• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX zoom (1 Viewer)

@KBadrick

Not long had 85mm ATX and extremely happy with it's optical performance but like to ask anyone about the zoom, mine seems to rub making a rubbing sound, do you think that is because you need more pressure to turn it than the focus which is very smooth and quiet . Thanks Keith

Not long had 85mm ATX and extremely happy with it's optical performance but like to ask anyone about the zoom, mine seems to rub making a rubbing sound, do you think that is because you need more pressure to turn it than the focus which is very smooth and quiet . Thanks Keith

the zoom ring is designed to be a bit more stiff to distinguish it from the focus ring according to Swaro.

Might be some issue with the rubber armor?

don't own one myself, but the ones I have tried, I did't notice any disturbing or unnatural sound, but I guess it could be quite subjective.

Ask your dealer, swaro service is first class, so if it's a problem, they will fix it!

Thanks for that I have asked dealer and swarovski conflicting answers, just liketo hear from anyone who has got one anyway thanks again .Regards Keith

KB,

The rubber zooming ring in the prism/eyepiece module can rub against the metal of the objective module, and in some module pairings this can cause excessive friction when you zoom. You can test if this is the case by removing the prism unit and turning the zoom without the objective. If it turns more easily and without noise, then this is what is happening in yours. If so, you can try carefully applying some silicone rubber treatment (car interior treatment) to the front edge of the zoom ring. Apply to a Q-tip and then spread on the ring with that to eliminate any possibility of getting the stuff on the lenses.

Good luck,

Kimmo

Thanks mine rubs the same when objective and eyepiece are apart . The zoom Rubber seems to rub against the metal inner. Will this be because there is more pressure on the zoom making it that little bit harder to turn. Thanks for your help kind regards Keith.

The zoom is always going to be harder to turn than the focus. Swaro says this is deliberate, so that you can tell the two apart by their resistance. I think this is just a convenient way to turn necessity into a virtue, since the ergonomically smart placing of the zoom control in front of the prism necessitates a system of linkages from the moving lens elements behind the prism to the front, probably making it impossible to achieve truly light zooming action. There is variation between units, though. Mine moves pretty easily, but I have seen some that were quite stiff.

Kimmo

Hi yes mine was new also, but definitely a rubbing sound on the zoom when turned, probably friction. It's a shushing noise . Regards Keith

I had a problem with my my zoom which is an 85 ATX and mine was rubbing also there was a grating noise
and started to get stiffer, I took it back to Chew Valley Optics who after trying it exchanged it for a new one
with no quibbles, the new one is perfect no rubbing, or sound from it.
Take it back to your optic shop and let them give it a go.

Think I've had it to long to take back to uttings had it about 3 months.
A job for Swarovski i think, don't want to lose it in transit tho.

Hi yes mine was new also, but definitely a rubbing sound on the zoom when turned, probably friction. It's a shushing noise . Regards Keith

Mine does the same (sushing sound I mean) never bothered me though.
Thought it is normal, and at least it is smooth. The other samples I tried had the same, so it seems "normal"

Kind regards,

Gijs

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back