• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your advice please..... (1 Viewer)

If you don't mind me sticking my ore in. I find Access a very versitile databas for which to store your records. It comes with Microsoft office so its widely used, whats more Pulling querry's off is a sinch. One data base to pull off lists for several countries makes for something to do on those windyrainy days when birding is a washout
Entering the latin names for species in the appropriate fields /date /Country of observation / etc. maybe time consuming on your first run but it helps eliminate duplicate records.
I lost 3 birds off my lists through exposing duplication this way. but I at least know what my 1,000 species was "Lazuli bunting" Arizona 23/4/00
So why buy recording software
John

Tony how long have you lived in Norfolk?, I mean 'macrowave' can you be serious or is it just dialect.

On a serious note I usually record my lists in Excel at the moment with various Internet world check lists, but am thinking of buying the new Thayer world database product, comments most welcome

Paul

To Jdbirdman

I have to agree it is much more fun designing your own database, in Access. Excel is OK but in terms of pulling specific data it has serious limitations. Best to save it for calculating how much you can afford to spend on travelling to see the birds that you could record in a proper database.

There are plenty of tips availble on the net for using Access and also there are a number of free IT courses around the country where you can gain a City and Guilds qualification which covers the use of Access and much more. I can provide details if anyone is interested.

Paul (aka Camberley Red)

Paul,
I have lived in Norfolk almost 2 1/2 months now - before that I used to live in Surrey !!!!! (Actually Surbiton, South London / Surrey). I said (and meant) macrowave because of the size of the damn thing - half a wall long ! And a massive 32 mb of memory (I have more than that in my digital camera !)

Tony

My point exactly ! great fun and you can't plame the software writers for missing entries.
A couple of years ago I wrote an article for birdwatch about how birders keep records. I emphasised the spin off to our hobby and the fun one can have saving their records from those old note books. You know the note that were scribbled down while being jostled about in the back of second hand cortina aftera binding day. All my records and lists are safe and sound now. All printed out on card and ring binded. Each country or county list has a laminated front cover with a particular chosen photograph of a memorable bird observed! Well ok a bit OTT but it makes for
John

Birdman, was Tina in the back of your cortina as well, which contributed to the wobbly handwriting. Many thanks to Ian Drury for the lyrics.

Keep on binding

Paul

You dont need to be able to write html nowadays, just tap it into your word processing package on your pc (dont think it works on the ZX80), click file - save as html, viola a webpage :t: , upload to you free/paid for webspace. job done.
I'm busy doing mine in Access, as it should be easier to query the data once I've got enough to query that is.... (four more added this weekend though Smew, Long-tailed duck, great northern diver and Pintail).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back