• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

Having recovered from the crushing disappointment of discovering that this event was not moth-related - https://www.pugfestevents.com/ - I was delighted to have a tick in the form of Box-tree Moth - https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/cydalima-perspectalis

Unsure how far it has spread so maybe the first county record. It was in a friend's trap and I reacted fairly quickly to the text showing an unknown moth.

Pretty surprised at the size. It appeared to be a female.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Boxworm (reduced).jpg
    Boxworm (reduced).jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 75
Just seen my first one too. Had to Google "white moth with brown edges" to get the id.

It may be just me, but on a number of occasions I have seen a moth for the first time, there has been someone else on this forum who has posted the same a species within the previous week ! They must all appear at the same time.

Apparently this moth is a pest.

Nice picture Paul.

Certainly a major pest in the London area where virtually all box hedging not sprayed is completely defoliated. Have to say it is a pretty moth though!

I think they are doing us a favour then. Box plants are so dull. Will encourage us to be more original with our garden presentation. :) Yes also saw mine in London.

Haven't done much trapping over the last few months (N.E.London) primarily due to being away, and when home, the weather has not been too kind. Last night I thought I'll chance it, even though precipitation was promised, for me it was bit of a ''haul'' and a lifer! Circa a dozen Lunar Under-wings, Brimstone, Oak hook-Tip, Maiden's Blush, Light Emerald, Lesser-Yellow Underwing, C.perspectalis, and Marbled Beauty. Not recalling the pattern on the last moth, I kinda thought that it might be interesting...a presumed Pale Mottled Willow! I suspect probably of continental origin?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1570598.jpeg  Marbled Beauty.jpg
    P1570598.jpeg Marbled Beauty.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 74
  • P1570602.jpeg  Pale Mottled Willow.jpg
    P1570602.jpeg Pale Mottled Willow.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 88
A Black Witch, probably vagrant from New World, found in Co Londonderry in last week of September. The main tweet showing the incredible size of this thing (more than capable of making it here on its own) is gone from Twitter but the bbc nature tweet with few details is still there.

Not sure there is much traction to support the vagrant theory for that moth. Surely a release/escape is more likely...?

A Black Witch, probably vagrant from New World, found in Co Londonderry in last week of September. The main tweet showing the incredible size of this thing (more than capable of making it here on its own) is gone from Twitter but the bbc nature tweet with few details is still there.

Not sure there is much traction to support the vagrant theory for that moth. Surely a release/escape is more likely...?

Andy

My reaction as well - release/escape/accidental import - despite some interesting background information from the States:-

http://texasento.net/witchstates.htm

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back