• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our Two Resident Hummers (1 Viewer)

axiscat

Hello all,

We are new here and wanted to share a couple of pictures we made today. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Attachments

• Female.jpg
    Female.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Male.jpg
    Male.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 216
Welcome to BirdForum sure one of the Mods. will be along soon with an official welcome. What beautiful birds wish we had those in England.

Look forward to seeing more of your pictures and reading about your birds, but beware this site is highly addictive.

Lovely photos - looks like a couple of juveniles - the red gorget on the male is just forming. Have you ever seen the books re: hummers " A Hummingbird in My house" by Arnette Heidcamp?

Axis those are excellent photos!!
It even looks like they are sipping from the same buddliea bloom with the same pose.How'd you get them to do that ??
-stephen :h?:

Thanks for all the wonderful comments... we very much enjoy whatching and photographing our hummingbirds. And yes Stephen, that is the same buddliea bloom. We cut a piece from our bush and attached it to the tip of our feeder. : )

The hummers are filling up for their loooooong journey south - such fat little birds! Refilled all my feeders and they've been coming steadily.
My daughter called re: a neighbor found a hummer in their garage (thought it was a "woodpecker"????????) It was quite placid - my son-in-law took over a feeder (which he left for them to use) to see what could be done. The neighbor said the bird had a hair in its mouth but it wouldn't come out???????????? Wow - ignorance abounds. It was explained to him that was the bird's tongue. Needless to say this hummer didn't make it - but at least they are now educated re: hummers.

Hi, Axiscat!

On behalf of the staff and admin at BirdForum, a warm if somewhat belated welcome!

And wow, what a great idea that is, putting a branch of flowers on your feeder. May I steal, er, borrow your idea? ;)

I'd like to second Niels' suggestion for adding your shots to the gallery. They're truly gorgeous photos of species that are particularly difficult to shoot.

Katy Penland said:
Hi, Axiscat!

On behalf of the staff and admin at BirdForum, a warm if somewhat belated welcome!

And wow, what a great idea that is, putting a branch of flowers on your feeder. May I steal, er, borrow your idea? ;)

I'd like to second Niels' suggestion for adding your shots to the gallery. They're truly gorgeous photos of species that are particularly difficult to shoot.

Thank you for the welcome and nice comments on the pictures. Of course you can steal the idea, especially because we borrowed it from someone else. ; )

This is about our third week of successfully turning out good photos with our setup and as we experiment and learn we keep getting better and better shots. We will be posting soon in the gallery.

Hi,

Welcome and very nice pictures!!

My Wife's parents are from Elkton,Ky. (about 7 miles out on Highland Lick Road). Beautiful country in Todd county.

Cheers,bob

bobky said:
Hi,

Welcome and very nice pictures!!

My Wife's parents are from Elkton,Ky. (about 7 miles out on Highland Lick Road). Beautiful country in Todd county.

Cheers,bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is at times like this that I realize just how small of a world we live in. I used to work in Russellville, which is about 30mi east of Elkton, and would take Highland Lick Road to work often.... I probably drove by your wife's parent's house a hundred times. You guys are making us feel at home already. : )

Darrell & Melissa

axiscat said:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is at times like this that I realize just how small of a world we live in. I used to work in Russellville, which is about 30mi east of Elkton, and would take Highland Lick Road to work often.... I probably drove by your wife's parent's house a hundred times. You guys are making us feel at home already. : )

Darrell & Melissa

Hi,

As you say: small world;Her father, Edwin T. Motsinger, is from Russellville :)

We had a Rufous over-Winter with us last Winter, so you might want to keep your feeder up late;at least until early December.

Here is a picture of their house. They had numerous Hummingbirds at two feeders :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/bobky/Westkytrip_0023.jpg

Cheers,bob and jo

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back