• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Egret with flesh coloured toes? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Am wondering if Legret only achieve yellow toes when they become fully adult (NE.London), and that may be 2-3 years, as I posted a bird perhaps a month back showing dark toes?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1890641.jpeg    Legret in the pink.jpeg
    P1890641.jpeg Legret in the pink.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 100
We get a lot of Little Egret in Liaoning, China and I can't say I've seen that particular coloration before, but I wouldn't consider it to be outside of normal color variations.

The brook is shallow and stoney where the Legrets feed outback to my abode, I see them nearly every day between late Summer and late Spring often several times a day, and virtually always in flight, or perched up on trees. Invariably feet exposed most times, and they are always yellow, apart from this instance and as mentioned before, hence the question regarding ageing. I dunno...

Cheers

The feet often turn pink/purple for a short while at the start of the breeding season, as do the lores. This change in bare part colour is fairly common among herons.

Juvenile Little Egrets already have green/yellow feet while in the nest, usually extending up the legs initially but becoming restricted to the feet only after a few weeks.

The feet often turn pink/purple for a short while at the start of the breeding season, as do the lores. This change in bare part colour is fairly common among herons.

Juvenile Little Egrets already have green/yellow feet while in the nest, usually extending up the legs initially but becoming restricted to the feet only after a few weeks.

Good to know John. :t:

I think the bird on the photo may have dull yellow legs, and the color is a trick of light.

But I saw Little Egrets with grey-pinkish, greenish, dark grey or blackish feet. Especially dark feet seem to be quite normal in first-year birds, and a sort of laziness of field guides not to mention it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back