• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wind River 10-50 Olympics (1 Viewer)

wproct

Hi, my first post. I'm retired and don't have a lot of cash to spend on really good binoculars, but a good friend of mine gave me a really good deal on his older Wind River 10-50 Olympics. Just wondering, are these decent, ok binoculars, and also are they fairly durable? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi WP,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Too give you an idea of their price new, here is a new one of these for sale on E-B-- now for $369.99.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Leupold-Wind-River-Olympic-10x50-Binocular-/66794360

But first, have you tried your friends binocular and do you like it and are they suitable for your intended use. Also, if you tried them, could you hold them steady without noticing much hand shake? Those are the most important things for you to consider.

I've never used one of these. I believe Leupolds Green Ring binoculars ranked in the middle of the Leupold line. Leupold has always had a reputation for building strong, rugged binoculars suitable for use in adverse conditions.

I'm sure other people will chime in here.

Bob

I did own a pair of these several years ago. I would rate them slightly better optically than the Nikon Monarch ATBs which were held as a bit of a reference standard for their price point at the time. The 10x50 Olympics are actually very ergonomic for a 50 mm glass but with a bit of a front heavy feel to them because of the contouring and weight distribution.

As for durability, I would rate them at the same level as many of the other $300-$400 roof prism models out there. No better and no worse than many of the other popular models.

The only negative I remember with them was their field of view (true and apparent) was relatively narrow. I think it was between 262 and 282 feet. This may not be an issue depending on your intended application but I thought I would mention it regardless.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the replies. I did buy them for $100, so I'm feeling they should be worth that. I won't be carrying them much. We live in the country and I wanted them to sit in a cabinet by the patio doors to watch wildlife when I have a chance. I liked them because they are fairly compact for the size of the glass, and they seem to focus quickly and smoothly. It's the first roof prism binoculars that I have ever owned. Maybe in the future I can upgrade, but I'm pretty happy with these for the money right now. This is a great forum, I really enjoy reading all of the good information and opinions! Thanks again.

$100 was certainly an excellent price for them if they are in good condition. I think you found a steal. I hope you enjoy using them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back