• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Papilios experience anyone? (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
Now that my major needs concerning optics are satisfied for the moment, I realize that it might be nice to have the Pentax Papilios as a sort of field microscope (with the advantage that they can be used as regular binoculars). What I don't find is whether they are water proof (probably not) or at least rain proof. Also, are they really as good as they are claimed to be on BVD?

They are not waterprrof in any way a far as I know. They are however quite good at being what they are. They give good resolution and adequate brightnes in the 6.5x version. My only complaint is one that can't be avoided, the fast focus required by the long range combined with the low power give quite a telephoto effect when zipping all the way from extreme to extreme.

I had heard a lot about the Papilio's and when I saw them on sale recently, I bought a pair. They are light, relatively well built, and the close focusing is amazing. I have the 8.5x model. They are not as bright as higher grade and larger binos, but the clarity and color are great. I have owned several different Pentax binoculars all the up to their SP's but I like these the best. I am enjoying the Papilio's very much and as they weren't that expensive, I don't have to worry about them like my EL's and Lx's.

KDGast said:
I had heard a lot about the Papilio's and when I saw them on sale recently, I bought a pair. They are light, relatively well built, and the close focusing is amazing. I have the 8.5x model. They are not as bright as higher grade and larger binos, but the clarity and color are great.

Thanks for the feedback. I am more inclined to go for the 6.5x as they should serve mainly for close observations.

I have the 6.5,s they are the most fun i ever had with binos.looking at spiders ,butterfly,s etc is amazing .No bino buff should be without these.For $109 a great value.
brian.

Papilio's

KDGast said:
I had heard a lot about the Papilio's and when I saw them on sale recently, I bought a pair. They are light, relatively well built, and the close focusing is amazing. I have the 8.5x model. They are not as bright as higher grade and larger binos, but the clarity and color are great. I have owned several different Pentax binoculars all the up to their SP's but I like these the best. I am enjoying the Papilio's very much and as they weren't that expensive, I don't have to worry about them like my EL's and Lx's.
Any idea where these Papilio's are manufactured?

udobolts said:
Any idea where these Papilio's are manufactured?

Hi

Saw a pair in dealer window last week and cant remember the exact phrase on the box but it went something along the lines of

"made in China under supervision or license for Pentax"

Hope this helps
Rich T

Any new insights on the Papilios?

The question whether the 6.5x model is preferable over the 8x, still has not really been solved. Though most posts seem to favor the lower mag.

Also, now that there has been a bit more time to try the model, are those of you who have a Papilio still equally enthusiastic about it as in your first post?

Swissboy said:
Also, now that there has been a bit more time to try the model, are those of you who have a Papilio still equally enthusiastic about it as in your first post?

Absolutely! The Pentax Papilio is, to quote myself, the most exciting development in binoculars since the invention of phase-correction coating. For close-up viewing NOTHING compares with them. They work flawlessly, are wonderfully engineered and constructed, and truly deserve to be called a bargain at their selling price of $110. I'd have been willing to pay $500 for them (or more!? It is hard to put a price on their ability to focus so closely given that they have no competition!).

--AP

Alexis Powell said:
Absolutely! The Pentax Papilio is, to quote myself, the most exciting development in binoculars since the invention of phase-correction coating. For close-up viewing NOTHING compares with them. They work flawlessly, are wonderfully engineered and constructed, and truly deserve to be called a bargain at their selling price of $110. I'd have been willing to pay $500 for them (or more!? It is hard to put a price on their ability to focus so closely given that they have no competition!).

--AP

Hi Alexis, thanks for your reply. You must have quoted yourself from another thread. So may I ask which model you have, the 6.5x or the 8x?

PS: Just found your answer to my question. I also tend towards the 6.5x.

Last edited:
I really like my new Papilio 6.5x21 models. They are the only binoc I have ever owned where I can keep the two images together at close focus. I even have a problem doing this with other binocs at 10ft or less...something about my eyes, I think.

The eye relief is just a tad short for me with my eyeglasses -- but the vignetting only cuts off maybe 10% of the field.

The close-focussing ability is simply astounding, and as others have said, these are really well-built bincoulars. The focussing is butter smooth -- 3 full turns from 1-1/2 ft to infinity, but for general birding, say from 10ft to infinity, it is less than 1 turn.

The resolution on my 6.5x models is incredible, given the price of this binoc. As good as my B&L Custom Compact 7x26. The one drawback of the Papilios is that they are relatively dim. I don't think their coatings are the best, and based on my observation, it doesn't look like the prisms are multi-coated. But I guess there has to be some cost-saving somewhere on such an inexpensive binocular.

What more can I say? Everyone should own one. I like to hike and backpack, and this will be the perfect binocular for these activities.

Why did I choose the 6.5x? A wider FOV and a brighter image.

I am still impressed by the resolution of the Papilio 6.5x. It holds up even at long distances.

And I am still disappointed by the dim view and poor eye relief.

I would pay $500 for a Papilio with full multi-coating, generous eye relief, in a 7x26 configuration.

I am leaving my B&L Custom Compact 7x26 next to my Papilos overnight. Maybe they will breed and make binocular offspring. ;)

trashbird said:
I am leaving my B&L Custom Compact 7x26 next to my Papilos overnight. Maybe they will breed and make binocular offspring. ;)

Good luck, let us know if you have any success. Meanwhile, let's hope Pentax is listening.

Where to buy Papilio's for $109??

medinabrit said:
I have the 6.5,s they are the most fun i ever had with binos.looking at spiders ,butterfly,s etc is amazing .No bino buff should be without these.For $109 a great value.
brian.

I'm just looking around for a good price on the 6.5s, anyone have a good spot to buy them for that price?

papillios

bcwildthing said:
I'm just looking around for a good price on the 6.5s, anyone have a good spot to buy them for that price?

Adorama NY has them for $109. They are very reliable people to deal with.
I get most of my optics stuff from them.
Brian.

medinabrit said:
Adorama NY has them for $109. They are very reliable people to deal with.
I get most of my optics stuff from them.
Brian.

EO has them for $119 shipping included. I have just got a pair waiting for me at my son's home. Still need to pick them up when I visit my grandchild around Easter.

Hi,

If these binocular begin to meet with success, we can be nearly sure that other manufacturer quickly will join in, perhaps with better models and (I hope) with not too high price tags.

Hi everybody,

This message just to inform you I bought a Papilio 6,5 x 30 mm, and I do not regret this purchase. This Pentax is sold for 125,00 euros in Germany.

Best Regards

Full MC Papilios

trashbird said:
I am still impressed by the resolution of the Papilio 6.5x. It holds up even at long distances.

And I am still disappointed by the dim view and poor eye relief.

I would pay $500 for a Papilio with full multi-coating, generous eye relief, in a 7x26 configuration.

Hello!
According to official Pentax info, the Papilios are fully multi-coated.
See catalogue for reference; it can be downloaded from:
http://www.pentaximaging.com/customer_care/manuals_literature

Papilios are on page 9.

They really seem to very interesting, complementing conventional binos.
I think I'll better have a pair before prices go up even more.
Cheers,
Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back