of the birds that hung around Druridge the other week I was away and by the time I'd got back from hols, they'd gone.

This morning I saw the Birdguides report that one had been at Cresswell at 6.30. I couldn't get there before 10.00, but I went along anyway in the full expectation that it too would have gone to wherever spoonbills go to.

I was wrong. It was feeding like the clappers at the north end.

Attachments

• Spoonbill (13) copy.jpg
    Spoonbill (13) copy.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 76
I must have been the only person in Northumberland not to have caught up with a spoonbill in the county this year.

There seems to have been loads of records, but they have been either fleeting visits (I missed one the other week by ten minutes because I stopped to photograph a grasshopper warbler from the car - but the photos were worth it), or in the case of the birds that hung around Druridge the other week I was away and by the time I'd got back from hols, they'd gone.

This morning I saw the Birdguides report that one had been at Cresswell at 6.30. I couldn't get there before 10.00, but I went along anyway in the full expectation that it too would have gone to wherever spoonbills go to.

I was wrong. It was feeding like the clappers at the north end.

Cracking pic, it was asleep when I got there!!

Joanne

Slightly off topic the latest Northern Red Squirrels Summer newsletter is out and attached for anyone in area's covered who may be interested.

Stewart

Attachments

• NORTHERN NEWS 4.pdf
    574.4 KB · Views: 96
some brief seawatching 6-7pm sat at newbiggin.

usual common stuff, auks terns gannets, steady drip feed of manx.

Lots sand martins buzzing about. 3 teal on beacon point.

Highlight: 2 bonxies north. light was pretty grotty, was generally quiet.
1 great spotted woodpecker at woodhorn churchyard was notable.

Alan i have just read your Blog Dusty Bins excellent as usual but could you change the colours i am now temporarily blinded and have a severe headache |8||

Thank you

Longhirst Flash Today

Greenshank, Green Sandpiper & Wood Sandpiper all present and showing this morning. Patience required though as Green Sand sometimes disappears into the muddy tractor ruts at south end and Wood Sand gets lost amongst the reeds.

Cresswell Pond from 0930. 4 Black Tailed Godwits. Also GBB, LBB, BH, Herring and Common Gulls all sitting together with 2 Common Terns. 6 Curlews, 2 Ringed Plovers, Shelduck with 4 young. At least 5 singing male Sedge Warblers in the vicinity. 1 Painted Lady.

Very quiet at Druridge apart from abundance of young Pied Wagtails and Goldfinches. Track to hides excellent for butterflies including Common Blue.

First visit to Hauxley for many years - wot a lot o geese! Tuftie with ten ducklings was the highlight.

I've noticed recent references to Castle Island and Longhirst Flash. Can someone please give me an idea where they are?

Thanks.

I've noticed recent references to Castle Island and Longhirst Flash. Can someone please give me an idea where they are?

Thanks.

Castle Island is in the Wansbeck estuary between West Sleekburn and North Seaton. That's it next to the PH on the attached map. You can view it from either bank of the river with a bit of walking.

http://www.multimap.com/s/uBwmBgt9

Longhirst flash is on the road from Ashington to Longhirst Station, viewable from the road. For some reason it's not shown on this map, but it's just east of the zig-zag on the minor road, north-east of the number "34".

http://www.multimap.com/s/x80nCulS

Last edited:
Slaley Forest Nightjars

Ideal conditions last night for Nightjar viewing and listening in Slaley Forest. I don't ever remember hearing Nightjars so well even when birding abroad. Two Nightjars came down to suss us out. I'd led 3 friends to my favoured spot and as two of them had not seen Nightjars before, they were delighted.

A number of Woodcock still roding and Golden Plover with chicks calling on the moor. To be honest not much else about apart from Meadow Pipits, B H Gulls, lone Curlew and Mistle Thrushes. Red Grouse and Tawny Owls were heard.

I'm now nursing my insect bites to which I react badly. I think the only thing that will keep the damn insects off me is metal armour!

Last edited:
Ideal conditions last night for Nightjar viewing and listening in Slaley Forest. I don't ever remember hearing Nightjars so well even when birding abroad. Two Nightjars came down to suss us out. I'd led 3 friends to my favoured spot and as two of them had not seen Nightjars before, they were delighted.

A number of Woodcock still roding and Golden Plover with chicks calling on the moor. To be honest not much else about apart from Meadow Pipits, B H Gulls, lone Curlew and Mistle Thrushes. Red Grouse and Tawny Owls were heard.

I'm now nursing my insect bites to which I react badly. I think the only thing that will keep the damn insects off me is metal armour!

Have you tried Jungle Formula?

Castle Island is in the Wansbeck estuary between West Sleekburn and North Seaton. That's it next to the PH on the attached map. You can view it from either bank of the river with a bit of walking.

http://www.multimap.com/s/uBwmBgt9

Longhirst flash is on the road from Ashington to Longhirst Station, viewable from the road. For some reason it's not shown on this map, but it's just east of the zig-zag on the minor road, north-east of the number "34".

http://www.multimap.com/s/x80nCulS

Thanks very much B W. I have also had a kind offer of a grand tour of local sites.

The Nightingale was still at Bolam this morning along with Garden Warbler, Whitethroat and Juv Redstart. Greenshank and Green Sand at Longhirst Flash. Both pools at East Chev were quite busy with good numbers of Little Gulls including a nice adult, two Little Ringed Plover, Arctic, Common and Sandwich Terns, all on the North pool. The South pool held a stunning summer plum Bar-tailed Godwit and good numbers of Dunlin. It's nice to see Reed Warblers doing well at East Chev. I don't know if it was just me failing to get onto them over the last couple of years, but there were a few about today.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back