• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello. Something wrong with Mockinbirds! (1 Viewer)

jonesey252

Hi, I joined this group just to say the following. I've grown up loving the calls of mockingbirds going through their repotoire of other birds calls.

I just moved to a new area with a TON of mockingbirds and it dawned on me upon listening that they aren't doing what they're supposed to. They're all doing a few syllables on repeat. It seems like nonsense. Not the great 20 verses of other birds that I grew up with. This freaked me out enough to join this group and ask the birding community. This is my introductory post but someone please direct me to the section of this forum where this question would be most appropriately asked. Thanks.

Hi Jonesy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

That's interesting; sadly I've never heard or seen a Mockingbird. I'm just wondering if they're youngsters learning, it must take them a while to learn the full range. However, it would be an idea perhaps to post in the Bird Behaviour and if you could try and get a recording too, that might help too.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Thanks for the response. I'll check there. But this is the time when parents would be out at night teaching the kids all the calls. This is something weird.

Mockingbirds typically repeat a phrase three or four times. What you describe doesn't sound that far out of the ordinary. I have heard mockingbirds with more extensive repertoires than others. I don't know if they learn new songs as they get older. Or, perhaps with more competition they need to try harder to impress the ladies.

It could also be a regional thing.

Could you record it and post it?

Hi and welcome to the forum. As a guess I would also say perhaps they are just young birds.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back