• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski SV 10x50 vs Leica ultravid HD PLUS 10x50 (1 Viewer)

bockos

Hi,
I want to ask is there somebody that have an experience with the two binos and what is the difference in clarity, sharpness, contrast, 3D between two binoculars. Which is sharper and brighter- Swarovski 10x50 SV or Leica HD Plus 10x50? Thanks in advance!

HD plus will have a few precent extra transmission and even more in the blue spectrum, 92-93% perhaps in daylight,
but no AK prisms so there will be no 95%+ transmission,
I haven't tried the HD plus yet, but I'm a bit curious to,
getting interested in getting a 10x50 or even a 10x56 for more stationary use,

test of the previous HD 10x50 and SV 10x50:
http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testr...te-Leica-Swarovski-en-Zeiss-november-2011.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks, is there someone that has seen leica Ultravid HD Plus, what is the brightness and resolution of the binocular?

I can't believe there will be a simple answer to that question. If one make was definitely brighter and sharper than the other then the weaker one would either have to improve or risk not selling.
I'm sure there will be brand devotees who say that their preferred make is the best but each of us has individual eyesight and may be suited to one of the models while someone else will prefer the other.
I've not seen either of the 10x50's but I've used both makers' 10x42 models and while there are subtle differences in colour and flatness of field I certainly wouldn't say that one was better than the other in terms of sharpness or brightness. Which one you prefer will probably come down to personal perception of the image, together with other factors such as ergonomics, focussing etc.

Nick

I have only spent time with 10x42 HD Plus and current SLC 10x42 and under sunny or bright conditions I find them about equal in brightness,sharpness and contrast. Under dark cloudy skies I can see more detail with the SLC 10x42 which surprised me.
I have always found Leica to be lacking in brightness,sharpness and contrast compared to the alpha Swarovski and Zeiss in low light conditions.

hello, i have sold my swarovision , instead i bought a leica ultravid 10x42 HD plus , reasons ?

- The eyecups from the swarovsion are a bit larger in diameter than the leica and didn't fit my eye sockets and after a while it bothers me.
- with the swarovision i had a nervous image ,it seems that i had to much image ?
- I can hold the leica more steady for a more relax view .

Last edited:
hello, i have sold my swarovision , instead i bought a leica ultravid 10x42 HD plus , reasons ?

- The eyecups from the swarovsion are a bit larger in diameter than the leica and didn't fit my eye sockets and after a while it bothers me.
- with the swarovision i had a nervous image ,it seems that i had to much image ?
- I can hold the leica more steady for a more relax view .

was it the 10x50 SV you had?

Hi,
I want to ask is there somebody that have an experience with the two binos and what is the difference in clarity, sharpness, contrast, 3D between two binoculars. Which is sharper and brighter- Swarovski 10x50 SV or Leica HD Plus 10x50? Thanks in advance!

the new 10x50 HD Plus apparently have 92% transmission, in the "whole spectrum" ,

if I understand correctly what is said here (but my german is not that good)
see after 0.55 in this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpdgdN61cfI

Last edited:
Has anybody put up these new alpha 10x50 roofs against some cheap old fujinon fmtsx 10x50 porros? I'd be interested to see how they go. Purely on optical terms of course.

Don't know about the "whole" spectrum but Allbinos gave the Transmission of the HD in 2010 as 90.6+/-1%.

http://www.allbinos.com/194-binoculars_review-Leica_Ultravid_10x50_HD.html

92% isn't a big jump.

Gijs measured 89.5% but only 85% night time (500nm)
(haven't seen any official numbers from Leica)
and HT glass will make them most difference in the blue-violet spectrum,
so the transmission curve will be flatter and 7% at 500nm will be visible,
at 450 nm the difference will probably be even be larger

http://www.houseofoutdoor.com/testr...te-Leica-Swarovski-en-Zeiss-november-2011.pdf

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back