• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommendations for a step up from DCF-WP (1 Viewer)

Bob,

From conversations we've had about 9x35 IF binoculars, you might remember I commented favorably on the Swift 7x36 CFT Eaglet. I've never had a DCF-WP glass up to my eyes. I have had a brief occasion to compare the Eaglets at various dealers to Ziess Conquest 8x30, Pentax 8x32 SP, Minox 8x32, both BR and HG and a new Nikon LXL 8x32. I realy would not trade the Eaglet for any of the others without a considerably more thorough side be side workout. The Eaglet seemed a little better than the Ziess and the Minox 8x32 BR. They seem to be in about a dead heat with the Pentax SP. The Minox HG looked good, but the only obvious improvement was with the Nikon LXL, and that was not much, at least in a store. Now I defer to others about the WP, but a lot of comments seem to indicate little if any image difference WP vs SP. There is little if any difference between the Eaglet and the SP. If the difference is there for you in the Nikon, or other "lelzinikowski" sort of glass, you'll have to decide for yourself if the $$ is worth it to you. The Eaglet does have a 5mm exit pupil and is a good twilight glass for a compact sort of glass. The resolution of the Eaglet is such that I could not tell the lack of 1x magnification in comparison to the 8x. Its also real quick on the focus.

Steve,

I do indeed remember your comments about the Eaglet. This thread was started long before the 9x35s as noted in my post #5 above. The 7x Eaglets were on my short list prior to Doug placing the Minox 6.5x on sale at a price not to be refused.

The WP-SP comparability issue and in turn their performance vis-a-vis alpha bins are what lead me to go for diversity in lieu of replacement. I suspect that only if a deal-of-a-lifetime falls in my lap for a alpha bin will I be upgrading my DCF-WP 8x32s in the short term.

As for my overall bin picture I've put my 10x42s up for sale as I simply seem unable to hold 10x bins steady enough. I had arranged to swap them for 8x42s within 30 days of purchase with EO even though they weren't bought there. But a medical situation forced me to postpone a trip back east which would have allowed me to stop at EO. If they don't sell outright I may see if I can trade them in on something else (no real idea what though) there as I hope to make that postponed trip soon.

--Bob

Its a bit ironic but to be honest I've now gone from pondering whether I should upgrade my DCF-WP 8x32 to wondering if my Minox 6.5x32 satisfactorily fills a niche that normally would see a 7x. In other words what gains would I be afforded by adding a premium 7x42 to my stable (e.g. Swaro SLC, Zeiss FL, Meopta B1, etc.) ?

binocs_updated.jpg

From L-R: 6.5x to 10x

My prime use bins are the 6.5x32 (grab n go), 8x32 (all purpose), and 9x35 (higher magnification).

The two vintage 40+ year old 7x35s have 10.5 and 11 degree FOVs are for fun and car carry. The 8x30 lightweight Sams go with my hiking daypack. The little 9x21 reverse porros used to be in my briefcase before retirement and now serve to view my mailbox for signs of delivery. The big 9x63s only have a 5* FOV but their other characteristics work very well for the night skies. The 10x42 must be used fully braced as I've found 9x to be my handheld limit (no bites on selling these unfortunately).

That's where things sit.....

--Bob

Last edited:
Well after much deliberation and consultation I have a pair of NIB 2003 serial numbered Swarovski (with full current Neu model swarobrite coatings) 7x42B SLC inbound. A nod here to FrankD whose prolific posts and helpful PMs aided my assessment/deliberations.

Next challenge is to thin the herd :)

--Bob

Last edited:
Bob, if you're getting culling any compacts (8x25 or 10x25), do let me know! I might be able to provide a comfy pocket/glove compartment for one of them to live in. :)

Vandit

Vandit,

Unfortunately no. The only small piece I have is a Pentax 9x21 UCF-Mini reverse porro which isn't all that bad for a 7.4 ounce bin so I'll be keeping it.

With acquiring the Swaro 7x42B SLC now, I'm looking at selling the Vortex 10x42 Diamondback which I find I can't hold steady enough, probably one of my 8x but which (Pentax DCF-WP or Leupold Sam) I don't know, and maybe even my Orion 9x63s that I don't use all that much anymore as I have a 5" Maksutov-Newtonian (MN56/EQ6) for serious night sky stuff.

PICT0713_sm.jpg

--Bob

Last edited:
No, no Furys. From all I heard they are pretty average for the money and what they offer. But as I am always curious about 10x, would like to see 10x32, I am most anxious to see them at least. They have an OK fov.

I have now forgotten where I read anything on the Furys, but I think the 8x models will all be worth a look when they come out.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back