• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Milk bottle top adapter (Nikon P330 to Swarovski 25-50X) (1 Viewer)

Laurie93

I've recently replaced my aged 10 year old coolpix with the Nikon P330 (which is a HUGE improvement!), so I've had to make a new adapter. My last one was made out of a savlon spray bottle top, however I had to carry it separately from the eyepiece and the camera, and there was always a danger of loosing it or it breaking (which it did not long ago!).

After a couple of weeks of inspecting various bottles and tubing, I realized that the inner diameter of a milk bottle top was just the right size for the P330. However the outer diameter was a little too big to fit inside the eye cup of the eyepiece, so I cut the notching on the outside of the bottle top off and sanded away just under a millimetre of the eye cup until it fitted snugly.

To get the perfect distance of the lens to the eyepiece, I cut out and sanded down another thin bit of plastic into a ring and blue tacked it down.

The advantage of this adapter is that I will keep it inside the eyepiece even when just using the scope for birding, so its always in place if I want to take a photo, and its impossible for it to loose or break.

The only slight disadvantage is that you have to hand hold it, so in low light the images might become blurred, however I haven't had this problem yet and I don't really see it as one - modern cameras these days are able to keep their shutter speeds so high even in really dim conditions! If it is too dark for hand held though, I can flip the camera portrait and it will securely stay in place without me touching it. Then the self timer can be used.

It's certainly the best adapter I've made to date. Why spend so much money on massive complicated universal camera adapters! All I have to do is slip my camera out of my pocket and put it into the eyepiece and its perfectly aligned!

I hope this might inspire some to give making something similar ago!

Attachments

• Adapter1.JPG
    Adapter1.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Adapter2.JPG
    Adapter2.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Adapter3.JPG
    Adapter3.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 256
  • Adapter4.JPG
    Adapter4.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
Hi Laurie, excellent job, thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this on my trusty Kowa 824, it can be a real pain trying to find the optimal alignment, which I usually achieve just after the bird has finished posing! :-O

Nice job. I just ordered a P330 myself and intend to make something similar för my Kowa 25-60 eyepiece. At what focal length does this short adapter work?

Nice job. I just ordered a P330 myself and intend to make something similar för my Kowa 25-60 eyepiece. At what focal length does this short adapter work?

The camera works throughout the whole range of focal lengths, however you have to zoom in to about 40mm (1/3 of the zoom) for vignetting to disappear at 25x on my eyepiece, and about 30mm (1/4 of the zoom) for it to disappear at 50x. I find I get the best results using about 40mm at 25x and then cropping the photo. If the conditions are bright enough, the zoom on the eyepiece can be increased to gain slightly more detail.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to ask any more.

Laurie

made the bottle top adapter and tried it on a nikon ed82 with a nikon p330 camera works great,thanks laurie you saved me some money.

Ive come on this forum to ask about an adapter for my p330 and my ed82 using the 30x w ds eye piece. Is this the one you are using David??

thats the one mark, i also use the same eye piece as you, the plastic that goes in the bottle top i cut out the centre of a dvd disc and emery papered it till it fit nicely inside the bottle top,the hole in the disc is perfect for the camera lens, as laurie said you have to hand hold the camera but i have no proplem with doing this.

nice pic mate. can you post a pic of your set up David?
Im not sure I can picture how that would work with our eyepiece due to the size of it!

Thanks mate

mark the eyepiece in my scope is a 30 x wf

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0006-001.JPG
    DSC_0006-001.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0010.JPG
    DSC_0010.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_0014.JPG
    DSC_0014.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 155
a ha !! that's why I couldn't get my head round it!
thanks david.
Ive finally made something that appears to work!
I tried different lids of different things and found the lid off a bottle of Nip Wax clothes wash fits perfectly over my eyepiece. Also as a stroke of luck, it has some ridges on the inside which when you push the lid on stop it at the right distance.
Ive then drilled a hole the size of the camera lens which I then push in. It worked well on a chimney pot.
Looking forward to trying it properly.
What camera settings do you guys use on the p330 ??

aperture priority
spot metering
wb auto
iso sensitivity auto
image quality fine
image size largest
zoom memory on
start up zoom position 35mm (no vignetting)
noise reduction normal

those are mostly what i use mark, got the grey wag with those , not the greatest pic you will ever see or take but it does for me, anyway have a dabble with those and hopefully from those you will find better

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back