• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

That's a lot of Dolphins! (1 Viewer)

I would query the estimating methods - my understanding of Common Dolphin estimation is for schools swimming at the surface, estimate = 3X no. visible at any one time.

And 100 Common Dolphins is fairly easily beaten in Britain, let alone places like South Africa.... underwhelmed by this report.

John

I'vee seen an estimated 1000 Long-beaked Common dolphins off the coast of Baja California, and the sighting lasted more than 25 minutes too, so I agree that the reported sighting isn't that impressive.

Andrea

Its an exhilarating clip and as suggested looks more like say double the amount said. Once I counted/estimated a conservative 500 Common Dolphins in a feeding frenzy off Cabo de São Vicente, Portugal.

I'vee seen an estimated 1000 Long-beaked Common dolphins off the coast of Baja California, and the sighting lasted more than 25 minutes too, so I agree that the reported sighting isn't that impressive.

Andrea

Well I don't think I'll bother next time.........

Well I don't think I'll bother next time.........

Hey, Andy: its like calling something wrong on a seawatch. Chances are the correction teaches you - or somebody there - something that they wouldn't otherwise have learned. Never turn down a learning opportunity. :t:

BTW I believe "Long-beaked Common Dolphin" has just been lumped, we are back to one species: Common Dolphin.

John

Just part of a pod of Capensis Common Dolphin off Cape Point South Africa back in 2009. Was estimated at over 3000 dolphin. Didn't have a wide enough lens.

Martyn

Attachments

• 997.1.jpg
    997.1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back