• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (2 Viewers)

Me too...|:D|

I have never had a chance to get close enough to Avocets to be able to get any detail at all in the feathers, but in Skanör, Tord and I were able to get some shots of this one who had wandered off from the main colony and was working a pond only about 30 meters away.
Too bad it was a bit of a "bad hair day" though...;)
View attachment 502610

View attachment 502611

View attachment 502612

Tord even got one showing what he was catching. Maybe we could see it??
Great shots, Dan.

That location place is probably the best spot I know of where to get close to Pied Avocets, while having level perspective.

Here you go: two pictures where the prey they are after is visible in the beak, some tiny crustaceans they skim from the surface.

Attachments

• P5210104-3.jpg
    P5210104-3.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 69
  • P5210062-2.jpg
    P5210062-2.jpg
    633.7 KB · Views: 68
Yup, that him all right! You got the lower angle. I was too lazy;)

Nice thing is he was used to people. In Germany this year there were many Avocets with chicks ranging from fuzz balls to teenagers. It would have been possible to go out in the ankle deep mud to get closer, but they just move off to some other place on the vast Watt. Didn't want to risk falling face first into the mud with my scope in hand!:eek!:

Two birds in flight, one walking...
Honey buzzard ( male) in flight
Pentax K-5, SW80 ED+1,7 TN , handheld- only one photo sharp enough, ten blurred :( . Cropped 50%.

Woodcock in display flight, unfortunately backlit; same setup, but ISO=3200 1/800s, 40% of frame.

Eurasian curlew among lapwings. It was raining, but no thermal distortions ;) .
SW80 ED+1,7 TN, tripod, 50% crop.

Attachments

• Pernis apivorus.jpg
    Pernis apivorus.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Kopia sÅ‚onka 800.jpg
    Kopia słonka 800.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 76
  • sÅ‚oÅ„_2_.jpg
    słoń_2_.jpg
    532 KB · Views: 74
This years crop of Hawfinch young o:D
14507612481_a7e2fcb7fd_o.jpg

14324412038_08cce7f26b_o.jpg

Unfortunately, through double glass. Have to try opening the window without scaring her off...

And now Mama too!
14327370627_22c2155d19_b.jpg

Last edited:
Very busy at the feeder these days. It was so quiet while they were all catching bugs for the little ones, but now everybody has rediscovered a taste for sunflower seeds.
14513932185_8e6603f62d_b.jpg

Snow Geese - Dark Morph

Snow Geese, which are plentiful where I live (about 1.2 M.), come in 2 varieties: the white and the dark morph. The first one is a juvenile.

#1: SW80ED + 1.5X TN, 1/1250 S. -1 EV, ISO 400
#2: SW80ED, 1/4000 S. -2 EV, ISO 400
Both: Olympus EM-1

Attachments

• 002-140508aa205kf.jpg
    002-140508aa205kf.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 65
  • 001-140508aa176kf.jpg
    001-140508aa176kf.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 69
Arctic Terns

Action has slowed down quite a lot the past week qith fewer Terns showing up feeding so I suppose most juveniles have left the nest.

Sharing some photos of Arctic Terns that I am quite pleased with, in spite of lack of sun. These guys are lighthing fast and hard to track. The best shots, full frames and focus spot on came out decapitated. EVF lag....

TS102 + EM-5, ~60% crops

Attachments

• P6300033-2.jpg
    P6300033-2.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 53
  • P6300034-2.jpg
    P6300034-2.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 56
  • P6300061-2.jpg
    P6300061-2.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 58
  • P6300060-2.jpg
    P6300060-2.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 53
Action has slowed down quite a lot the past week qith fewer Terns showing up feeding so I suppose most juveniles have left the nest.

Sharing some photos of Arctic Terns that I am quite pleased with, in spite of lack of sun. These guys are lighthing fast and hard to track. The best shots, full frames and focus spot on came out decapitated. EVF lag....

TS102 + EM-5, ~60% crops

Nice work!

For BiF the E-M1/E-M5 are much more difficult to manage than the D7100. The Nik has a larger field of view with the same pixel pitch, no flickering, and no EVF lag. I find it nearly impossible to to track BiFs with the EVF system, whereas with the Nik you just follow, focus, and shoot. Sure, it blinks, but the image is right there. The blackout of the EVF means the bird is gone. No comparison.

For BiF the E-M1/E-M5 are much more difficult to manage than the D7100. The Nik has a larger field of view with the same pixel pitch, no flickering, and no EVF lag. I find it nearly impossible to to track BiFs with the EVF system, whereas with the Nik you just follow, focus, and shoot. Sure, it blinks, but the image is right there. The blackout of the EVF means the bird is gone. No comparison.

Dan,

I don't share this opinion. Personnaly, I don't see any difference for BIF between the EM-1 and a DSLR. The blackout is very short, a fraction of a second and I don't find it disturbing at all. As far as I'm concerned, the problem is with focusing; the EM-1 is much better than the EM-5, but not as good as the Canon 7D.

Regards
J

Not even in burst mode???!!! Huge difference!
Are you talking about AF? Refresh my soggy memory.... do you have a 7D and Canon lenses or do you just use it on your scope? 7Ds are quite cheep now. I hesitate to get anything yet though because I want to see what the 7D Mark II looks like. If it is what the rumors indicate, it could easily replace my D7100 and my E-M1. I have the 400/5.6 L USM and it is quite good. Works well with the E-M1. But frankly, I am getting a little tired of MF! There are other things I would like to be able to concentrate on other than focusing.

I personally think that assessing focus with the EM-5 is easier than with E-5 (probably result of practicing and getting confidence in the setup), however the EVF lag and "blackout" at the end of a burst mean that tracking BIFs is more challenging since you cannot trust what is displayed in the EVF.

If you do so for a subject in motion, the delay means that actual placement of subject in a frame gets increasingly displaced for each frame, up to the point where it gets clipped. So what I try to do is to shoot a burst of 4 or 5 frames while trying to preserve focus. More than this fills no real purpose if the frame is reasonably filled since the later frames will gradually become clipped, and quite often the best (sharpest) frame is the first or second one as it is easier to assess when the subject gets into focus than keeping the subject in focus.

Still learning...

Not even in burst mode???!!! Huge difference!
Are you talking about AF? Refresh my soggy memory.... do you have a 7D and Canon lenses or do you just use it on your scope? 7Ds are quite cheep now. I hesitate to get anything yet though because I want to see what the 7D Mark II looks like. If it is what the rumors indicate, it could easily replace my D7100 and my E-M1. I have the 400/5.6 L USM and it is quite good. Works well with the E-M1. But frankly, I am getting a little tired of MF! There are other things I would like to be able to concentrate on other than focusing.

Dan,

When shooting BIF, my settings are are:
Burst mode: Low - Frames per second = 5

I don't seem to get any lag nor blackout. If there is some, it is very minimal. The problem is to get accurate focus and the EM-1 is not the best there is. Same performance when Burst speed is set to High-10 fps.

The 7D is quite old now. It was introduced in 2009. I would wait for the Mark II version.

Personnaly, I will not return to DSLRs. True, I miss good PDAF performance for BIF but that's all. I definitely prefer the EVF over the OVF and W E I G H T is the deciding factor.

I don't like manual focus either but can't afford a Big White Cannon so... If the coming Olympus 300mm is at a reasonable price, I will probably get one. Hopefully, there will also be a TC announced.

Regards
Jules

I have been having fun the last few days with the Canon 400/5.6 L USM stuck on my E-M1. A very nice combination, me thinks!
14542338186_d5568b16df_b.jpg

14564595032_4310910e4c_b.jpg

14372403659_b64467cb7b_b.jpg

I think of it as my mini scope, MF and fixed f-stop.;) Tempted to get a 1.4x Extender III. Big quality jump there over the earlier Canon TCs.

Thanks, Carlos.
This is the best picture of our house ;) though not so interesting of the bird.
14586803883_798a26e981_b.jpg

14565026284_2e715d8c7f_o.jpg

You can even see the pile of bricks along the foundation!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back