• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new DSLR vs used older DSLR? (1 Viewer)

Mike Price

Hi All,

My canon 300d plus both the 18-55 and 75-300 lenses recently met with a stick demise (toddler with a cup of blackcurrant).

It's left me wondering what I will replace it with.

As I see it the 1000d or the 450d with the same lens kit would seem like the obviously choices but I was wondering about a used older camera say a 40d.

Also I was thinking of buying a sigma 170-500mm lens are there any advantages or disadvantages with either of these cameras? or teleconverters and buying a suitable lens any thoughts on that?

I expect to have £700-£1000 to spend.

Thanks

oh - sorry to hear about the sad end of the previous camera... kids will spill drinks in the worst places.

As for cameras any of the ones you mention can deliver great images, but personally I'd cross the 1000D off the list as it is much slower than the others (slower frame rate and much smaller buffer). The 40D is a bigger, better built body than the 450D with a faster frame rate a argueably better controls (it's easier to change settings on the fly). Personally I prefer the feel in the hand of the 40D but know others who have gone for the 450D for it's smaller size. Either camera will be a real step up from your 300D. As for the 170-500 it's a bit of a slow lens (both max aperture and AF speed) and is soft when shooting wide open, but if you stop it down it can deliver good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back