• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bean or White-fronted Goose or ? (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Place: Lake Utonai, Tomakomai, Hokkaido, Japan
Date: March 21, 2020
Time: 12:30
Weather: Sunny, 3 C

Hi Everyone!
I did not get a clear shot of the underside of these geese.
They were approximately 900 meters / 3000 feet away with a 600 mm lens.
Any help to ID them correctly is well appreciated!
Jeff :D

Attachments

• A_DSC2874.jpg
    A_DSC2874.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • B_DSC2874.jpg
    B_DSC2874.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 123
additionals

BTW,
Here are additional photos shot 1 minute after the first set.
I THINK it is of the same group. If so Mature and Immature
Whooper Swans???
Thanks!

Attachments

• C_DSC2893.jpg
    C_DSC2893.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 44
  • D_DSC2900.jpg
    D_DSC2900.jpg
    620.4 KB · Views: 36
Thanks!

Andrew,
Thank you greatly for your quick reply.
I am still learning body shapes.
I do have other clear photos
at the lake that day of white-fronted geese,
so that is why i asked.

what in the first set of photos notated whooper swans, if I can ask?

Best to you and yours there and be safe.

Last edited:
Andrew,
Thank you greatly for your quick reply.
I am still learning body shapes.
I do have other clear photos
at the lake that day of white-fronted geese,
so that is why i asked.

what in the first set of photos notated whooper swans, if I can ask?

Best to you and yours there and be safe.

They can be distinguished as Whooper Swans mainly on what can be seen of the bill pattern (though this isn't clear on all). Also they look proportionally long-necked. Having said that, on another look there may be a Tundra Swan with them (the middle of the left-hand birds in photo 1 and the lower bird in photo 2), as that bird looks noticeably smaller and shorter-necked.

Thanks Andrew!
I took 1500 photos that day,
so I will continue to sort thru them in more detail
to find better photos of that which you speak.
God Bless and Thanks again for your help!

They can be distinguished as Whooper Swans mainly on what can be seen of the bill pattern (though this isn't clear on all). Also they look proportionally long-necked. Having said that, on another look there may be a Tundra Swan with them (the middle of the left-hand birds in photo 1 and the lower bird in photo 2), as that bird looks noticeably smaller and shorter-necked.
Agree 5 Whoopers and a Bewick's [Tundra] Swan :t:

All appear the same size to me. Only see Whoopers.

I'm not certain about the Tundra Swan but the bottom bird in the second picture is clearly (measurably) smaller than the other two. The length from tail tip to bill tip of that bird on my screen is c.7.5cm and the other two birds are c.9.5cm. The width of the wing at the carpal joint is 1.7cm compared to 2.4cm on the bird above it. It also appears to be slightly closer than the two larger birds. The measured differences in length are probably about right for the differences between Whooper and Tundra (about 20% smaller).

The bill pattern is hard to discern, but I'm interested to know what people's explanations are for the substantial difference in size.

I can see what Andrew means - I had originally put that down to perspective as I thought (wrongfully) the ‘shorter neck’ individual was flying behind its neighbour. The ‘smaller’ one could just be a female (males larger with longer thinner necks). Sorry not helpful ..

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back