• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawthorne glass (1 Viewer)

marinemaster

Hi,

I am curious about the Hawthorne glass. What I am interested in is how it compares to the Mojave model glass ? It looks like Leupold has 4 levels of glass such as BX-1 and BX-2 and BX-3 and BX-4. So I am not sure under what category Hawthorne is. Could it be is similar to BX-3 glass ? I am pretty sure is not BX-4 glass or BX-1 glass, so is either BX-2 or BX-3 level, but I think it may be the BX-3 level. Anybody has any ideas ? Input appreciated.

It appears to be difference in their prism coatings.

As near as I can tell Hawthornes are upgraded versions of the BX-2 Cascades. According to Eagle Optics the Hawthornes are FMC on all air to glass surfaces. The BX-2 Cascades were not. Their exteriors are very similar in appearance and both are made in Japan as stated on the bottom of the left objective tube. It looks like the BX-2 Cascades are discontinued.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leupold/leupold-hawthorne-7x42-binocular

The BX-3 Mojave's are open frame binoculars but I have never had the opportunity to use one. Eagle optics says they are FMC and have "mirror" coated prisms, whatever that means. They do not make that statement for the prisms on the Hawthornes.

I have the 7 x 42 BX-2 Cascade and it is a very good binocular for the price.

I suggest you go to the Eagle Optics site above and review their comments on the binoculars in question.

Bob

Last edited:
Love my Hawthornes. They are my 'go to' birding glass.

I venture to say they are BETTER quality than the Mojave--Leupold can't /won't make any money off these. Perhaps they are too expensive to market as a 7x42.

Remember the Northfork?--perhaps same situation with the McKinley coming out.

FWIW, many of the Cabela's line of binos are the same as Leupold's.

I believe that the Cold Mirror coating on the Mojave is roughly similar to dielectric prism coatings producing near the highest transmission. I couldn't find any info on the prism coatings of the Hawthorne. I've not gotten to try the Hawthorne but do have a beaten up pair of Mojaves I purchased cheaply - good glass but always produced a "tunnel-vision" effect despite a decent enough FoV.

I did order the Mojave 8x32. I think is out sometime in October. If the eye relief is good that would be great. I will wait on the 7x42 as I am looking for portability. I will report back when I get it. Still nothing can compare 7x42 relaxed view.....

I believe that the Cold Mirror coating on the Mojave is roughly similar to dielectric prism coatings producing near the highest transmission. I couldn't find any info on the prism coatings of the Hawthorne. I've not gotten to try the Hawthorne but do have a beaten up pair of Mojaves I purchased cheaply - good glass but always produced a "tunnel-vision" effect despite a decent enough FoV.

That's due to the 51.7* AFOV, which is on the narrow side. The TFOV of 7.3* in an 8x bin would feel more open @ 58.4* AFOV. The AFOV in the Hawthorne is akin to 7x50 binoculars, which most people wouldn't use for birdwatching.

<B>

Last edited:
The Hawthornes are the same as the BX-2 Cascades except the glass has been upgraded to FMC on all air to glass surfaces.

I have the 7 x 42 BX-2 Cascade. It has the same FOV as the 7 x 42 Hawthorne. It does not by any stretch have "tunnel vision." If you can live with the FOV of 393'@1000yards (7.5º) which the Nikon 8x32 SE has you can live with the FOV of 388.5'@1000yards which the 7 x 42 Hawthorne has. 390'@1000yards is the same at 7x or at 8x. It is what you "see;" not what you "feel." For this reason I have never understood why people talk of AFOV and TFOV.

In roof prisms 7x42 or 8x42 binoculars of the same brand have virtually the same measurements and weights.

You don't find many 7x50 or 8x50 roof prisms because they are as heavy as anchors, much like 7x50 and 8x50 porro prisms are, which is the real reason most people don't use them for birdwatching. But you will find people using 10 x 50s and compromising their size and weight with getting a larger Exit Pupil along with more power and here AFOV and TFOV are not considerations.

Bob

Love my Hawthornes. They are my 'go to' birding glass.

I venture to say they are BETTER quality than the Mojave--Leupold can't /won't make any money off these. Perhaps they are too expensive to market as a 7x42.

Remember the Northfork?--perhaps same situation with the McKinley coming out.

FWIW, many of the Cabela's line of binos are the same as Leupold's.

Just got the 7x42 Hawthornes :t: & also agree .... how can Leupold distribute these to dealers & have them sell at the price point I paid($253) shipped. The last time I purchased a 7x42 that left me with such a positive impression was a 7x42 BA trinovid & that cost me 3-1/2 times what I paid for the Leupold's . I am now thinking about buying a second pair as a backup ........ gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back