• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet another little jobbie (1 Viewer)

Grampy Bustard

Sorry chaps, another little one which has avoided identification. I have scoured the books and the moth sites but just have not stumbled upon it, and yet it can't be too special as I have had a few over the last few days. Resembles a bird dropping when on a leaf. Any suggestions welcomed.

Had another Lunar Thorn and a Syacamore yesterday, both reasonable for NW Dorset.

Attachments

• Brown jobbie.jpg
    Brown jobbie.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 94
Grampy Bustard said:
Sorry chaps, another little one which has avoided identification. I have scoured the books and the moth sites but just have not stumbled upon it, and yet it can't be too special as I have had a few over the last few days. Resembles a bird dropping when on a leaf. Any suggestions welcomed.

Had another Lunar Thorn and a Syacamore yesterday, both reasonable for NW Dorset.
I'm relunctant to go better than a short list of 3.

#1If it has yellow palps (at front of head) then its Epiblema cynosbatella (don't think its this one)
#2Hedya pruniana (Plum Tortrix)
#3Hedya nubiferana (Marbled Orchard Tortrix)

I suspect its #2 as #3 is longer, and your photo looks like its the shorter one. A side view may convince me more, but perhaps your research can confirm it for yourself.

HTH

Thanks again

Angus / Chris

Epiblema cynosbatella looks good in my book. Likes roses apparently, so the name of my house ' Rose Cottage' is a bit of give away then.

Easy when you know where to look.
Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back