Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Sigma 150-600 Sports

Old Tuesday 26th September 2017, 15:38   #1
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

Sigma 150-600 Sports

The previous thread for this lens appears to be closed, so I'll start a new thread for it.

I have continued to be delighted with the performance of my Siggy Sports, now married to a Nikon D500, but unfortunately it developed a major fault over the past day or so.

The zoom function locked at 150mm, no amount of twisting and pulling, or fiddling with the zoom lock would shift it. I have sent it back to Sigma UK and I have just received a report that it "needs a replacement zoom roller". I have asked them to go ahead with the repair.

Probably I have just been unlucky, but I'll leave this here in case anyone else experiences the same problem.
Old Monday 12th February 2018, 20:56   #2
dharma66

Fingers crossed I don’t get the same! I just picked up a copy of the lens today. Did you get the issue sorted?

Sadly it was dark at the time I left the shop, so the only pictures I’ve taken are of a light bulb...

I’m hoping to get out around Salford Quays tomorrow, if we get a brightish day.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 13th February 2018, 09:38   #3
Mark Etheridge
Bird Shooter (With A Camera)

Yes I did, but it left my wallet a couple of hundred quids lighter...

On the upside, Sigma also gave it a good clean and calibration, and it's giving even better results than before. Not that I'm recommending such a drastic solution.
Old Monday 18th February 2019, 21:06   #4
Troyce

I just got one a couple of weeks ago, along with a Canon 80D. Unfortunately, the telescope curse hit, and I've had cloudy rainy weather every weekend, though I did get out briefly this past weekend. My number one complaint is the weight. I can barely hand hold it steadily, and not for long. The Mefoto tripod a friend recommended is too lightweight and not tall enough, so I pulled out my Orion Telescope tripod. Aluminum, but not that much heavier, and I can raise the camera to a much more comfortable height. I got some very nice shots with it during a break in the weather. Enough that I'll probably keep the lens, since at one point I considered exchanging it for a 400mm model. I think I still want a lighter 200-400mm lens for more portability, and save this one (I'm calling it the Eye of Sauron) for when I want to do some serious photography.
Old Tuesday 19th February 2019, 08:59   #5
nikonmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyce View Post
I just got one a couple of weeks ago, along with a Canon 80D. Unfortunately, the telescope curse hit, and I've had cloudy rainy weather every weekend, though I did get out briefly this past weekend. My number one complaint is the weight. I can barely hand hold it steadily, and not for long. The Mefoto tripod a friend recommended is too lightweight and not tall enough, so I pulled out my Orion Telescope tripod. Aluminum, but not that much heavier, and I can raise the camera to a much more comfortable height. I got some very nice shots with it during a break in the weather. Enough that I'll probably keep the lens, since at one point I considered exchanging it for a 400mm model. I think I still want a lighter 200-400mm lens for more portability, and save this one (I'm calling it the Eye of Sauron) for when I want to do some serious photography.
You could look at the Sigma or Tamron 100-400
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 09:05   #6
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyce View Post
You should get the 150-600 Contemporary and not the 'Sport' if weight is your concern - its a lot lighter and about the same image quality. The main difference between the two (apart from price and weight) is the 'Sport' has a better build quality, especially the weather proofing and also a slightly less MFD. If you are concerned about the weather proofing on the 'contemporary' then just buy a cheap water proofed lens cover (widely available).

Last edited by Roy C : Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 16:20.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 15:51   #7
Barred Wobbler

I've had the sport for just short of 4 years now and it's still my lens of choice for everyday use, well over 95% hand-held and on the move, often all day. A tripod is too much baggage. My 400/5.6 has hardly been out of the cupboard since I bought the Sport. After a winter lay-off the left arm soon gets used to it again.

One from last September's migration and one from this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honey-Buzzard-(139)-Cascabel-800webbforum.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	687698  Click image for larger version

Name:	Tree-Sparrow-(7)-800webbforum.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	687699  

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Wednesday 20th February 2019 at 15:53.
Old Wednesday 20th February 2019, 16:29   #8
Roy C
Occasional bird snapper

I had the Contemporary for three years,Always used it handheld, excellent value for money.
I then bought a 100-400 MkII and had both for a year - (sadly the Siggy 150-600 had to go as it was just not getting any use).

Below is a few shots taken with the siggy 150-600 c (for the poster who is concerned with the weight of the sport)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	687705  Click image for larger version

Name:	young dunnock 01PN lab.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	312.5 KB
ID:	687706  Click image for larger version

Name:	swallow in flight1.jpg
Views:	84