• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x32 ED V SP (1 Viewer)

Stargazer73

How does the new one compare to the old?

I was disappointed by the standard 8x32 DCF SP which in my opinion, was in the same league, optically speaking, as a £100 porro (my celestron Ultima DX 8x32 which cost me £84 was actually better...).

The main flaws were:

The excess of CA (is the ED actually effective?)
The average sharpness, even at the centre of the field
The massive field curvature
The limited eye-relief

I would like to hear from people who have actually compared the two in real life.

How big is the gap between a Pentax 8x32 DCF ED and a Leica Ultravid HD 8x32?

I recommend you start at the top and work your way up, it’s far less expensive, less time consuming and more satisfying. You can spend time enjoying nature rather than worrying about your next upgrade and how you will pay for it.

If you are a fellow sufferer of “Upgrader’s Disease” the first step is to admit it. The next step is to use the disease to cure the disease by going right to the top.
You will be forced to stop there - because there is nothing better and it will actually save you lots of money you would have expended in half steps.

The Pentax DCF ED is a great place to start. An improvement from the DCF ED will cost you two or three times as much and the gains are too small to justify for anyone but the most hopeless binocohalics. You can lift DCF ED and be happy you obtained excellent quality at half the price without any risk of being branded a "binocular snob".

After years of comparing I still have a high opinion of this binocular, while some others have gone through dozens of lesser models (at far more expense) searching for binocular ecstasy in incremental steps.

I note the noble (possibly thrifty) efforts of many contributors of this forun to extract $2000 quality at a cost of $450 with ED products from Asia, which so far appear to have ended in bitter disappointment, frustration financial mayhem and endless dissatisfaction and upgrading, Many continue wander these forums like hungry ghosts yearning for a better optical shot in the arm.

The $450 the newcomers have raised the standard for $450 bins. But for not much more money Pentax is delivering a superior product in construction, image quality, and support.

I am sorry but do not have he 8x32 but do have access to the 8X43. Chromatic aberration is virtually non existent on the Pentax ED that I am viewing. This Pentax is made in Japan and the quality control on our sample is excellent.

So far I have not seen any/many critical posts from anyone who has actually held the Pentax ED in their hand and used them. I have seen “would a, could a. should a," posts and specification quoting from people who have not actually held them in their hands. Certainly no where near the bitching of those who have purchased the latest crop of ED wonder bins from China hoping they could beat the top glass for a fraction of the price.

I would encourage anyone to have a look and compare it in the field with binoculars costing as much as twice to two and one half the times the price of the Pentax and determine for yourself it is in the same league as the best glass out there without much compromise.

I have noticed its easier to find Pentax discounted than it is to find some other brands discounted.

Last edited:
I don't suffer from the "Upgrader’s Disease" thank you.;)

Unfortunately you did not answer my questions, I'd like to hear from someone who has actually compared the 8x32 SP against the ED version (I don't care about the 43mm as I'm looking for a 32mm which is more compact and has a much better FOV):

Has the 8x32 DCF ED addressed the issues found on the previous model?

Thanks,

Pentax DCF ED vs Pentax DCF SP

The significant differences are all in the optics. The EDs may well be the brightest binoculars we’ve seen in the under $1000 price class. The ED glass contributes to the superb light transmission (part of it is in the coatings of course), but also helps the image sharpness and clarity. We also appreciated the high contrast of the image. Overall, the image quality was excellent.
http://www.optics4birding.com/pentax-dcf-ed-binoculars-review.aspx

This is brilliant

I recommend you start at the top and work your way up, it’s far less expensive, less time consuming and more satisfying. You can spend time enjoying nature rather than worrying about your next upgrade and how you will pay for it.

If you are a fellow sufferer of “Upgrader’s Disease” the first step is to admit it. The next step is to use the disease to cure the disease by going right to the top.
You will be forced to stop there - because there is nothing better and it will actually save you lots of money you would have expended in half steps.

The Pentax DCF ED is a great place to start. An improvement from the DCF ED will cost you two or three times as much and the gains are too small to justify for anyone but the most hopeless binocohalics. You can lift DCF ED and be happy you obtained excellent quality at half the price without any risk of being branded a "binocular snob".

After years of comparing I still have a high opinion of this binocular, while some others have gone through dozens of lesser models (at far more expense) searching for binocular ecstasy in incremental steps.

I note the noble (possibly thrifty) efforts of many contributors of this forun to extract $2000 quality at a cost of $450 with ED products from Asia, which so far appear to have ended in bitter disappointment, frustration financial mayhem and endless dissatisfaction and upgrading, Many continue wander these forums like hungry ghosts yearning for a better optical shot in the arm.

End quote

This is brilliant. Me to a tee. Sending my latest rubbish China ED back. Looking at the Pentax. I'd like a cheaper than the most expensive 10x though to go with my brilliant el 8x. The Bushnell Ultra HD I found to be pretty good but I unfortunately sold mine. They actually produced a better image than my el on many occasions but they were also good to have as a pair to let me see how good the el's are after I had been using the Bushnell. So these China ed's can have a use.

Thanks

Some quick binocular economics

Scenario 1 "scope creep"
- Starter binocular $60
- Upgrade #1 $200-$250
- Upgrade #2 $500-$750
- Upgrade #3 $1000
- Upgrade #4 $2000 or more
- End point. Nothing better available.

- Total spend $3810

Scenario 2 "The Big Bang"
- Saving up for the best you can afford. $2000 or whatever you comfort level is.
- End point. Nothing better available.
- Total spend $2000 which saves $1810 (a savings of 47.5% from Scenario 1)

These possible scenarios are for a mild case of upgrade’rs disease. A sever case can go on for years and the half steps have taken some into an expensive quest comparing one unsatisfying view with another along with divorce, rejection by the family pets and excessive nitpicking on binocular forums (which I enjoy reading). I borrow lots of other bins in the field to compare on evey outing I go on so I fully understand the need for first hand reports and I totally agree.

Its true I do not have the 8X32 Pentax ED. I have the 10X32 HD Ultravid, 10X42 HD Ultravid, 8X43 Pentax ED, 10X25 Ultravid and Nikon XLX 10X25. Have owned some Zeiss bins too.

Hopefully someone will help who has seen the Pentax 8X32 ED and the Ultravid HD 8X32.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm cured

Hi TV

although I have been following the New Swaro CL reports which so far seem to be very favourable. I also saw that Minox are doing HG 10x42 for a seemingly good price of less than £600.

I actually went the other way with scopes. Started with an almost the best then got 2 of the best (to try didgiscoping) and then went back to a small cheapish (ED and very good, not chinese) and I've been satisfied with that ever since, thank goodness.

Also now I have only one binocular but being a very nice little el I could not go backwards from that and could only live with something very good as an addition and since I cannot afford to release the money for what would look like I would wish for i.e a Swaro el 10x30 then I think I am just going to have to go through some withdrawal. Someday I hope to satisfy the craving again though but at the moment economics is more of a concern unfortunatley and things look like they are going to worse.

But overall it is certinly sensible to buy a quality optic if possible early. The resale value is always there also.

Hi TV
But overall it is certinly sensible to buy a quality optic if possible early. The resale value is always there also.

Sorry to hear about Ireland's continuing economic doldrums. I read that one Irish bank alone lost $3.7 trillion! And that many young people from Ireland are emigrating elsewhere rather than face a life of hardship.

"Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...."

If Congress doesn't pass the budget on time, they will need to send somebody to the Statue of Liberty to scratch out "your poor" from her pledge sign.

I agree that it is overall sensible to buy quality optics since they will provide more years of trouble free viewing, but IMO $2K isn't a "sensible" price for quality binoculars. Fortunately, there are other good quality optics at lower price points or on the used market or sold as demos or refurbs.

I disagree with buying quality optics "if possible early". The early birds get the "worm" - that is, bugs in the design. My philosophy is that its better to wait for others to buy the "latest and greatest" and find out what works and what doesn't.

Some examples were the EDG I with the loose focusers and the ED2s with the "veiling glare". Those companies went back to the drawing board and fixed the problems. Unfortunately, in the case of Nikon, that fix will cost you around $1,000 more. The ED2 v. 2 didn't cost any more and the stiff focuser, little travel focus past infinity, and veiling glare were all improved. So that was worth the wait.

Good Luck! with the Minox HGs. If you still have a "craving" for a 10x32, I recently saw a new 10x32 EDG for sale at $1,100.

Brock the Bargain Hunter

Hi Brock

Please don't be shocked/offended but I have to say that your picture gives me the creeps a little as it reminds me not of Ringo Star but a phsychopathic born again nut Ringo lookalike neighbour I used to have. I'm sure nothing like yourself but I only relaised he was a ringo lookalike when I saw your avatar. Sorry I couldn't help mention that. The memory is still scarred on my concious. Probably surprised you but honestly this guy was wacko so don't mind me if you ever want to change it. I'll try not to look meanwhile.

I have a little cash and on most days I ask myself weather to exchange some for a cl 10x30 and so far I have resisted. The price seems better if bought from Canada via ebay at about £670.

Maybe I will be having to divest my house in the not to distant so I could wait untill then. I'm holding out for now. I could look at it as a possibility for a new adventure though. I see things in the states are not to rosy also. On Newsnight here last evening they were showing homeless (previously middle class) living on matresses in community halls somewhere along the old route 66 and talking about the dust bowl again and complaining about all the Mexicans. The rich seem to be acquiring all and it surely must become intolerant for the loosers or victims if things carry on like this for much longer.

Still a lot of people on £100k + salaries here and although the minority they could easily afford the Swaro price tag. I think its us more ordinary folks that actually hanker after and would use them more.

I am finding anyway that my one bin is actually all I really need in fact I sold the others for money of course but also to force me to use the el and the more I do the more I am impressed and satisfied.

I won't be bothering with the Minox or anything else as I have just gone completely off larger bins so I am only nterested in this 10xCL or possibly a future 10x32Swarovision.

I can be patient (although its unusual) and wait as you say for things to settle down and look for something of a bargain. These things for me are not something I buy every day. Its something if I still have the interest to buy as a treat if/when circumstances allow. Definitely not a neccessity. I do appreciate them as great products.

I'm so delusional that I've wagered some money on the lottery so I will let luck's will decide but I've a funny feeling there would have been more hope at the bottom of an Irish Whiskey bottle and I'm not going to try that again. Well never say never I suppose.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about Ireland's continuing economic doldrums. I read that one Irish bank alone lost $3.7 trillion! And that many young people from Ireland are emigrating elsewhere rather than face a life of hardship.

"Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free...."

If Congress doesn't pass the budget on time, they will need to send somebody to the Statue of Liberty to scratch out "your poor" from her pledge sign.

I agree that it is overall sensible to buy quality optics since they will provide more years of trouble free viewing, but IMO $2K isn't a "sensible" price for quality binoculars. Fortunately, there are other good quality optics at lower price points or on the used market or sold as demos or refurbs.

I disagree with buying quality optics "if possible early". The early birds get the "worm" - that is, bugs in the design. My philosophy is that its better to wait for others to buy the "latest and greatest" and find out what works and what doesn't.

Some examples were the EDG I with the loose focusers and the ED2s with the "veiling glare". Those companies went back to the drawing board and fixed the problems. Unfortunately, in the case of Nikon, that fix will cost you around $1,000 more. The ED2 v. 2 didn't cost any more and the stiff focuser, little travel focus past infinity, and veiling glare were all improved. So that was worth the wait.

Good Luck! with the Minox HGs. If you still have a "craving" for a 10x32, I recently saw a new 10x32 EDG for sale at $1,100.

Brock the Bargain Hunter

Brock,

The "fix" of the Nikon's (and I'm not convinced that the focusers were the problem yet--until I get my hands on a new one and check it out for myself) didn't cost a thousand bucks more. Maybe a $100.00 more or so, if that. And you have to consider that the binocular was also completely redesigned externally. When the EDG I originally came out it cost about the same as the EDG II costs now. As you recall, when they decided to change they sold the older EDG I's at REAL good discounts! They are gone for the most part, but if any are still around at those prices I would certainly advise any prospective buyer to get one.

Bob

erm... the thread is about the Pentax DCF 8x32 binoculars...

This is a more than fair comment for an original poster to make!

These threads get so off course sometimes that I do not blame someone for not even wanting to post a ?

It is like that game where people whisper in some ones ear next to them and it passes down the line and before you get to the third person (post)- no one knows what the original comment is.

Last edited:
I agree, but the thread began unraveling here a ways back. I think it may be because there aren't all that many Pentax users who have compared theirs to the Leica Ultravid or even to other binoculars. I know one happy Pentax user who leads birding groups around my area on occasion and he doesn't belong to Bird Forum, ignoring my suggestion that he join.

And, alas, we have now gone off the thread that went off the earlier thread by discussing this. My apologies.

Bob

Pentax 8x32 DCF SP-$374.95

Not the Pentax 8x32 DCF ED- and not asking the $899.99 claiming price either which begs the inquiry, in this day and age of cheap ED glass, if indeed 375 clams is appropriately priced for a non-ED in 8x32 w/o alpha name appeal.

Both are listed at 393' FOV and of course the new ED model comes in different skin. The claim of value is tied in part to the warranty.

Pentax will repair or replace it to the original purchaser (even if damaged by fault) for a charge of $19.95, to cover handling and return shipping.

Granted, the 8x32 size should be smaller/lighter and it seems more of the Chinese ED glass in entry level is of the full sized variety.

At around 150 samoleons, though only 294' FOV, I'd have to give some consideration to the Pentax 9x28 DCF LV. Not as high a quality, but also not priced around entry level ED. Upgrader’s Disease notwithstanding.

The Pentax 9 x 28 DCF LV is a handy little binocular to have around as a car binocular or a backyard/backup bin, or to take trekking (like my son did with mine) through the mountains of south Peru, western Bolivia and northern Chile but it is not one you would like to use as a primary birding instrument.

It has it's good points: Long eye relief; ruggedness and waterproofing (it survived a shore side dunking in Lake Titicaca and much rough treatment); light weight (about 14 ounces), commendable sharpness, a reasonably sized sweet spot and ease of use but it also has it's bad points like a narrow FOV and astigmatic edges.

My wife liked it very much when she used it. My son got to see a Condor through it and was happy with that but now he is using my #2 Columbia (by Kruger) 8 x 25 in his travels.

Bob

Last edited:
Granted and though 150 bucks wouldn't break the bank neither should it be expected to compete much outside of the price or 28 MM size.

OP didn't care for the 8x32 DCF SP, so I doubt the 9x28 DCF LV would be of much interest. I'd think that the smaller size roofs would appeal to those placing quite a bit of importance on portability. 4.6 x 4.5" x 1.8" @ 12.9 oz.

I wouldn't mind a 28 mm, but these for 150 bucks aren't particularly luring me to open my wallet.

Hi....about the Pentax ED vs, SP..YES..The ED is better ,.If You like the SP feel ,but would like to see it with improved optics ,that is what the ED is,Noticeable better optics in the same body....Has no CA,this makes it a bit sharper ,and contrast is extraordinary due to AMAZING AR multicoatings (Pentax is a pioneer in the formulation of optical coatings since the Asahi and Takumar times of legendary photo lenses)..It focus super close( but it does not have a lot of override past infinity focus ,about 3.5 diopters at the most..)and feels like You can abuse It in the field without fears ,for it is SUPER robust( althouhg,as I would mention later I found the focus wheel to feel a bit less robust , than the rest of the bino)

I have owned two units of the ED ,both 8x32..bought one in Amazon warehouse for peanuts, before the model was popular at all.(two hundred and something dollars!!!!! REALLY,...and It was there for weeks before I realized!).Sold it after a while and got a second unit ,a demo,also really cheap...(4 hundred).
This unit was not as good.Not as sharp to my eye...maybe collimation?,and It didnt focus past infinity for more than three diopters,so I was not able to reach focus without my glasses on, althoug I was able with the first unit...
Called PentaX USA about this and got BAD customer service given by an "EXPERT",that didnt know what the concept of "override past infinity focus" meant,..maybe He was right and It doesnt meant anything..
In anycase,sample difference was obvious .I probably would not have noticed any problem with the second unit if i would have not owned the previous Cherry pair..

Build quality is on par with the SP series,but I find the focus ring in the ED series a bit flimpsy for such expensive binocular,although works well and I didn´t experience any problems with it,..it just felt "plasticky"
The Pentax SP feels super solid ,but I agree is not up to the challenge with the kind of optics that You can get this days for its price,or with a good porro .
The ED is nice enough and expensive enough to make you feel "upgraded",without keeping You looking Up the way,but i can easily
feel the bino to be overpriced.
I havent used any of the MID-High,ED or HD new offers from MINOX,VORTEX,etc to know how they compare ,being slightly cheaper than the Pentax ED,but I imagine performance to be in par.

Last edited:
Hi....about the Pentax ED vs, SP..YES..The ED is better ,.If You like the SP feel ,but would like to see it with improved optics ,that is what the ED is,Noticeable better optics in the same body....Has no CA,this makes it a bit sharper ,and contrast is extraordinary due to AMAZING AR multicoatings (Pentax is a pioneer in the formulation of optical coatings since the Asahi and Takumar times of legendary photo lenses)..It focus super close( but it does not have a lot of override past infinity focus ,about 3.5 diopters at the most..)and feels like You can abuse It in the field without fears ,for it is SUPER robust( althouhg,as I would mention later I found the focus wheel to feel a bit less robust , than the rest of the bino)

I have owned two units of the ED ,both 8x32..bought one in Amazon warehouse for peanuts, before the model was popular at all.(two hundred and something dollars!!!!! REALLY,...and It was there for weeks before I realized!).Sold it after a while and got a second unit ,a demo,also really cheap...(4 hundred).
This unit was not as good.Not as sharp to my eye...maybe collimation?,and It didnt focus past infinity for more than three diopters,so I was not able to reach focus without my glasses on, althoug I was able with the first unit...
Called PentaX USA about this and got BAD customer service given by an "EXPERT",that didnt know what the concept of "override past infinity focus" meant,..maybe He was right and It doesnt meant anything..
In anycase,sample difference was obvious .I probably would not have noticed any problem with the second unit if i would have not owned the previous Cherry pair..

Build quality is on par with the SP series,but I find the focus ring in the ED series a bit flimpsy for such expensive binocular,although works well and I didn´t experience any problems with it,..it just felt "plasticky"
The Pentax SP feels super solid ,but I agree is not up to the challenge with the kind of optics that You can get this days for its price,or with a good porro .
The ED is nice enough and expensive enough to make you feel "upgraded",without keeping You looking Up the way,but i can easily
feel the bino to be overpriced.
I havent used any of the MID-High,ED or HD new offers from MINOX,VORTEX,etc to know how they compare ,being slightly cheaper than the Pentax ED,but I imagine performance to be in par.

I almost bought a pair of the Pentax 8x32ED New on Ebay. The last month I have seen them as low as $548. new, but the low price & sellers I have not dealt with made me shy away. The regular power sellers still have them listed in the mid $700 range or higher. I wonder whats up with the lower prices ??? Maybe Vortex , Zen Ray etc. are putting the sales squeeze on the mid range priced ED binos...gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back