• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

moustached warbler ? (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

For several years I've been holding this bird as unrecognized. Some features point to moustached warbler. or not ? ? Can this bird be recognized at all?
Please help

Attachments

• [000540] (Copy).jpg
    [000540] (Copy).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1857 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1857 (Copy).jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1859 (Copy).jpg
    IMG_1859 (Copy).jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 82
Althogh the wings seems to be short, Im not convinded that this bird is not a Sedge warbler. The colours look better for this species than for Moustached, and I suspect that the pictures are of a quality that they can be misleading (no offense!) Some Sedge warbler can show a very blackish head pattern and I have the feeling that this bird is one example of them. See for example here : http://www.tarsiger.com/images/antero/Acrsch111932Hb.jpg

The pale wingpanel is also better for Sedge.
The colour of the legs are still within the variation for Sedge.

I have only experience of western Moustached warbler, but all were very striking birds (when you see them in a book, you think its difficult, but each time I saw them I thought "whow, what a disctive bird, almost by colour alone"). I dont know if this is also true for SSP mimica.

So this might well be a Moustached Warbler of this SSP, but if if the picture was taken in Western or Northern Europe I put my money on Sedge Warbler (but not to much!) or leave it unidentified

Alexander Stöhr

It was in Poland where the species would be quite a rarity I suppose. So, based on these pics I would not conclusively ID it as a Moustached. Lighting is also not the best...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back