Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Leica 10x50 BA vs new models

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 17:26   #51
forent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhauer View Post
Has anyone ever compared the SLC 8x56 to the Noctivid 8x42 as far as brightness in low light? Is there a substantial difference?
As the SLC 10x56 HD is incredibly bright already, the SLC 8x56 HD - that shares the same Abbe-Knig prisms - should be even better in this respect. And the SLC 10x56 HD is visibly brighter than the Ultravid 10x50 HD+. Therefore I would bet that the Noctivid 8x42 is clearly less bright than the SLC 8x56 HD. But in fact I have not compared them side by side so it remains just my assumption.

Last edited by forent : Friday 19th July 2019 at 20:19.
Old Friday 19th July 2019, 23:48   #52
Conndomat

Quote:
Has anyone ever compared the SLC 8x56 to the Noctivid 8x42 as far as brightness in low light? Is there a substantial difference?
Hello,

the Noctivid is something as bright as the Zeiss SF 8x42 or the Swarovski 8,5x42, under these three binoculars I could not notice noticeable brightness differences!
The Noctivid I do not have anymore, but the Zeiss and the Swarovski and here is the difference to the SLC 8x56 more than clear.
The SLC is in terms of brightness, a real powerhouse, so much brighter than the Noctivid!
It is important, however, that one can really use the exit pupil, which uses the glass when the pupil "only" about 5mm. opens?

Andreas
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 02:07   #53
Bhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conndomat View Post
Hello,

the Noctivid is something as bright as the Zeiss SF 8x42 or the Swarovski 8,5x42, under these three binoculars I could not notice noticeable brightness differences!
The Noctivid I do not have anymore, but the Zeiss and the Swarovski and here is the difference to the SLC 8x56 more than clear.
The SLC is in terms of brightness, a real powerhouse, so much brighter than the Noctivid!
It is important, however, that one can really use the exit pupil, which uses the glass when the pupil "only" about 5mm. opens?

Andreas
Thanks! Im trying to decide between the 8x42 Noctivids and the SLC 8x56. I really like the idea of brighter SLC for early morning and late evening.
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 13:40   #54
Conndomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by forent View Post
The Swarovski came out first, both optically und ergonomically just wonderful. A close second - to my surprise - was the least expensive Zeiss Conquest.
Hello,

Interesting!

Where would you see exactly the advantages of the SLC over the Conquest, sharpness, brightness, chromatic aberration, edge sharpness and so on?

Thank you,
Andreas
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 14:45   #55
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Most would not compare those models since they are different platforms, 42mm and 56mm AND different brands. Also there is a size/weight difference as you well know.

I have the Noctivid 8X42 and a SLC 10X56. The Noctivid weighs 30.5oz and the SLC 42.6oz.

There won't be much that you could ask of an 8X42 binocular that the Noctivid WON'T do. It is a very bright binocular as is typical of most at that price point. The SLC will be ever so slightly brighter due to a larger objective and the use of AK prisms. Will you notice that and will it be useful to you is the question. IMO it is certainly not 12 ounces better. I'd pick the Noctivid for 99.9999999% of my uses.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 16:14   #56
forent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conndomat View Post
(...) Where would you see exactly the advantages of the SLC over the Conquest, sharpness, brightness, chromatic aberration, edge sharpness and so on? (...)
When I ordered the four Nachtglser at the reputable German dealer optik-pro.de, their advisor recommended to ignore the Zeiss 10x54 HT and the Leica 8x50 and to concentrate on the two 10x56 from Swarovski and Zeiss. I was sceptic but have to admit that he was right.
To your very question:
The Conquest is less expensive and it feels cheaper. The coating and the armor are IMHO not superior to Asian medium-class products. The diopter adjustment on the right ocular is rather primitive and moves the outer lens. The eye cups however are comfortable and suit my face very well, even better than the SLC's.
The field of view is also larger but at a price: I am sensitive to cromatic aberration and the Conquest shows visible green/purple halos on contrasty edges in daylight. CA artefacts in the SLC are minimal. Moreover the edge sharpness of the Conquest is ok but not really good. The colours are fine, slightly warmer than the SLC's. Brightness is excellent but the SLC is still a tad brighter. All in all the Conquest is a very good bino but the SLC is in my opinion a bit better optically and distinctly more convincing in terms of construction and build. The SLC feels like an alpha to me and the Conquest not. And because I wanted simply the best the choice was easy. Nevertheless the Conquest is a very fine bino that should satisfy most even demanding customers. If the SLC 10x56 wouldn't exist, I'm sure that I would be happy with the Conquest 10x56, especially since I mainly use it in low-light surroundings. On walks in bright light I prefer my more compact Leica Trinovid 8x42 BA that I bought back in 1993.
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 16:35   #57
Conndomat

> forent <

Thanks a lot!

I know the Conquest series, myself have the 10x32 and had the 8x32 so I know that you have mechanically lost something, I was mainly interested in the visual differences and how large they judge.

Andreas
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 16:42   #58
Conndomat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
The SLC will be ever so slightly brighter due to a larger objective and the use of AK prisms.
Hello Chuck,

Do not forget the almost 2mm. larger exit pupil, which is already important here, always provided you can use it.

Andreas
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 02:33   #59
Bhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
Most would not compare those models since they are different platforms, 42mm and 56mm AND different brands. Also there is a size/weight difference as you well know.

I have the Noctivid 8X42 and a SLC 10X56. The Noctivid weighs 30.5oz and the SLC 42.6oz.

There won't be much that you could ask of an 8X42 binocular that the Noctivid WON'T do. It is a very bright binocular as is typical of most at that price point. The SLC will be ever so slightly brighter due to a larger objective and the use of AK prisms. Will you notice that and will it be useful to you is the question. IMO it is certainly not 12 ounces better. I'd pick the Noctivid for 99.9999999% of my uses.
Thank you for this response. You have helped me make up my mind! Im going with the Noctivid 8x42.
Old Wednesday 24th July 2019, 14:51   #60
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Thank you for this response. You have helped me make up my mind! Im going with the Noctivid 8x42.
You are welcome! I think you'll enjoy those binoculars!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 16:44   #61
Bhauer

8x42 Noctivids arrived today. Found a great deal on brand new in the box pair from the Netherlands for less than $1900. Tried them out a little this morning. The best part is how they work with my eyeglasses. On the second setting of the adjustable eye cups they are perfect as far as the FOV. Much much better than my 10x50 BAs Ive had for 25 years. They are brilliant and magic as far as sharpness. I cant wait to try them out in low light tonight and compare them to the BAs for light transmission. They are heavy but much smaller than the BAs which I take on a hike almost every evening. That will be nice not having to lug the 10x50s around. Carried those on my shoulder instead of around my neck.
Old Thursday 8th August 2019, 17:12   #62
wdc

Congratulations on the Noctivids. I also found them to be a great fit with eyeglasses. Compared to the 10x50 BA's you'll be getting more than half a pound reduction in weight, as well a full degree wider field of view.
Please report your observations about brightness at dusk and early morning between these 2 bins. If your pupil is adjusted for low light, I expect the 10x50's will prevail, but am curious as to how and when you'll perceive the difference.

Also, you might try a Rick Young Harness for the Noctivids. It distributes the weight very well on both shoulders.

Enjoy.

-Bill
Old Friday 9th August 2019, 03:13   #63
Bhauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc View Post
Congratulations on the Noctivids. I also found them to be a great fit with eyeglasses. Compared to the 10x50 BA's you'll be getting more than half a pound reduction in weight, as well a full degree wider field of view.
Please report your observations about brightness at dusk and early morning between these 2 bins. If your pupil is adjusted for low light, I expect the 10x50's will prevail, but am curious as to how and when you'll perceive the difference.

Also, you might try a Rick Young Harness for the Noctivids. It distributes the weight very well on both shoulders.

Enjoy.

-Bill
Thank you Bill. I was not able to stay out as late as I wanted to tonight but just after the sun went down I was able to compare the Noctivids to the 10x50 BAs. There was clearly a difference with the Noctivids being brighter than the BAs. Ill try again tomorrow to compare a little later in the evening. I was surprised that the BAs werent brighter but that is probably a result in the difference between 8 x and 10 x powers. I will definitely look into the Rick Young Harness. Thanks for the tip!!!
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 02:12   #64
Bhauer

The 8x42 Noctivids are slightly brighter in late evening hours than the 10x50 Leica BAs. Not a huge difference but I was surprised it is noticeable. The best thing about the Noctivid is the full frame of view when looking through my eyeglasses. I dont quite get that advantage with the Leica BA even with the lens cups all the way down. Interesting how they accomplished that. I have the Noctivids eyecups screwed up to the first setting. Really like the much more compact size!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: