• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x56 and 10x56 in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

proudpapa56

Where'd you go, stay put!
United States
A very nice surprise, Swarovski North America called me this morning with an offer to stock a very limited # of these models, previously unavailable in the U.S. We should have them on Wed. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

A very nice surprise, Swarovski North America called me this morning with an offer to stock a very limited # of these models, previously unavailable in the U.S. We should have them on Wed. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

WOW! That's great news!

I would have jumped all over it if.....if....I hadn't bought an SV 10X50 not too long ago....

Will these have a valid USA warranty?

Yes they will. Both models will be available by special order in the U.S. sometime next year.
They sent over about 10 of each now just to get things started. My order shipped yesterday and will be at the shop tomorrow.
I'm really excited to check out the 8x56.

This is good news, as this should be the best of the 8 and 10x56 models available.

The 15x56 SLC has been recognized as the best in that size for over 20 years.

I am thinking Henry is considering this one.

Jerry

Yes, I am considering this one. It ought to be a little better than the Zeiss 8x56 FL in every respect, but then I also thought that about the 8x54 HT, until I saw it. I'm mulling over a drive to PA if proudpapa is going to be stocking it.

Wow, during the great rolling ball debates, I couldn't get Brock to drive over from the next county. That's roughly an 8 hour drive Henry but it's great when I get to put faces to the folks that post here.

8x56 and 10x56

Congrats Gordon! Glad you got first crack at the newly imported Swarovskis! You always stocked the habicht porros and draw tube scopes that no one else would carry so it makes sense for Swarovski to supply them to you first. Question I have to Swarovski: what happened to the patent infringement excuse you used for the last four years? Did it get resolved? Or was it marketing-driven from the beginning?
Got mine a couple of years ago from jan van daalen in The Netherlands and they are a wonderful optical instrument! Gordon, save one for yourself and Henry, get up there, check them out, and get the pick of the litter!

Where are you located in Pa. I live near Kennett Square in Northern Delaware.

Andy W.

Henry,

The SLC 8x56's I've seen are in another league entirely from the 8x54 HT's I've tried. Can't know whether you would find it enough of an improvement over your FL, but it's worth the drive to find out. Go early before Proudpapa runs out of stock so you get to try more than one.

For what it's worth, I like the 10x56 even more than the 8x.

Kimmo

Thanks Bruce,

As good as the 8x56 SLC looks I suppose what is keeping me from a purchase is the faint hope that something equally good but a little lighter will come along, like my dream binocular: a 35 oz. 8x50 with AK or Perger prisms and an 8º FOV.

They sent over about 10 of each now just to get things started. My order shipped yesterday and will be at the shop tomorrow.
I'm really excited to check out the 8x56.

I'd love to see your review. I'm also about 3 hours away and might make the trip. Although I did just set a budget. heh

Hi Kimmo,

What do you like better about the 10x56?

Henry

Henry,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I have been on vacation in a place where the sun shines but hardly any birds are seen.

I mostly liked the 10x56 better just because I seem to like 10x better than 8x most of the time. Possibly also because 10x has somewhat flatter field and better edge resolution as well as wider AFOV. Both binoculars are very impressive. Swaro SLC's don't quite have the CA correction of Zeiss FL's, but in most other respects I'd rate their optics higher. I think you'd enjoy seeing them and it's worth the drive if you have the time. It would also be nice to read your impressions if you do get to see them.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back