• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Washington -orange beaked bird (1 Viewer)

hasemar

Hello,

First off, I am no birder.

I did however, have an "encounter" with a small bird today on my way home from work. It looked like a juvenille, just learning to fly. I would love to know what kind of bird it was since it was very beautiful.

It was about the size of a sparrow, had the body type of a pearching bird.
Its beak was bright orange, and sort of broad, but comming to a definate point.
Its legs were also orange.

Its primary color,(memory may be a little fuzzy on this) was light gray, its secondary color was a copperish brown.

Its cheeks were very unique, they were the copperish brown, and the feathers sort of flaired out making them look kind of dished.

Its flank feathers were spotted/ speckled.

It had tail feathers that had spots as well but they were bigger, almost like a jungle cock.

The spots were black.

The bird looked as though it was trying to figure out the whole flying thing.
It followed me, hopping along for quite some time. I knelt down and put my hand out and it came up to me, I didnt touch it though, (for it's safety, not mine). I watched it just sit there for about 5 minutes or so and then it must have had a eureka moment about flying because it just took off.

Anyway, does anybody have any ideas on what kind of bird this was?
It was in Western Washington, around the South Puget Sound area.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back