• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding Nepal (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
My family is planning a vacation in May to Nepal. It won't be a birding trip, but I will definitely do as much birding as I can. Are there certain places you would recommend visiting? I'm mainly interested in birds that can't usually be seen here in Bangladesh. I know time of year isn't the best, but we'll take what we can get. I'll also do some looking through eBird for interesting looking spots.

My family is planning a vacation in May to Nepal. It won't be a birding trip, but I will definitely do as much birding as I can. Are there certain places you would recommend visiting? I'm mainly interested in birds that can't usually be seen here in Bangladesh. I know time of year isn't the best, but we'll take what we can get. I'll also do some looking through eBird for interesting looking spots.

Unless you intend to actually trek and get in to the Mountains, the two best options would be a day on Pulchowki from Kathmandu then take the bus to Pokhara and spend a few days there for a chance of Nepal's only endemic, Spiny Babbler.

Pokhara is pretty nice, cheap accomodations, good food and numerous places to bird which do not require the deprivation and sheer hard work of trekking.

Last edited:
Unless you intend to actually trek and get in to the Mountains, the two best options would be a day on Pulchowki from Kathmandu then take the bus to Pokhara and spend a few days there for a chance of Nepal's only endemic, Spiny Babbler.

Pokhara is pretty nice, cheap accomodations, good food and numerous places to bird which do not require the deprivation and sheer hard work of trekking.

Thanks. Pretty sure we won't be trekking as I've got younger siblings that definitely wouldn't be up to that. ;)
This will probably be like our families standard vacations where we spend most of our time at 1 or 2 rural guest houses. Since we've been to Pokhara (before I was into birding...) already I'm not sure we'll end up there.
Definitely will try to get to Pulchowki. Would Shivapuri-Nagarjun national be fairly similar to Pulchowki? https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1616991

Pretty sure I can easily get 50+ lifers, which by then could possibly have me hitting 700.

Sorry Seth, I haven't been to that park but Pulchowki gives a chance of Brown Bullfinch which is a tough one, we saw them but it's pure chance.

Are you old enough to trek alone with a guide which is compulsory anyway? I could recommend a couple of people you could hook up with in Pokhara if so.

Sorry Seth, I haven't been to that park but Pulchowki gives a chance of Brown Bullfinch which is a tough one, we saw them but it's pure chance.

Are you old enough to trek alone with a guide which is compulsory anyway? I could recommend a couple of people you could hook up with in Pokhara if so.

Is there a set age for being old enough?
I'm sure my parents would be fine with my younger brother and I birding with a guide.

I was also able to connect with Ian Hearn a teenage American birder who's grown up in Nepal. He's a quite good birder and photographer having seen 450 in Nepal. He gave me good suggestions and also said he'd love to meet and go birding with me so hopefully that'll work out. He's also got some local birding connections. His eBird profile: https://ebird.org/profile/ODI2MTgy/world (You won't be able to view it unless you have an eBird account)

About Pokhara, my dad confirmed we won't be going there as we've visited in the past. Thanks for the help!

Is there a set age for being old enough?
I'm sure my parents would be fine with my younger brother and I birding with a guide.

I was also able to connect with Ian Hearn a teenage American birder who's grown up in Nepal. He's a quite good birder and photographer having seen 450 in Nepal. He gave me good suggestions and also said he'd love to meet and go birding with me so hopefully that'll work out. He's also got some local birding connections. His eBird profile: https://ebird.org/profile/ODI2MTgy/world (You won't be able to view it unless you have an eBird account)

About Pokhara, my dad confirmed we won't be going there as we've visited in the past. Thanks for the help!

Again, if you're old eneough (16+?), jump on the bus to Pokhara, you won't regret it, let Mum and Dad do their thing while you go and see some birds, it's a very safe place.

Seth,

If you can't get to the mountains how about going the other direction! Chitwan NP is great for birds and has relatively easy to see Rhino's and Sloth Bears for the rest of the family assuming some interest in wildlife!

Seth,

If you can't get to the mountains how about going the other direction! Chitwan NP is great for birds and has relatively easy to see Rhino's and Sloth Bears for the rest of the family assuming some interest in wildlife!

Because the lowlands of Nepal, will not offer anaywhere near as many new birds as the mountains.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back