• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 400 f5.6 lens query. (1 Viewer)

senatore

I've had my trusty 400 f5.6 lens for many years now.It's a bit battered but seems to still operate OK with my 7D mk.1.

However in a hide last week I overheard some birder say that lenses should go back to the manufacturers for a service on a regular basis.Never heard this before and I wonder if this is true.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Max

Dont believe everything you hear in a hide! My thinking is if it ain't broke don't fix it.

My oldest lens is a 28-70 L which is about 20 years old, I bought it used about 8 years ago and have never had it serviced. The lens is still working as it should and delivers images just as good as they day I got it. I have heard someone telling people that the fluorite elements in these lenses goes off over time so after about five years a lens starts to degrade and the image quality drops. It is total nonsense. if you are happy with your lens then keep using it only get it serviced if actually needed.

There is an outfit, Lens Rentals ( http://www.lensrentals.com/blog ) that rents lenses and does exceptional work characterizing the performance of lenses. Their blog is a fun and informative read.
They are gingerly moving into the field of lens appraisal and repair, using their specialized gear.
In a couple of years, they should be far enough along to look at your lenses and optimize them, for a fee of course.
Until then , do as 'Postcardcv' has sagely noted, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back