• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Dragon/Damselflies reports/news (1 Viewer)

Dragons!

Good numbers of odonata at Strumpshaw yesterday. There were scores of Norfolk Hawkers (including a pair with a very 'devoted' male that flew tight circles around his mate while she oviposited!) still several Hairy Hawkers, a Southern, an Emperor and my first Brown Hawker of the year. Lots of Four-spotted and Scarce Chasers still and numbers of Black-tailed Skimmers are building up. More pictures on the blog.

Attachments

• MALE FEMALE NH 2.jpg
    MALE FEMALE NH 2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 58
  • NORFOLK HAWKER.jpg
    NORFOLK HAWKER.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 66
Strumpshaw

Good numbers of odonata at Strumpshaw yesterday. There were scores of Norfolk Hawkers (including a pair with a very 'devoted' male that flew tight circles around his mate while she oviposited!) still several Hairy Hawkers, a Southern, an Emperor and my first Brown Hawker of the year. Lots of Four-spotted and Scarce Chasers still and numbers of Black-tailed Skimmers are building up. More pictures on the blog.

David
Sincere thanks for this update, after failing to see Swallowtails, Norfolk Hawkers or Scarce Chasers last weekend (special occasion visit) my son telephoned this morning and offered to take me again tomorrow, so will be travelling from Derbyshire to make up for the disappointment. Proves your (regular) updates are read and appreciated. Thanks again Roland :t:

Strump

Thanks for those kind words....
Linda & I had a brief walk around, picking up LOTS of Norfolks, Broad-bodied & Scarce Chasers, Browns, Hairies and two Swallowtails (as well as three Cuckoos together, a Kingfisher and various other bits & pieces!)

Attachments

• Broad-bodied C.jpg
    Broad-bodied C.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 59
  • SC & bee.jpg
    SC & bee.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Norfolk.jpg
    Norfolk.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 88
At least 4 Red-veined Darter at Kelling water meadows. One or two landing on the crosspath to escape the wind.

john

Attachments

• RVDart.jpg
    RVDart.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 86
Hi John,i know where holt lowes is but where are the water meadows?,would love to find the red-veined.

Kelling village is just east of Salthouse, east of Cley. Park by the war memorial and take the path over the road heading north. When you get to the water meadows take the path to the right just past the water, they are along that path.

Odonata fest!

Great views (and - if I do say so myself! - good pictures) of two scarce species today: four Red-veined Darters at Kelling Quags and several Keeled Skimmers at Holt Lowes....

Attachments

• TIP TOES.jpg
    TIP TOES.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 69
  • RVD VERY BEST OF ALL 2.jpg
    RVD VERY BEST OF ALL 2.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Keeled Skimmer.jpg
    Keeled Skimmer.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 79
Strumpshaw yesterday: Brown Hawker, Hairy, Norfolk, 4 spot, black-tailed skimmer, banded, large red-eye, large red, azure and blue-tail.

I can concur with that and i have never seen so many Norfolk hawkers and Scarce chasers at one site before. Also Hairy Dragonfly and Black-tailed Skimmer.

David

We only had a short walk around the Meadow Trail at Strumpshaw late afternoon Sunday and saw only one Scarce Chaser. I asked at reception if there was a good spot for Scarce Chaser as we were running out of time and the volunteer suggested they weren't on the wing yet and then added she wouldn't know of if it landed in front of her! Another volunteer we met on the reserve was very sceptical of our sighting and said they were all over!

Is there a 'hotspot' for Scarce Chaser at Strumpshaw?

Two male Lesser Emperors showed pretty well at Filby boardwalk on Sunday morning, though neither landed when we were there. A Swallowtail performed well in the carpark and along the track to Ormesby Little Broad.

Cheers
Dawn

Scarce Chasers

Hi Dawn!
The best place currently is along Lackford Run: the nettles and willows where it joins the River Yare held at least six on Saturday....

Yes when I was at Strumpshaw on Saturday that appeared to be the best place for Scarce Chasers.

The Ted Ellis Reserve (Wheatfen) across the river is usually even better than Strumpshaw for Scarce Chasers. Although I haven't been there this year yet.

Also at Strumpshaw on Saturday, BT Skimmer, Norfolk Hawker, Banded Demoiselle and Blue Tailed, Red Eyed, Common Blue, Azure and Emerald Damselflies.

There are some lovely, detailed photos being posted on here at the moment.

Cheers

Steve

Variables and Hawkers!

Absolutely squillions of Hawkers (Southern, Norfolk & Brown) on the field-path from Cantley Station to the river bank: still plenty of Variables and Scarce Chasers too....

Attachments

• Variable.jpg
    Variable.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Brown.jpg
    Brown.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Scarce C.jpg
    Scarce C.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Southern.jpg
    Southern.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Norfolk.jpg
    Norfolk.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 70
I don't see too many darters in the garden so this one was a surprise. Is it just a Common?

Attachments

• Darter sp.jpg
    Darter sp.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Darter sp 2.jpg
    Darter sp 2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 79
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back