• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy ducks (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Are there any left ? Not asking for any information of their whereabouts just curious if they're still hanging on. Saw 1 ( well known ) drake last year ,none the year before.Last official figure I could find was 40 birds left in 2016.

Last edited:
Three were reported at a site on Londonbirders at the turn of the year at a site which used to have several hundred wintering, but I suspect they didn't last long. It did demonstrate there are still a few out there.

Wonder, what would happen if one of the shot Ruddy Ducks was found with an American band on?

Sadly, those in charge of the shooting would conceal the info.

Are there any left ? Not asking for any information of their whereabouts just curious if they're still hanging on. Saw 1 ( well known ) drake last year ,none the year before.Last official figure I could find was 40 birds left in 2016.

Still lots about but details only passed by word of mouth. I've seen a few already this year.

Wonder, what would happen if one of the shot Ruddy Ducks was found with an American band on?

Sadly, those in charge of the shooting would conceal the info.

Being reasonable, nothing should happen. Vagrants coming over and joining the introduced problem would be a big problem, adding to the gene pool. Hopefully the last Ruddy Ducks in the UK will either be shot or bottlenecked out of the country.

Being reasonable, nothing should happen. Vagrants coming over and joining the introduced problem would be a big problem, adding to the gene pool. Hopefully the last Ruddy Ducks in the UK will either be shot or bottlenecked out of the country.

No, vagrants crossing the Atlantic wouldn't be a problem at all because if they managed to breed it would be natural range expansion, and to have any sort of scientific credibility at all you just have to live with that.

For me, the sooner the introduced birds are eliminated the sooner we will get the chance to tick a Cat A bird.

John

No, vagrants crossing the Atlantic wouldn't be a problem at all because if they managed to breed it would be natural range expansion, and to have any sort of scientific credibility at all you just have to live with that.

For me, the sooner the introduced birds are eliminated the sooner we will get the chance to tick a Cat A bird.

John

That's simply not the case though. There is an introduced population of Ruddy Ducks in the UK, any vagrant adding to that population cannot suddenly validate the existence of them and class them as a natural range expansion.

That's simply not the case though. There is an introduced population of Ruddy Ducks in the UK, any vagrant adding to that population cannot suddenly validate the existence of them and class them as a natural range expansion.

I'm not suggesting it would, but the introduced birds are nearly gone. Once they are, the case of interference falls.

John

Sure, but my point is we need to make sure all the introduced ones are gone. Just one vagrant could do a lot for the remaining UK population via genetic rescue.

I know this conversation has been done to death many times, but anyone who hides their Ruddy Ducks is clearly only interested in listing and cares very little for the plight of the White-headed Duck.

... anyone who hides their Ruddy Ducks is clearly only interested in listing and cares very little for the plight of the White-headed Duck.

Regardless of your opinion on the cull, that is very obviously not the case. I would imagine there are many 'non-listers' that also 'hide' Ruddy Ducks.

There was one about 8 years ago at Sowley, can't find the date on my list, but I was home from working overseas, and stopped off en route to Lymington Market.
I havent seen one in Hampshire since, but I am a rare visitor now.
Harry

FJ is it on your Hants year list or just your year list? Haven't seen one in Hants for a long time but I think there are still one or two

No, it was brazenly swimming around Dungeness RSPB, actually.

John

Attachments

• 20180107 (21)_Ruddy_Duck.JPG
    20180107 (21)_Ruddy_Duck.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Still lots about but details only passed by word of mouth. I've seen a few already this year.

Lots about ? Fully understand the word of mouth details but I live in the same area as yourself and haven't heard of any ! Presume you've been getting quite a bit further afield to see them ? Admittedly, I've only been out in the North West this year so far.

Lots about ? Fully understand the word of mouth details but I live in the same area as yourself and haven't heard of any ! Presume you've been getting quite a bit further afield to see them ? Admittedly, I've only been out in the North West this year so far.

I'll send you a private message

At least this thread got some replies Iasked the same thing in the Cleveland area 84 views and not a single reply I asked the same question on my fly fishing forum and the debate ran for 3 days.

Lost scot working in warrington for now 2 drakes still alive and well in scotland last year but despite a bit of effort unable to locate any this year in cheshire area

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back