• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (4 Viewers)

You are SO lucky to have guys like that to "practice" on!;)
Thanks Dan,
I am lucky indeed. We have around 1950 pairs, some of them wintering, quite a few of them migrating and returning late March/early April. From being close to extinct with 19 individuals in 1972, a remarkable recovery initiated by the WWF. Many of them are concentrated in an area about 1000km2 providing a suitable habitat, wooded countryside with biodiversity (relatively speaking). When the weather conditions are right they can be in the right mood and hover at photo range.

Terrific shots Tord! You already know how jealous I am that you have so many raptors on your doorstep. My jealousy just increased seeing those shots. Plus your pics have blue sky in them - a real rarity here at the moment! Keep them coming! :t:

I've got some new shots I'm hoping to share soon however my laptop is currently on its deathbed so I'm having to be patient! :C

... snipped

Had some sun again:
nuthatch at iso400 1/1000s, blackbird at iso 320 1/160s (ev compensated to not get him too black)
Excellent results, I am impressed by the crispness and clarity even in the feathering of the Blackbird.

The Nuthatch is a great composition.

/Tord

Last edited:
Still too cold and windy out to be able to open the window, so this is through two layers of window glass with the sun shining on it. Not too clean either.
_DSC1734-Edit-b_resize.jpg
If you want to see what our house looks like....;)
_DSC1734-Edit-a crop_resize.jpg

Common Kingfisher

We still have winter conditions and the KF is still around for some time.

I managed to come within 20 meters.

Freezing cold, windy conditions, lots of vegetation in the way and not so comfortable shooting position, had to step on toes to get clear sight to meaning wobbly setup and many wasted due to shake blur.

This one is OK I think.

SW80 + 1.4 TC, OMD @ 1/640 s

Attachments

• Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)_4.jpg
    Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)_4.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 81
Thanks. I feel safer with slower shutter speeds, but only when the subject allows.;) This guy is great. He picks up a seed, swallows it, and sits very still for a second or two before looking for another. Haven't seen him all winter. Was here again early this morning, but it is snowing again and very dark. You guys must be getting hit up there too, no?
(More on setup thread)

We have snow, ice and it is bitter cold. Winds from NE dominate and there is no light in the tunnel until early April when we might get temperatures above zero.

Can't believe this weather. It is almost April and it is -5°C out and snowing. You would expect that sort of thing up in Sweden ;) but here?
_DSC1944_resize.jpg

_DSC1957_resize.jpg

_DSC1840_resize.jpg

All through the window. You don't expect me to go out there in the cold, do you?:eek!:

All through the window. You don't expect me to go out there in the cold, do you?:eek!:

That's a stunnig Hawfinch photo, I love the little beads of snow melt in its head. Perfect plane of focus. I thought the temperature difference shooting from a warm house to a cold outdoors would have caused problems, but these look great.

Can't believe this weather. It is almost April and it is -5°C out and snowing. You would expect that sort of thing up in Sweden ;) but here?
Dan,
Malmö is Southmostern Sweden, facing Copenhagen with Baltic Sea in between us. This weather is exceptional. And there is no end in sight.

Thanks, Hyrax,
Well, the glass does cause problems. I have to be very careful to shoot straight through it, and it is good quality glass, for window glass. Two layers with boron in between. A little bit at an angle and the clarity goes out the window....so to speak.
Tord,
:C:-@:egghead::-C

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back