• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (29 Viewers)

Morning on the ldv

Started with 60+ Whoopers,plenty of Mutes,20+Fieldfare,6 Yellowhammers,300+Teal and plenty of wigeon,100+Lapwing,Buzzard and Snipe.GSW,Reed buntings 25+Redshank,Bullfinch
Started to feel sorry for the black swan i just think he was lonely.

Attachments

• un1a.jpg
    un1a.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 95
  • wh1a.jpg
    wh1a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 88
  • wh21a.jpg
    wh21a.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 97
  • bs2a.jpg
    bs2a.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 88
  • bs3a.jpg
    bs3a.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 67
Afternoon

Weather not as good in the afternoon hence poor pics (thats my excuse!!)
nice grey wag, fieldfare again and a tree creeper who lost his tree!

Attachments

• ff1a.jpg
    ff1a.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 102
  • tc1a.jpg
    tc1a.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 133
  • tca1a.jpg
    tca1a.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 133
  • gw1.jpg
    gw1.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 138
Total of 7 red kites on the way to and from Swinsty Reservoir today, including 2 over Bramhope, and 3 by Weardley.

Saw a good number on the Harewood to Pool road this afternoon as well, Keith, including 3 perched in trees right on the roadside. A pity I didn't have the camera in the car with me!!

Richard

Hi there,

Anybody know how to get to Silverwood Lagoon and whereabouts the Jack Snipe as I will be passing through in the next week and have yet to see one this year.

Cheers, Sam

Hi there,

Anybody know how to get to Silverwood Lagoon and whereabouts the Jack Snipe as I will be passing through in the next week and have yet to see one this year.

Cheers, Sam

Hi
From the main crossroads in Ravenfield drive along Holling's Lane and park up on the LHS in the old pit entrance just before bus stop, roughly SK478940. Then follow the red line in the picture below to reach the lagoon. Unfortunately I dont know where the Jack Snipe has been though.

Attachments

• silverwood lagoon.jpg
    silverwood lagoon.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 184
LDV good then bad

After yesterdays highs todays low.This is all i could get all day very few birds to be found anywhere.:-C

Attachments

• b1a.jpg
    b1a.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 91
Caught up with the desert wheatear at Bempton this morning, just as we werte heading back to the car after waiting in the wind for ages, getting nothing but colder and colder. Quick drive across to Pugney's and the GND were soon in the scope then Angler's to dip the yank wigeon.

Caught up with the desert wheatear at Bempton this morning, just as we werte heading back to the car after waiting in the wind for ages, getting nothing but colder and colder. Quick drive across to Pugney's and the GND were soon in the scope then Angler's to dip the yank wigeon.

cheers for aiming me in the right direction for the desert wheatear this morning keith,

we didn't have to go far as it came to see us when i last saw it it was heading towards the car park, after passing wiithin about 3 feet of the end of my lense :t:

Anyone know about the Bean Goose at fairburn? Headed over but couldn't find one among the flocks of geese nor mention of it in the book. Dropped on 26 Barnacle geese there which was nice.

Lunchtime visitor.

Caught in my back garden this morning..Looking for lunch!

Attachments

• sh1a.jpg
    sh1a.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 90
  • sh2a.jpg
    sh2a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 97
  • sh3c.jpg
    sh3c.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 86
Caught in my back garden this morning..Looking for lunch!

Lovely pictures. What a beautiful bird. I'm surprised I've never seen one near us as we have a huge number of finches etc. visit our tree, although occasionally they all take flight for no apparent reason - maybe they've seen something I haven 't.

Sandra

Hi cliff,
Could you please tell me where in mickletown the leo are showing.
Regards
Mark.

HI MARK if you take the road from rothwell to castleford , when you get to methley turn left down church lane .go to the end , at the T junction its pinfold lane . turn left . after about 100 yds at T junction turn right. after about 400 yds you will see a paddock on your left and past there you will see a long row of terrace houses ,, at the far end just before a sharp right hand bend. park there . down the side of the terrace houses is an entranc to a field with a single barred gate.walk down the side of the field and pass a telegraph post to an open area were you can see across the water ..the owls are in the trees across the lake. i saw them first without my bins.. good luck

HI MARK if you take the road from rothwell to castleford , when you get to methley turn left down church lane .go to the end , at the T junction its pinfold lane . turn left . after about 100 yds at T junction turn right. after about 400 yds you will see a paddock on your left and past there you will see a long row of terrace houses ,, at the far end just before a sharp right hand bend. park there . down the side of the terrace houses is an entranc to a field with a single barred gate.walk down the side of the field and pass a telegraph post to an open area were you can see across the water ..the owls are in the trees across the lake. i saw them first without my bins.. good luck
Many thanks cliff.

Lovely pictures. What a beautiful bird. I'm surprised I've never seen one near us as we have a huge number of finches etc. visit our tree, although occasionally they all take flight for no apparent reason - maybe they've seen something I haven 't.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra,
The sparrows make a real eerie tweeting noise when the hawk appears and shuffle back and forth in the hawthorn hedge.I have even seen the hawk get inside the hedge and chase the sparrows!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back