• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History Of Staffordshire: Fauna and Flora (1 Viewer)

Several reports of golden-ringed dragonfly at Coombes Valley recently was certainly unexpected. One reported it as "A large black dragonfly with yellow bands across it." So sounds legit.

Also, purple hairstreaks present around the bottom of Buzzard Bank.

The Bat and Moth guided walk turned up the goods, with pipistrelles around the visitor center, as well as elephant hawk-moth, antlers, orange swifts, lesser swallow prominent and pheonix (plus many others) in the trap. We might be running another one of these events in the coming weeks if anyone is interested in attending.

Talking of moths, I've now set up camp in SK14, so hopefully that total of 66 moth species recorded here should be a little higher by the end of the year :t:

Adam

Don't forget to send me the records if you're on the Staffs side! If you want a SK14 checklist then email me.

Dave

Don't forget to send me the records if you're on the Staffs side! If you want a SK14 checklist then email me.

Dave

Already sticking them into an excel spreadsheet.

And of course I'm on the Staffs side, it's the best side :t:

Adam

A single oak beauty in the moth trap earlier on this week. Also, a few bats out and about around Mayfield and the River Dove.

Adam

First decent night of moth trapping of the year last night.

Common quakers, clouded drabs, hebrew characters and a single early grey, with 31 moths in total.

Adam

Streamer and pale pinion where in the trap last night, both new to me, the garden, the year and the 10k square.

Small whites and orange-tips on the wing in the Churnet near Consall yesterday, along with brimstone, peacocks and comma.

Yellow arch-angel, wood anenome, wood forget-me-not, opposite-leaved golden saxifrage, red campion, and just about bluebells in flower in Crowgutter Woods.

Adam

Attended an incredible walk hosted by Butterfly Conservation today on the edge of the Peak District. Dark green frits, holly blue, small heath, six-belted clearwing (a first for Staffs Moorlands??) and loads of other common butterflies too. Topped it off with 13+ frog orchid spikes, grass-of-pernassus and hoary plantain all in some amazing species rich grassland.

Also loads of redstarts and a hobby passing overhead.

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back