• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding In Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Dean Powell said:
Hi Graham,

Great to see you have landed here. It seems that the thread is picking up pace and attracting some local birders who have interesting birding stories and accounts to tell.

Enjoy your birding at Knotbury.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Hi Dean
Like you, I'm glad there is a few more looking into this thread. I thought I'd let you know that the Tree Sparrow is back, got a decent photo this time. The Blackcaps seem to have done a bunk, I hope they might come back with their babies

Last edited:
Thanks guys

I think we will stick with Coombes after all. I presume the site is well marked? as I said earlier, I have never been there before. How long would it take to do the whole reserve.

We will be meeting up at 9am as my friends are coming from near Barnsley and us two are coming from Coventry.

John

JimMorris said:
Hi Graham,
Welcome to the forum, nice to see another Staffs birder. Dimmingdale was the first place I visited when I moved here from Kent. Its a lovely area but I wasn't into birding then so I must give it a go. Its a big area so is it best to go to the left or to the right at the Ramblers Retreat.

When you say the waterstation and haden tunnel, where are we talking about as I am still finding my way around this part of the world.
Happy Birding

I Jim nice to hear from you.
Dimmingdale i tend to go left by the rambles retreat keeping the ponds on my left, climbing up to the ranger youth hostel, back down to the ponds crossing them on the footpaths and heading home with them on my left. but theres a lot of paths and it is good to just wander about.

New haden tunnel
As you are an ex landlord i am sure you will know where the draycott arms is, turn left there heading to cheadle, turn right at the crossroads to the old quarry entrance. you will come to a pair of large gates facing farm house, you can get past these to the left, walk down the concrete road you come to a small wood the water station is in there. you're past the tunnel on the left. the old railway line continues ahead, i see goldcrest around there pretty often.
GOOD LUCK GRAHAM

Reader said:
Thanks guys

I think we will stick with Coombes after all. I presume the site is well marked? as I said earlier, I have never been there before. How long would it take to do the whole reserve.

We will be meeting up at 9am as my friends are coming from near Barnsley and us two are coming from Coventry.

John

If you are coming along the A523 from Ashbourne there is a Equestrian Center on the left hand side, further along the road the sign for Coombes will on the right hand side of the road pointing left. It's near Bradnop.

Hi John,

Coombes Valley RSPB is a place to enjoy and savour. Take your time here and enjoy what is basically a woodland walk. There is a brook through the middle and a hide at the base with a pond. Just relax and take it all in.

Bird song in the base of Coombes is fantastic when at its height.

Its worth looking around the car park and along the start of the track.

I did some voluntary work there last year helping a field teacher with groups of children and adults. Also did some day events for RSPB away from Coombes with staff based there.

Not done any so far this year at Coombes. Most of the work is done in the week and not so much at weekends.

I have been doing monthly survey work for the RSPB on a farm in Cheshire as part of a project called Operation Tree Sparrow.

I like Coombes during all seasons and in all its moods. It is an amazing place during or after a fall of heavy snow!! Fantastic place when in Autumn colours. Quiet in the summer.

The best time for birding is in the Spring when the trees are still relatively free of leaves. I have seen GS Woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Tree Creepers, Jays, Pied Flycatchers, Tree Pipits. Wood warblers, Redstart, Chiff Chaff, Willow Warbler. I have seen Bullfinch, Buzzards on thermals above Coombes and heard Owls screaching in woodland. I have seen Grey Wagtails and there are Dipper.

In May time I have been there early evening and stayed until the sun has gone down and the moon up. The meadow in the base is a riot of colour with wild flowers and orchid.

I have seen many Woodcock roding.

Some people say that Coombes is quiet and it can be but you have to spend time there, be patient and scan everything with your bins.

There is a small visitor centre and a board to tell you what is about.

The woodland is great if your interested in fungi, bug hunting, butterflies, moths and bats etc.

There are many nestboxes and bat boxes through the woods. I sometimes walk round the reserve up and out of it and go to a high point looking down in to the Churnet Valley below and have walked down to the canal and river from here.

Other places to consider are Consal Nature Park in the Churnet Valley, Dimmingsdale, and Deep Hayes Country Park.

Of course north of Coombes Valley you have the Peak District.

One recommended area for a good walk is Cotton Dell in Oakamoor not far from Dimminsgdale. This is a scenic reserve managed by the local wildlife trust. If you tap in Cotton Dell on the net you will find an 8 mile circular walk.

The Dane Valley, Three Shires Head and Gradbach area of the Staffordshire Moorlands is recommended for walking and birding.

In this region the habitats are diverse.

Dean Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Thanks Dean for that comprehensive answer.

We should be able to spend some time at Coombes. The reason we are going there is that all four of us are meeting up to discuss an itinerary for Lesvos (going May 3rd - 17th) and we thought we would make a day of it and end up having a pub lunch.

Deciding what to do after Coombes might be hard. If you were to pick a second site to go to where would it be?

John

Reader said:
Thanks Dean for that comprehensive answer.

We should be able to spend some time at Coombes. The reason we are going there is that all four of us are meeting up to discuss an itinerary for Lesvos (going May 3rd - 17th) and we thought we would make a day of it and end up having a pub lunch.

Deciding what to do after Coombes might be hard. If you were to pick a second site to go to where would it be?

John

Hi John,

Too many Choices!!!

If I wanted an upland/moorland walk with an element of birding I'd go up to Flash if the weather was good and walk over to Three Shires Bridge along Dane Valley, up over moorland back to Flash. You will need good footwear, rucksack and protective clothing to guard against elements etc. An OS map would assist. There is a small pub in Flash.

If I wanted to do a woodland walk with a hilly aspect and views etc I would go to Oakamoor in the Churnet Valley and do the 3 hour walk around Cotton Dell from the Village. Very scenic walk and a nice part of the Churnet Valley.

If you need a pint B :) not far from Coombes is a small village called Foxt and a nice pint can be had from the one pub there. Nice old pub.

There are pubs in Oakamoor.

You could drive down into the Churnet Valley from Coombes and park up by the Boat Inn. Have a pint and bite to eat from there and plan your trip-Then make your way to Oakamoor.

Others may have different suggestions.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Lesvos

Hi John
I was interested to see that you're off to Lesvos on the 3rd then.
Will you be staying at Kalloni or somewhere in the North ?
It's become a bit of a ritual for Tina and I since 1999.
Lovely country, people and birds!
Regards
Mick
B :)

. "The reason we are going there is that all four o us are meeting up to discuss an itinerary for Lesvos (going May 3rd - 17th) "

Hi Mick

We will be staying at the Kalloni II. It will be the second time I have been there, the last time being in Aug 97. Hopefully the birding will be even better at this time of the year, although I had no complaints the last time I went.

John

Mick Sway said:
Hi John
I was interested to see that you're off to Lesvos on the 3rd then.
Will you be staying at Kalloni or somewhere in the North ?
It's become a bit of a ritual for Tina and I since 1999.
Lovely country, people and birds!
Regards
Mick
B :)

Lesvos

John
I guess that you might bump in to Mr Brooks then, I realy miss his updates!
I found them very entertaining.
In 2005 we were driving down the one way from Ipsilou and were stopped by
the army for accidently pointing the camera in the direction of the radar station, whilst photographing a Black Eared Wheat!
Thought that we were going to get arrested but they let us off when they saw that it was a digital camera - scary though!
We're staying at Anaxos, because its quite cheap and very rural, though we spend a lot of time in Kalloni. We love to take some lunch in the square.
Last years birding was excellent, though spring was late there, encouraging waders and herons to hang on.
Have a good un!
Best
Mick

Reader said:
Hi Mick

We will be staying at the Kalloni II. It will be the second time I have been there, the last time being in Aug 97. Hopefully the birding will be even better at this time of the year, although I had no complaints the last time I went.

John

Cheers Mick.

BTW a similar thing happened to us in Turkey last year when we went near military station. Soon after a patrol pulled us up and didn't let us go for about 15 minutes (after checking out our credentials via their mobile phones). Scary.

John

Reader said:
Cheers Mick.

BTW a similar thing happened to us in Turkey last year when we went near military station. Soon after a patrol pulled us up and didn't let us go for about 15 minutes (after checking out our credentials via their mobile phones). Scary.

John

Were you wearing your BF cap ;)

Only ever been to 'The Roaches' after seeing an article in birdwatching magazine, we did look into the Reservoir below but it was heaving with families having a day out.
Fantastic views from the top, and managed to get see a red grouse rather than just hear them.
The thing i found amusing was people there was loads of parking lower down the road where we parked, but some people had to try and squeeze in to parking spots nr. the foot of the hills, i'd have thought if you were going for a walk the extra 2 minutes up the hill wouldn't have been much of an effort :)

Always interested in trying places i've never been before, so i'll be making a few notes from this thread and trying them out.

Attachments

• RedGrouse3.jpg
    RedGrouse3.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 115
jeff said:

Actually I wasn't. Too bloomin hot and I had to wear a Tilly hat to combat the sun. The temperatures hit 51 Degees whilst we were there.

John

jeff said:

Only ever been to 'The Roaches' after seeing an article in birdwatching magazine, we did look into the Reservoir below but it was heaving with families having a day out.
Fantastic views from the top, and managed to get see a red grouse rather than just hear them.
The thing i found amusing was people there was loads of parking lower down the road where we parked, but some people had to try and squeeze in to parking spots nr. the foot of the hills, i'd have thought if you were going for a walk the extra 2 minutes up the hill wouldn't have been much of an effort :)

Always interested in trying places i've never been before, so i'll be making a few notes from this thread and trying them out.

Hi Jeff
Nice photo, I didn't realize that Red Grouse were around the Roaches, Never been there but its on my list now. Are they there at this time of the year.
Jim

jeff said:

Hi Jeff,

I like to go to the Northern pool of Tittesworth Resevoir facing the Roaches where there are two hides. I usually visit the one on the left. There is a folder behind notice board giving latest sitings.

I tend to go in the evenings from Spring onwards when it is quiet and watch a pair of Barn Owls hunting from fields beyond. Quite often they come close to hide. In last couple of years I have also seen adult foxes and cubs from here. May is a great time to go in the evenings.

I have walked up to the Roaches from here and there is some good birding to be had in the fields around the back of Meerbrook.

It can get busy by the Roaches in summer (Climbers and walkers) with cars parked on lane which I think should be stopped. There is a park and ride scheme from resevoir car park.

The best upland birding is between the back of the roaches and Flash, the Dane Valley and anywhere on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border which is close.

We will have to talk a little more about the Dales side of the Peak National Park North Staffordshire. I know some good day long circular walks in this part of the world.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Last edited:
Dean Powell said:
Hi Jeff,

I like to go to the Northern pool of Tittesworth Resevoir facing the Roaches where there are two hides. I usually visit the one on the left. There is a folder behind notice board giving latest sitings.

I tend to go in the evenings from Spring onwards when it is quiet and watch a pair of Barn Owls hunting from fields beyond. Quite often they come close to hide. In last couple of years I have also seen adult foxes and cubs from here. May is a great time to go in the evenings.

I have walked up to the Roaches from here and there is some good birding to be had in the fields around the back of Meerbrook.

It can get busy by the Roaches in summer (Climbers and walkers) with cars parked on lane which I think should be stopped. There is a park and ride scheme from resevoir car park.

The best upland birding is between the back of the roaches and Flash, the Dane Valley and anywhere on the Cheshire/Staffordshire border which is close.

We will have to talk a little more about the Dales side of the Peak National Park North Staffordshire. I know some good day long circular walks in this part of the world.

Dean

Cheadle Birder

Thanks for the info, i'll print it out and keep it safe.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks to the info on this thread, I had an excellent birding walk around Flash and Knotbury today. Starting in Flash, at the top of Wolf Edge were 3 Wheatear.

Then heading as far as Blackclough Farm. Here there were 5 Ring Ouzels, 1 Wheatear and 3 Raven. Then heading back to Flash from Oxenstich, again at the top of Wolf Edge, the Wheatears had been replaced by 8 Ring Ouzels together with 12 Golden Plover. So a good three hours spent! But you definitely need a map for a first visit.

There were 2 Buzzard by the Winking Man. Swallow Moss was quiet, but its always worth a look. I have seen Merlin here, and at this time of year, dashing across the heather.

I have also spent a few evenings this week at Croxden Quarry. On the 16th there was a pair of Ruddy Shelduck, a Peregrine, 2 Buzzard and a Fox, all seen from the viewpoint by The Queens pub. Not much on the 18th, although there were 3 Hares in the fields along Sandy Lane.

Then on the 20th I explored the other viewpoint from Tarmac's bridle path. A Curlew flew over, 3 Sand Martins, Little Grebe, a good size colony of Jackdaws in the cliff. It all looks like it should be a good area for Little Ringed Plover, but I haven't seen any yet.

Just to start another topic off. Does anyone know of a good spot in North Staffs for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker?

Richard

We spent just over three hours at Coombes Valley this morning. Unfortunately no Pied Fly's or Wood Warblers were heard or showed (I though I heard a distant Pied Fly but wasn't certain about the call because of it's distance). At least 5 Redstart showed, one of them on the TV aerial on the house above the pool. A Grey Wagtail showed by the new bridge and i did manage a half decent shot of a Chiffchaff by the house above the pool.

We were hoping to go elswhere but unfortunately Hummerman (Martin) had to shoot off early and so all we had time for was a pub stop and a meal.

John

Attachments

• Chiffchaff 5378.jpg
    Chiffchaff 5378.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 103
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back