• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (5 Viewers)

Image stacking

Hey Guys

Dan--you are showing some interesting results with stacking software. I had Registax 6 on my computer (freeware) which I use for stacking lunar pics. It has a steep learning curve but there are a number of tutorials on the web. Anyway I took your two kingfisher shots and ran them through the program using multipoint alignment (around 800) and then applied some wavelet adjustments at the end. What I found is the program doesn't run color pics uploaded as static jpg files--I lose the red and green channels. However, it does work well with tif and bmp files. I just converted your shots to bmp using PEs. Anyway, Registax is another program to consider. Rich

Attachments

• Pic 1&2 stack.jpg
    Pic 1&2 stack.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 131
That looks a little rough to me, maybe due to the conversion. If you want to play with it, I can upload a couple of tiffs, but I don't think it is worth it. I never have had much luck with RegiStax except for moon shots. Don't haver the setup for planets etc. For that it is great. The wavelet adjustment makes all the difference. Great program, great price!o:)

Thanks, Paul. I will reinstall his. The one I got is a little funny in that the help file crashes the program. Always better from the source!

Last edited:
The Registax Kingfisher above has some strange green/purple banding in the background along with some grain around branches, some odd stuff going on in the out of focus areas. I think from what I read that Registax isn't geared towards focus stacking.

Paul.

I re-installed CombineZP and everything works great. I find I get the best results from "Pyramid Do Stack". The help file is good at explaining how the various methods work.
I have noticed banding sometimes using CZ also, but only with jpegs.

stacking

Paul--I agree that Registax was doing some weird things to the background. Thanks for the direct link to CombineZP. I just downloaded and installed and it works fine. During the installation a CZP Batch shortcut was installed along with the main CZP program. Does anyone know if that is needed? rich

Paul--I agree that Registax was doing some weird things to the background. Thanks for the direct link to CombineZP. I just downloaded and installed and it works fine. During the installation a CZP Batch shortcut was installed along with the main CZP program. Does anyone know if that is needed? rich

This is what I found on the old CombineZ yahoo group webpage regarding CZP Batch. I copied and pasted the text below.

Batch processing lets you set CZ going unattended to stack several sets of
images. You could for instance stack a days worth of work overnight.

To use it you put each set of frames (all of those needed to make a single
image) in it's own folder. Next you place all of these folders in an outer
folder.

Now all you need do is start the Batch Processor, navigate to the outer
folder, set the other options and press OK.

The Batch program will then start CZP once for each of the inner folders.

Obviously you do not need to set any options in this program if you do not
want to do any batch processing. You can safely delete the icon from your
desk top if you think you will never need it.

Hey guys, I recently got a scope for astronomy but I thinking of using it for terrestrial use also. How do you guys mount the telescope for terrestrial use.

Gimbal ?

What models do you guys recommend ? Plus how does this go?
Telescope to clamshell then to which plate if my clamshell does not have the usual photographic tripod screw thread . And anyway just to mention the scope is 7kgs without the clam.

Some of us use LensMaster gimbals, but there are some good ones in Asis that are cheaper and just as good if not better. I made my own mount to save weight:
9962977843_59d94cbe96_b.jpg 12899651154_890402993d_b.jpg

What models do you guys recommend ? Plus how does this go?
Telescope to clamshell then to which plate if my clamshell does not have the usual photographic tripod screw thread . And anyway just to mention the scope is 7kgs without the clam.

My TS102 scope, rings and plate weigh close to 7 kg, excluding the camera and adapter. I use the Lensmaster RH2, works fine.

At the bottom of my clamshell there is only one tripod screw thread. There are other holes but they are for bolts.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back