• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven C3 50mm (1 Viewer)

cycleguy

Don't know if these have been out for a while or not, but I did get an email from Maven today saying NEW C.3 50mm Binocular, available in 10x50 and 12x50.

You can visit their website to see the particulars.

Equipment wise, probably more news here than Bird Fair!

Let the feuding begin!!!! 8-P

CG

i have no interest in the Maven C3 10x50 having a narrow 262 foot FOV and the 12x50 even narrower at 251 feet. "Tunnel Time." A lot of the Maven's are skimpy when it come's to FOV. The B3's and B2 9x45 are about the only ones that have a decent FOV. Maybe hunters don't need a big FOV like birder's. Did you know the Maven C3's are made in the Phillipines out of Chinese and Japanese components. The higher end series like the B3's are assembled in the US from Japanese components according to the website. I wonder if the C3's are made on the same line as the Sightron SII? They probably run Maven's on the day shift and Sightron's on the night shift.;) In China they run REAL North Face stuff on the day shift and then they run knock-off North Face stuff on the night shift in the same factory. Tract Toric's are still made in Japan including the lower end Tekoa's.

Last edited:
Dennis,

Obviously these are entry level binoculars, price point range approx $200-$425. It will be interesting to see how they compare to comparably priced models; and models priced a bit more since Maven's claim is no middleman so you get a bit more for your money. Tract doesn't appear to have any 50mm binoculars at this time.

CG

I kinda agree with that FOV issue.... I also realize they are reasonably priced.

Vortex offers Viper HDs in 10X50 and 12X50. FOV is better for the Viper HDs... I believe. 10X50 C1 is $400....Vortex Viper HD 10X50 $549.00... I believe I'd rather spend a little more and go with the Vortex even if it IS MIC.

The Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD, is a nice choice in the midrange, I have been using this one
for a while and really like it.
Nice quality fit and finish, there is a review of this model on the Meopta forum.

All Vortex binoculars are now made in China, that makes them the most expensive binoculars out
of China. That is a problem for me, my limit is $500. from China.

Lots of quality choices out there, not many in 12x50, the Meostar hits the sweet spot.

Jerry

The Meopta Meostar 12x50 HD is no doubt a good binocular but at $1295.00 really in a different class than the Maven C3 12x50 @ $425.00 or even the Vortex Viper HD 12x50 @$559.99. One thing I don't like about the Meopta is the 37 oz. weight compared to these two which tip the scales at about 28 oz.

Last edited:
They are both in totally different classes. A quality 12x50 is difficult, so the reason to look
at the higher end models is in order.

My 12x50's consist of Nikon Action, Action Extreme, and SE 12x50, and now the Meostar.

The Meopta surprised me by bettering the SE, and that is hard to do.

Jerry

While I liked the (Meostar 12X50 under Cabelas brand), and did not have trouble with the eye relief (ER) under the night sky, I had issues with it during daytime viewing, if it just had a bit more ER it would have been a keeper. I would take it that it is the same as the Meostar 12X50 with respect to ER.

I am looking for another 12X50 along with the SE which I have, so perhaps the Vortex or the Maven are something to look at.
I tried the Fujinon 12X60, and that did not work out, the eye-cups are the worst.

Andy W.

A close friend of mine has a real early pair of Vortex Razor 12x50's when they were still made in Japan and they are awesome, very bright, clear and crisp as well as light weight. I should've bought a pair back then now I just don't trust Vortex manufacturing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back