• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo Traveler with scope/birding head? (1 Viewer)

Hello I’m interested in buying a Gitzo traveller tripod to use abroad with a smaller travel scope (Kowa TSN-553 or similar). However, Gitzo don’t recommend any of their birding heads for use with this tripod. Does anyone use a Traveller tripod and if so what head do you use with it?
Thanks for the advice

Personally I would not recommend a Traveller (even Gitzo) for scope use. However, if that is the only tripod you can bring, they will do the job - sort of.

I have a Gitzo G1550T and, coincidentally, was using it with my 50mm scope yesterday. I was just using a Triopo RS3 ball head (holds anything!) simply because it was what I had handy. Much as I am a Gitzo fan the traveller series are not ideal for scopes, being a bit light and not rigid enough IMO. If weight is at a premium then I use a 2 series Mountaineer but normally use a 4 series Systematic. I find that scopes are far more difficult to support than even the longest lenses such as my Canon 800mm.

If only a Traveller will fit your travel needs then go for a 2 series with as few leg sections as you can get away with. The GT2545T looks interesting.

Many heads are not recommended for Traveller tripods as they do not allow the tripod to fold back on itself (too wide) so just take it off for stowage. Pretty much any head will fit.

Happy hunting!

Thank you John3f3,

I've used a travel tripod in the past - not ideal as you say but I like the option when weight limits are tight. I'l look into your other suggestions. Thanks again.

Best
KH

Hi KH,

I've been using the Gitzo 2545T on my tours for about 3 years now. Personally I think its the best lightweight tripod I've ever used. It's by no means cheap, but its done many overseas tours now, and its as good as the day I bought it. I have 2 heads; the 2720QR and the GHF2W, although I've only had the latter a few weeks now, and the GHF2W is better for the 85mm ATX, although the 2720 is fine for the 65mm.

Link to spec on WEX site here.https://www.wexphotovideo.com/gitzo-gt2545t-series-2-traveler-carbon-exact-tripod-1578628/

Stu

Hi KH,

I've been using the Gitzo 2545T on my tours for about 3 years now. Personally I think its the best lightweight tripod I've ever used. It's by no means cheap, but its done many overseas tours now, and its as good as the day I bought it. I have 2 heads; the 2720QR and the GHF2W, although I've only had the latter a few weeks now, and the GHF2W is better for the 85mm ATX, although the 2720 is fine for the 65mm.

Link to spec on WEX site here.https://www.wexphotovideo.com/gitzo-gt2545t-series-2-traveler-carbon-exact-tripod-1578628/

Stu
Hello Stuart,

Well that's good to know. I already have a 2720QR head - so Gitzo's advice was wrong then -clearly the head will work with a Traveler scope. Thanks for taking the trouble to set me right.

Best
Keith

I don't know about a 50mm scope like your Kowa, but I found even a Gitzo 1127 Mountaineer tripod not up to the task of holding my Meopta MeoStar HD 82mm at 60x, and had to upgrade to a GT2532. The Traveler, while a great portable photo tripod, is going to struggle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back