• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift Audubon 8.5x44 820ED (1 Viewer)

Sailcat

Fearless Spectator
I'm curious if anyone has had any experience with the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 820 ED binoculars. I have seen them on eBay selling for well under $400.00, and I would like to see the experiences of seasoned veterans. Thanks!

Last edited:
Optically very good, and very easy to look through. With glasses on I find that I can't quite see the advertised field of view, but the remaining field is so wide I didn't notice this till I actually measured it. Build quality on some samples isn't all it should be - I have an ED version where the scale for inter-pupillary distance doesn't work, and I saw signs of the glue weakening on an older non-ED pair. They are NOT waterproof - my pair fogged on me after an afternoon in heavy rain, though it dried out OK. Despite my quibbles, still my favourite pair of binoculars - but given the build quality worries I would argue for paying full price at a retailer close to you so you can return them easily if you get a flawed pair.

They are alright, though the body is not entirely pleasant to hold. Color is great as you would expect. Handling, eyecup, and build quality issues aside it is tough to find a comparable image for the price.

You don't need eBay to get one under $400 either, many online retailers have them for that range brand new as well. Eagle Optics sell them at $369 or $379 if I recall, and with top customer service.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back