• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

24 May moth ID queries (sic) (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I'm not doing very well, despite Skinner and Waring's help.
I thinkthe first one may be an iron prominent. Another looks a bit like a plumed prominent, but it's not. Another looks like an albino brimstone... HELP!

Attachments

• p-iron_prominent.jpg
    p-iron_prominent.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 89
  • moth2-small.jpg
    moth2-small.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 97
  • micro1.jpg
    micro1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 114
  • moth3.jpg
    moth3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 99
  • moth4.jpg
    moth4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 125
Hi Ken,
1. Iron Prominent.
2. Pale Tussock male.
3. Brimstone. I think.
4. Over exposed, but looks like one of the China Marks.
5. A Swift, possibly Common or Map-winged but some wing markings apparently abscent.

It would help if you could reduce the glare made by the flash in your photo editing programme before putting them up.

Harry Eales.

1.Iron Prominent
2.Don't know
3.Possibly Scoparia ambigualis. Many confusion species, but this is often first one to appear and I've seen it on other people's lists.
4.Very likely to be Green Carpet. The green fades quickly leaving just the black marks.
5.Not familiar with last one. I assume this is one you think is Plumed Prominent. It looks probable. to me

Now that I've seen Harry's answer (swop 3 & 4 I think Harry)

Last one does look like "a" Swift. They're quite variable, but I've only ever seen Map-wing.

Last edited:
CJW said:
Iron Prominent
Pale Tussock
Depressaria sp.
White-pinion Spotted
Gold Swift

Hi Chris,
White-pinion Spotted never entered my mind, probably because I have never seen one alive. I thought of mentioning Gold Swift but it's easily a month early, however some people get warmer weather than me.

Harry

Wow, guys, why did I both buying any ID books. Thanks a million!
I got so many moths last night (25th) I haven't even had time to photo them all yet! But at least 4 are new to me. and there's an almost monotone lime hawkmoth, presumably very faded. I'll try and find time to post some of them after work.

A few more Id confirmations please:
1. Is this a poorly marked Rustic Shoulder-knot (had three other typical ones this morning)
2. Clouded-bordered Brindle?
3. The Spectacle or Dark Spectacle?
4. Same moth as 3
5. The Lychnis

A good little selection this morning including first Elephant and Eyed Hawk-moths of the year. I also have a Rustic/Uncertain/Vine's type that I almost discarded as late Common Quaker. It is in the fridge awaiting inspection later.

Thanks.

Attachments

• rustic_sk_may_04_640b.jpg
    rustic_sk_may_04_640b.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 92
  • clouded_bordered_brindle_may_04_640a.jpg
    clouded_bordered_brindle_may_04_640a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 73
  • spectacle_may_04_640a.jpg
    spectacle_may_04_640a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 91
  • spectacle_may_04_640b.jpg
    spectacle_may_04_640b.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 77
  • lychnis_may_04_640b.jpg
    lychnis_may_04_640b.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 94
brianhstone said:
A few more Id confirmations please:
1. Is this a poorly marked Rustic Shoulder-knot (had three other typical ones this morning)
2. Clouded-bordered Brindle?
3. The Spectacle or Dark Spectacle?
4. Same moth as 3
5. The Lychnis

A good little selection this morning including first Elephant and Eyed Hawk-moths of the year. I also have a Rustic/Uncertain/Vine's type that I almost discarded as late Common Quaker. It is in the fridge awaiting inspection later.

Thanks.

Don't think I'm going to help you hugely this time but,
1. I think so
2. possibly, as I've never seen this form
3/4. Spectacle
5. I'll leave this to someone with experience of this species.

Rustic/Uncertain/Vine's............lets bring on the debate!! ;)

CJW said:
Iron Prominent
Pale Tussock
Depressaria sp.
White-pinion Spotted
Gold Swift

With you on all bar Gold Swift CJW. I think it fits better with map winged both for flight time and in that map winged have great variation including an almost uniform brown appearance like that pictured. It looks small if that is a standard egg box background, but then again I have found map winged can vary enormously in that respect.

White pinion spotted - possibly inspirational to the level of red Erik!! (still have to see more of the moth for certainty though) B :)

Hello Brian,
1. Probably Rustic Shoulder-knot but very similar to a pale version of Common Rustic or even a pale Large Nutmeg.
2. Probably Cloud Bordered Brindle, they can be very variable.
3&4. Spectacle.
5. Lychnis.

Harry

Thanks everyone. Another view of the Clouded-bordered Brindle attached.

Attachments

• clouded_bordered_brindle_may_04_640b.jpg
    clouded_bordered_brindle_may_04_640b.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 94
harry eales said:
Hello Brian,
1. Probably Rustic Shoulder-knot but very similar to a pale version of Common Rustic or even a pale Large Nutmeg.

The reniform stigmata look the wrong shape for Common Rustic, which should look more ear or kidney-shaped from what I can see. And the orbicular stigmata look larger than Large Nutmeg and again more like Rustic SK. In which case I will stick it down as another Rustic SK.

Cheers

1. Have you considered Nutmeg?
2. Agree with CBB looking at 2nd picture
3. Spectacle
4. If indeed this is the very same as 3 it must be spectacle, however, the darker colour in this shot could be persuasive of Dark Spectacle
5. Lychnis

Last edited:
Thanks Drinker. I had a Nutmeg recently and it took a couple of goes to come to the ID. Today's moth seems to lack the 'W' on the subterminal line - see attached pic of the recent Nutmeg.

Attachments

• nutmeg_may_04_640x.jpg
    nutmeg_may_04_640x.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 79
The Drinker said:
With you on all bar Gold Swift CJW. I think it fits better with map winged

Nope you're wrong.
Mapwing always shows an obvious white spot in one half of where the reniform stignata should be. This spot is always more obvious on the plain forms. The photo does not show such a feature.
The plain forms of Orange Swift and Common Swift are very 'wishy-washy' affairs whereas the plain form of Gold Swift invariably retains some markings and colouration.
It's a Gold Swift and don't give me any of that flight period rubbish!
Rant over.

CJW said:
Nope you're wrong.
The plain forms of Orange Swift and Common Swift are very 'wishy-washy' affairs whereas the plain form of Gold Swift invariably retains some markings and colouration.
It's a Gold Swift and don't give me any of that flight period rubbish!
Rant over.

Okay, I'll possibly concede the map winged angle (for now), but I'm sure not having positive identification on Gold based on the picture. No disrespect to the photographer, but it appears slightly over exposed and the moth may well be duller than appearance on screen in real life. Given the variance possible within the swift family (AND THE FLIGHT TIME CONSIDERATION AS A GUIDE) I think it needs more examining and ultimately genitalia, as ever, would be as good as a DNA sample in a paternity case!!! :gn:

CJW said:
Iron Prominent
Pale Tussock
Depressaria sp.
White-pinion Spotted
Gold Swift

Just to keep everyone on their toes :bounce:
My county recorder had the micro as Scoparia pyralella and the swift as common swift. Apparently gold swift is extremely local in Surrey, and comes out much later... it's not easy this moth ID lark!!

harry eales said:
Hello Brian,

I am now thinking this is a Large Nutmeg. I have now had quite a few Rustic SK and none like this (especially with the dark thorax stripe in the wrong place). Caught two presumed Large Numegs this morning (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17369) and although a bit better marked than this I reckon this is the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back