• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new modular Swarovski scopes (1 Viewer)

More information, including full technical data and a link to Eagle Optics pricing here:

http://birddigiscoper.blogspot.com/2012/07/new-swarovski-atxstx-spotting-scope.html

The wide field zoom with a maximum magnification of 70x is certainly a big step in the right direction, but IMO, even 70x is still a bit low for a 95mm aperture. If the optics are well corrected most people will not quite be able to discern the smallest details at 70x that are resolvable by a 95mm scope. Still, on paper these look like very desirable telescopes, especially the 95mm. Next, we'll have to see just how well corrected the optics really are in the real world and if Swarovski can consistently build production units that live up to the design potential.

Last edited:
Most interesting...

Just been reading about this new kit from Swaro on Martin Garners website...seems pretty impressive...[as all their scopes are]...!

Have heard enough of the 'pros' tho....i wonder about the 'cons'...?

Price would be one of the 'cons'....around $4000 which i presume would still be £4000 in UK for basic 95 module scope set up...?

I haven't got enough arms and legs to sell....B :)

Still interested in viewing the scope...and hope the ATX is at the Birdfair next month in blighty.....

A straight version to come in due course i believe....

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

Last edited:
The theory of a modular scope system has been around the top manufacturers for years. The main reason for not progressing this has been development costs and retail price. Swaro have have gone and done it and borne the first of these, but we'll see if the market can bear the retail price.

Well its here now and it looks fabulous! I cant wait to see the new Swaro system and I wonder how long it will be before the others dust off their own designs that have been gathering dust for the last 15+ years.

Looks brilliant but that 95mm is going to get all steamed up on a tropical foreign trip. Even the 80mms get too cold in the early morning and are a fog magnet.

cheers, alan

Interesting stuff, and about time one of the big five introduced a modular system. The zoom looks like a *very* interesting eyepiece indeed. These buggers are heavy though, almost 1600 gr for the 65mm - does that include the zoom? If it doesn't that's quite some weight for a 65mm scope.

Hermann

I've long been noticing a trend for smaller scopes and I did a wee survey on Lesvos this spring and 100% of those surveyed (myself included) were using <65mm models - not a single large objective scope in over 150 birders! Reason - baggage allowance on airlines is becoming increasingly prohibitive of taking your heavier gear abroad.

A modular system does however let you have a home big gun and an away little 'un.

We had a chance to check this scope out recently and the modularity is a wonderful and extremely well executed feature and understandably, is the feature at the center of attention with the new scope. Having said that, a number of us here were even more taken aback by the optics on the new scope. Modularity aside, it's quite the instrument!
Ben Lizdas
Sales Manager
Eagle Optics
www.eagleoptics.com

I've long been noticing a trend for smaller scopes and I did a wee survey on Lesvos this spring and 100% of those surveyed (myself included) were using <65mm models - not a single large objective scope in over 150 birders! Reason - baggage allowance on airlines is becoming increasingly prohibitive of taking your heavier gear abroad.

A modular system does however let you have a home big gun and an away little 'un.

Steve

I've really never understood the "small scope for a foreign trip" stuff. Surely those are the birds you will see LESS often, so want the BEST ("once in a lifetime") views of? Surely (if you have one) then the small scope should be reserved for local birding? Or does nobody care what views they get on a foreign trip?

Looking forward to testing the 95mm - but not looking forward to buying it!

cheers, alan

I've really never understood the "small scope for a foreign trip" stuff. Surely those are the birds you will see LESS often, so want the BEST ("once in a lifetime") views of? Surely (if you have one) then the small scope should be reserved for local birding? Or does nobody care what views they get on a foreign trip?

Looking forward to testing the 95mm - but not looking forward to buying it

Hi Alan, I think the point is that small scopes are so good now it actually makes little difference.

As a tour leader I'm always tight on luggage weight and on how much gear I have to carry in the field, and like many other tour leaders I know, we opt to carry a 65mm.

If you did side by side lab tests, large objective scopes usually only come into their own for <10% of your birding day (unless you're birding in a British summer then make that 100%!) - so why lug all that extra weight around for so little gain?

Also, it depends where you are birding. Birding light in Lesvos (where I do most of my scope birding) and Middle East region is far superior to light in the UK (where I dont even use a scope anymore!).

Also, it depends where you are birding. Birding light in Lesvos (where I do most of my scope birding) and Middle East region is far superior to light in the UK (where I dont even use a scope anymore!).

I think those are very good points but light can be grim in the tropics so I've always stuck with the 80mm and won't be changing (until I get the 95mm..).

cheers, alan

The 95mm for a seawatch in late autumn up on Orkney would be King. The Swaro 80hd blows my mind and am saving like mad.... Lordy knows it'll take a fair while lol but the view... Must be immense.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back