• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (1 Viewer)

Three more today, displaying Stock Dove, Grey Wagtail through/over the grdn. and not seen so often nowadays flyover Collared Dove. 39.

January 6th.

36. Great Spotted Woodpecker - two singles over

(January 7th - succumbed to the dark forces and went to tick a wagtail)

January 8th.

37. Sparrowhawk - rather overdue

Steve

11, Bush Tits ( I can't remember ever seeing them feeding on the ground before, maybe I have and have forgotten.)
12. Cassin's Kingbird

Thought that tail looks a bit short as it was “gusted” over the house roof! A quick check with the bins, then it turned out...very black and white. Pied Wagtail not common hereabouts. no.41.

A bit like Steve, I gave in to temptation and went birding down around Geneva yesterday after having done the airport run for the family the day before. I’ve now had my annual fix of web- footed species ( and a nice Great Grey Shrike) :t:
Back on home territory again today I heard no.28, then distantly saw no.29 while scanning the mountain slopes for Chamois.

28 Black Woodpecker
29 Alpine Chough

A bit of rain here this morning, before the Madeira-centred High Pressure takes over again tomorrow keeping things dry and milder than usual for January. More and more Mistle Thrush song now, plus Marsh, Coal and Great Tit all doing spring calls. A welcome visitor on the cherry tree brings up my 30, took me until September to see one of these here last year:

30 Common Treecreeper

Attachments

• gr d b.jpg
    gr d b.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 52
Mabe Burnthouse, nr Falmouth, Cornwall, UK

1st Jan 2020

1) Jackdaw
2) Robin
3) Blackbird
4) Blue Tit
5) Herring Gull
6) Redwing
7) Song Thrush
8) Chaffinch
9) House Sparrow
10) Collared Dove

Nice to get the Redwings before all the berries had gone.

Mabe Burnthouse, nr Falmouth, Cornwall, UK

1st Jan 2020

1) Jackdaw
2) Robin
3) Blackbird
4) Blue Tit
5) Herring Gull
6) Redwing
7) Song Thrush
8) Chaffinch
9) House Sparrow
10) Collared Dove

Nice to get the Redwings before all the berries had gone.

Nice, three on there that I'll probably never see here. A bit of a surprise just now when the group of Bramblings in a distant tree were joined by a tail-wagging companion:

31 Water Pipit

Another sign of the mild winter we're having, earliest date we've ever seen them before is 4 March!

Attachments

• wate pip.jpg
    wate pip.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 68
Nice, three on there that I'll probably never see here. A bit of a surprise just now when the group of Bramblings in a distant tree were joined by a tail-wagging companion:

31 Water Pipit

Another sign of the mild winter we're having, earliest date we've ever seen them before is 4 March!

Well, that's one which I will certainly never see here ... I'd swap 3 of my extremely mundane UK garden birds willingly ... ;)

I have more to add, but records are scattered on the back of old envelopes (literally) kicking around somewhere, so will have to wait.

Probably had these last year late Dec...drats!
However no doubts this am, 2 flyover Egyptian Geese (one ahead same time last year) no.42.

Absolutely no chance of one here, Ken.

Just a thought!...perhaps it might be of interest to all, if we put less than annual or once a year ticks in bold? might build up a better picture of other people’s “rares?”

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back